This is just an FYI for those of you who eat a lot of tuna.
Several months ago, I discovered some tuna at the back of my supplement cupboard. I checked the date and it said the tuna was still good, so I ripped the pack open and ate it.
Within 15 minutes, I had broken out with uctaria over most of my body, especially my face and stomach. The next day, the rash continued to spread, I had mild edema, my heart was racing, and I started feeling something close to paranoia. So I went to a doctor. The doctor gave me some antihistamines, which killed the rash after a couple of days.
Of course, I assumed I had developed an allergy to fish. But a subsequent appointment with an allergist turned up nothing. I slowly introduced fish back into my diet and came up with a working theory that maybe I'd had a mercury overdose or something.
Anyway, my mother in law is a medical transcriptionist and last week she ran across a case identical to mine. The reaction is called scombroid poisoning. It is temporary, but no fun. Anyone interested can do an Internet search to learn more. But the take home messages are:
- Do not let tuna sit around indefinitely.
- Do not store tuna in a cupboard above a light, next to an oven, or remotely near any heat source.
Like I said, scombroid poisoning turned out to not be that big a deal, but I thought I'd pass the knowledge on, just for the T-Nation knowledge base...