T Nation

Tuna? How Much Is Too Much

I have reaad articles about how tuna in a can is high in alkalines and other metals such as mercury and what not…We all know how great tuna is for you and how it should be incorporated into a diet…But how much is too much tuna from a can?? Should we be limited on how many cans we have in a certain time period? I dont beleive ive ever read anywhere that has stated this…If anyone knows anything about this please let me know…thanks

I am currently eating about a can a day for the past week or two, its high in proteins and very healthy…i also beleive there are other things out there that will kill me before too many cans of tuna, but just for my own knowledge if this can be answered it would be great, thanks…

A CAN a day!? Man please stop yourself while you are still healthy. I did just this diet thinking “man tuna is so great” well you will end up with mercury poisoning and wont be able to function for about a week and have to spend roughly $100 at the doctor for medicine. It’s safe to eat tuna(or any kind of fish) at a max of 3-4 days a week. 5 days would be pushing it, right now i eat it 3 a week and im fine but 4 is the most i would recommend safely.

IW34, I’ve seen the FDA recommend up to 3 cans of LIGHT tuna per week or 1 can of ALBACORE per week. That’s for men and women who are beyond their child-bearing years. Light tuna has 1/3 of the mercury that albacore does.

Even though it is higher in your GOOD fats (Omega 3s), canned sockeye salmon might be a nice alternative

[quote]chris.fl wrote:
A CAN a day!? Man please stop yourself while you are still healthy. I did just this diet thinking “man tuna is so great” well you will end up with iron poisoning and wont be able to function for about a week and have to spend roughly $100 at the doctor for medicine. It’s safe to eat tuna(or any kind of fish) at a max of 4-5 days a week. 5 days would be pushing it, right now i eat it 3 a week and im fine but 4 is the most i would recommend safely.[/quote]

Are you serious?

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
I am currently eating about a can a day for the past week or two, its high in proteins and very healthy…[/quote]

I don’t understand why people like tuna. It doesn’t taste great, it is almost 100% protein (so you are getting very little cals for how filling it is), and there is a chance it is bad for you. Just go with chicken or beef man!

*I fixed my previous post, the 4-5 and the iron to mercury, there is still alot of iron in canned foods so you still can suffer from iron posioning with sypmtoms such as vommiting and diarrhea but mercury poison is the dangerous one that can alter your brain.

I eat a can a day…

and…

Iron poisoning??? geeeezzzz… I guess I better toss out my skillet right now.

oooooops, i’ve been having 5-10 cans per week for the past few months. working at an office all day, everyday, tuna is just so convenient. better cut it down to 5 per week max, i suppose.

Ahh well thanks for all the input from everyone!! I have been eating a can a day from monday to friday…but i will definitely lower that to about 3 a week, maybe just on workout days…how about the tuna in the plastic bags?? are they any better for you?? i usually always eat chicken and steak anyway but the tuna i like to throw in now and then for change…but thanks again for the input, i will definitely tweak my diet up…i did the GSD a few months back and i think i will be going back on before the summer…random but just throwing it out there

[quote]T234 wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:
I am currently eating about a can a day for the past week or two, its high in proteins and very healthy…

I don’t understand why people like tuna. It doesn’t taste great, it is almost 100% protein (so you are getting very little cals for how filling it is), and there is a chance it is bad for you. Just go with chicken or beef man!

[/quote]

It comes in a can and is almost all protein.

…how about the tuna in the plastic bags?? …[/quote]

The bags make no difference regarding the mercury content.

nice, well thanks again for all the input guys…i really dont eat tuna that often but i just started and got hooked on it for a bit…but im loving my steak and chicken as my main meals

I used to take a can of tuna, and a pouch of sea salted sunflower seeds to work with me, for about 6 months. Lost fat, was in realy great shape and still living. I am a tree hugger. Do not get excited about the nonsense about pollution. The Tuna is/was safe and I still eat it regular.

I just saw this and was wondering if you guys were serious. Is one can a day to to much? I ask because during the week I eat 2- 3 cans a day.

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:
I just saw this and was wondering if you guys were serious. Is one can a day to to much? I ask because during the week I eat 2- 3 cans a day.[/quote]

Yeah I was doing that for a while too. It’s hard not to when it’s so cheap and you’re on a budget and trying to get as much protein as possible.

This topic has been covered. Use the Search function.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=753983

Geez. You’d thing that tuna was the only fish that came in a can. Me … I prefer kippered herring. Lower on the food chain (i.e., less heavy metals), tastier and more of the healthy fats. Can’t go wrong.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
This topic has been covered. Use the Search function.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=753983

Geez. You’d thing that tuna was the only fish that came in a can. Me … I prefer kippered herring. Lower on the food chain (i.e., less heavy metals), tastier and more of the healthy fats. Can’t go wrong.[/quote]

LooseTool good call with that article, i read it, and i completely overlooked that one part of it about the 200lbs man and 3-4 cans per week, thanks alot…and i will definitely look into the Kippered Herring in the future, i think im gonna go this sunday actually and get a few cans…

on that note, does anyone have any good Kippered Herring meals/dishes??

on that note, does anyone have any good Kippered Herring meals/dishes??[/quote]

I eat it straight from the can. But you can use it the same as you do tuna to make a tuna salad, except you need less oil (mayo). Try this

12 ounces kippered herring
2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup celery, minced
2 tablespoons minced red onion
3 tablespoons horseradish
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon mustard
little bit of mayo if you want

Mush it all together and roll about a third of it up in a flax/oat bran/whole wheat wrap. Save the rest for later.

Ahh well thanks for all the input from everyone!! I have been eating a can a day from monday to friday…but i will definitely lower that to about 3 a week, maybe just on workout days…how about the tuna in the plastic bags?? are they any better for you?? i usually always eat chicken and steak anyway but the tuna i like to throw in now and then for change…but thanks again for the input, i will definitely tweak my diet up…i did the GSD a few months back and i think i will be going back on before the summer…random but just throwing it out there[/quote]

You might want to go re-read Beradi’s recommendationg concerning the GSD.

FDA says 3-4 cans a week. Adult males might tolerate more than children, elderly and pregnant women. Albacore has less mercury than yellow tuna. Tilapia has almost none, but does not come in a can. Other canned fish like the herring and mackrel have far less. The herring is not bad. They even come in flavors like cajun, BBQ, etc. If mercury is a concern, and taking into account the boring factor of tuna, just supplement with protein powder and limit tuna to 3 cans a week or so.