TUF 6 Finals

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
This has always bothered me, and last night it was terrible. I can not fathom why we do not have knees to he head of grounded opponent.

Blame Gan McGee.

During the formative years of the ‘unified’ rules, a NJSAC commissioner attended IFC Battleground 2 and watched in horror as Gan McGee kneed the ever-loving shit out of Brad Gabriel.

At the next commission meeting, he proposed to add a ban against knees to the head of downed opponents to the rules and was successful in that effort. When NSAC implemented a direct copy of the NJ rules, the UFC got stuck with the crappy knees on the ground rule. Since then, the UFC has been on a crusade to get the ‘unified’ rules sanctioned everywhere and unfortunately the knees rule is part of the package.

Dana White has said on many occasions that he strongly wants knees to the head of a grounded opponent, but that it takes a back seat to getting sanctioned. Once the UFC gets themselves sanctioned everywhere, I suspect we’ll see Dana turn Mark Ratner’s attention to tweaking the unified rules. Knees to the head of a downed opponent will likely be the #1 item on the list of proposed rules changes. Unfortunately, that probably won’t happen until sometime around 2010.[/quote]

Yeah, I am familiar with all of that. Larry Hazzard was one of the biggest opponent of the knees to the head, and now that he has been removed from NJSAC I know some of the other members of that commission really want to explore bringing them back. That one rule would do a lot of positives for the quality of fights.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
This has always bothered me, and last night it was terrible. I can not fathom why we do not have knees to he head of grounded opponent. How fucking silly is it to watch Clay grab Roger behind the back of the head, and Roger just drops to one knee and they have to just stand there like Huerta is about to give him a hummer because he is “on the ground”. It’s so stupid.[/quote]

Agree, Guida would have won that fight easily if Knee’s to a downed opponent where allowed. Heurta kneed Clay when clay was in a full crouch but knee’s where not on the ground, right afterwards Guida did the same to Heurta but this time Heurta had one knee on the ground.

I don’t see the difference… But one is legal and the other isn’t…

stupid rule.

I recorded the fight last night and just watched Guida-Heurta…holy shit! Great fight! Guida is a fucking animal! The amount of pressure he put on Heurta was insane. I thought he had the fight for sure, especially after that heavy right he landed towards the end of the 2nd. I can’t wait to see a rematch.

The lw div. is quickly becoming my favorite division. I guess Tyler Durden had a point about skinny guys…

I was stunned by the outcome of the Guida fight. Everybody around me was just excited by the pace and the sudden outcome. I was the only one sitting there like, “WTF?” No doubt it was an exciting fight, but I was really disappointed.

I found some respect for Saunders in his fight. He looked pretty solid although I still can’t take that goofy smile.

Overall a pretty good night.

Great card. Definatley enjoyed by everyone Ive talked to. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the next batch of LW fights. A Danzig/Heurta fight came to mind as soon as the night finished.

I also agree on the added respect for Saunders and was also dissapointed by the big announcement. Very gay that the next title defense for LHW wont be till next summer.

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
Great card. Definatley enjoyed by everyone Ive talked to. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the next batch of LW fights. A Danzig/Heurta fight came to mind as soon as the night finished.

I also agree on the added respect for Saunders and was also dissapointed by the big announcement. Very gay that the next title defense for LHW wont be till next summer.[/quote]

I agree, I want to see Danzing vs Heurta

Rampage’s hand is broken and is recovering.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
AdamC wrote:
Was an awesome card but was anyone completely underwhelmed by the “huge” announcement? The Ultimate Fighter has been good but i really couldn’t care less if they made another one or not. I’m over it.

I DVR the show, so usually when I watch it I kind of half ass watch it until the fight