Tuna, All You Can Eat

[quote]jwillow wrote:

Tuna shakes are great![/quote]

This sounds very odd lol, but i may try it if i get bored of tuna/fish :slight_smile: [which i think may be sooner than later, bittova wimp on diets but i am shooting for this one though :)] Nice suggestion, i will definately bear this one in mind.

Do you use anything to flavour it. I saw apple and cinnaman were used but what does it taste like? Cheers, C.j

[quote]c.j wrote:
dont have the money to buy expensive protein shakes[/quote]

32 servings in a $25 2lb tub. Thatā€™s $0.78 per serving.

I donā€™t know how much can tuna costs where you live, but wild salmon will cost more.

Tuna diets are not unheard of. I think that what Stallone did for Rambo 3.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
32 servings in a $25 2lb tub. Thatā€™s $0.78 per serving.[/quote]

Well what i meant was i dont have the money to do that constantly for 3 weeks with 6 shakes a day. And tuna is ?1.70 for a pack of 6 cans, [roundabouts $3] of which i will eat half a tin at a time. I will use protein shakes but keep them pretty spaced out, say maybe two a day.

Well that stands me in good stead :slight_smile: he did get pretty lean, but i suppose he didnā€™t have much to loose anyway :s cheers C.j

[quote]c.j wrote:
Do you use anything to flavour it. I saw apple and cinnaman were used but what does it taste like? Cheers, C.j[/quote]

The apple pectin and cinnamon are actually for health reasons, not for flavor. I devised that particular shake as part of my cholesterol-lowering strategy (and it has worked very well.) Thatā€™s why all the bran, lecithin, etc.

Tuna has a surprisingly neutral taste in a shake, and seems to go well with sweet stuff. Iā€™ve think Iā€™ve even blended it with orange juice, years ago. Iā€™d suggest just starting with water and tuna, puree it up, see how it tastes to you, and then try adding stuff to suit your own tastes.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
I donā€™t know how much can tuna costs where you live, but wild salmon will cost more.[/quote]

Not necessarilyā€¦

One of the advantages of canned fish is that you can wait for it to go on sale, and then really stock up. I found Bumblebee solid white albacore for $.69 a can once, and bought a hundred cans (got some interesting reactions in the checkout line, too!)

This week the local Key Foods has the big cans (14.75 oz) of Bumblebee Alaskan Pink Salmon on sale for $1.00 each. Thatā€™s an incredible deal, and quite a bit cheaper per ounce than Iā€™ve ever seen tuna sell for. I bought every can in the store and got a raincheck for more.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
Tuna diets are not unheard of. I think that what Stallone did for Rambo 3.[/quote]

classic pre-contest bodybuilding dietā€¦tuna and waterā€¦

Dave Draper has been big on the tuna diet. You can read about it on his site (link below).

[quote]jwillow wrote:
c.j wrote:
Do you use anything to flavour it. I saw apple and cinnaman were used but what does it taste like? Cheers, C.j

The apple pectin and cinnamon are actually for health reasons, not for flavor. I devised that particular shake as part of my cholesterol-lowering strategy (and it has worked very well.) Thatā€™s why all the bran, lecithin, etc.

Tuna has a surprisingly neutral taste in a shake, and seems to go well with sweet stuff. Iā€™ve think Iā€™ve even blended it with orange juice, years ago. Iā€™d suggest just starting with water and tuna, puree it up, see how it tastes to you, and then try adding stuff to suit your own tastes.[/quote]

Try throwing a few raw eggs in there and perhaps some assā€“that should make for a tasty beverage. Iā€™d personally go the no-fat cottage/protein powder route and walk around the block to burn those extra few grams of carbsā€“unless youā€™re a masochist of course.

Iā€™m a big fan of Dave Draper and his training philosophies. He does what he calls ā€œTuna & Waterā€ā€¦Where he goes 3 days only eating tunafish and drinking water. Iā€™ve done this about 4-5 times and it can be very challenging, your mind can start to play tricks on you after awhile. I usually eat between 6-8 cans a day (as much as I can stomach) and Iā€™ve seen fantastic results from this. Iā€™ll usually to do it to kickstart my competition training and there have been times where Iā€™ve lost up to 7 lbs in 3 days. I realize its mostly water loss, but if youā€™re concerned with the sheer idea of losing weight, then this might be a good thing to try. Plus youā€™ll look alot tighter from all the water dropā€¦and itā€™s more of a mental accomplishment than a physical one.

Oh yeah and Iā€™ll mix tuna with unsweetened apple sauce on my regular daysā€¦it goes down much easier

Bango

The key to what alot of people are saying is Pre-contest. On your profile your listed at 26% bodyfat. if this is accurate your better off just making good dietary choices instead of a crash diet.

tuna shakes eh! sounds strange but will try some today, thanks for the info.

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
The key to what alot of people are saying is Pre-contest. On your profile your listed at 26% bodyfat. if this is accurate your better off just making good dietary choices instead of a crash diet.[/quote]

Good pointā€¦at 23% bf youā€™ll be surprised at what tightening the reins on your nutritional habits will do for your physique. At the same time, a 3-day tuna/water challenge could be used for you to break away from your old eating habits. Draw a line in the sandā€¦Once you make it through those 3 days, youā€™ll gain alot of confidence that you can take control of your diet.

Guys, thanks for all the replies. Well i had in mind a very lean self for before study leave [for my finals :expressionless: ] I know this is not going to hapen easy, alot of lifting jogging aswel as the ā€œbrain sappingā€ powers of the diet.

Jimmy and aussie, what iā€™ll think ill do is try this diet for a week and that will hopefully break all bad habits [bt it is said that a habit takes 3 weeks to break :] But hopefully this diet should have disciplined me enough to eat healthy and smart! :slight_smile:

One thing before i go, i know this is total blasphamy but what do you think about Optimum 100% whey gold as a cheap alternative to Grow!? Simply because i heard shipping to the UK was very expensive from T-Nation and i can get whey gold for ?15 including p&p. If anybody knows of anything cheaper for me to use them by all means post it or PM me :slight_smile: Cheers C.j

this is how bale lost weight for the machinist

Jimmy and aussie, what iā€™ll think ill do is try this diet for a week and that will hopefully break all bad habits [bt it is said that a hait takes 3 weeks to break :] But hopefully this diet should have disciplined me enough to eat healthy and smart! :slight_smile:

I dont know much about the Velocity Diet, but the tuna and water thing will kick you on your ass! Either wayā€¦best of luck to you and remember itā€™s just you against youā€¦

Bango

[quote]c.j wrote:
Guys, thanks for all the replies. Well i had in mind a very lean self for before study leave [for my finals :expressionless: ] I know this is not going to hapen easy, alot of lifting jogging aswel as the ā€œbrain sappingā€ powers of the diet.

Jimmy and aussie, what iā€™ll think ill do is try this diet for a week and that will hopefully break all bad habits [bt it is said that a habit takes 3 weeks to break :] But hopefully this diet should have disciplined me enough to eat healthy and smart! :slight_smile:

One thing before i go, i know this is total blasphamy but what do you think about Optimum 100% whey gold as a cheap alternative to Grow!? Simply because i heard shipping to the UK was very expensive from T-Nation and i can get whey gold for ?15 including p&p. If anybody knows of anything cheaper for me to use them by all means post it or PM me :slight_smile: Cheers C.j[/quote]

Iā€™ve never tried optimum. I do know that as far as being an MRP your better off going with something that has casein in it.I mean if money is a HUUUUGE HUUUUGE deal then I would think you could benefit from tossing a little cottage cheese in with your whey. Iā€™m PMed you a decent site that I know ships overseas,youā€™ll have to check out how much it is for shipping and such.

Hey, cheers for the response. I have delayed the start of the diet since im ill right now but i should be better by midweek :slight_smile: the idea of a cheat day seems like it would be a great releif, and since im not all that good at diets, this may be something that just saves me :stuck_out_tongue: looking good in that foto - keep it up :slight_smile: Cj

[quote]c.j wrote:
sugarfree wrote:
32 servings in a $25 2lb tub. Thatā€™s $0.78 per serving.

Well what i meant was i dont have the money to do that constantly for 3 weeks with 6 shakes a day. And tuna is ?1.70 for a pack of 6 cans, [roundabouts $3] of which i will eat half a tin at a time. I will use protein shakes but keep them pretty spaced out, say maybe two a day.

Tuna diets are not unheard of. I think that what Stallone did for Rambo 3.

Well that stands me in good stead :slight_smile: he did get pretty lean, but i suppose he didnā€™t have much to loose anyway :s cheers C.j

[/quote]

Another great option is Lentils! Some brands have 14gms of Protein in just a quarter of a cup[ and very little fat]! Similar to the typical and preferred barley/beans diet of Roman gladiators.

As a cost alternativeā€¦ Well, a can of tuna costs $1.99 for six ounces. Letā€™s round that up to $2. Twice a day for three weeks runs you to $84. I donā€™t consume a tub of Grow! in three weeks, and thatā€™s only $25. Do you see something? Youā€™re not able to afford Grow! for $25, but you can afford tuna @ $84? WOW you need to brush up on your mathematical critical thinking skills! You do know 25<84, right?

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
You should take the mercury issue into consideration, though:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=753983[/quote]

If you can afford n-acetyl cysteine, itā€™s a great way to chelate mercury.

And tunaā€™s not a good source of creatineā€¦ thatā€™s red meat. Or better yet, a tub of creatine.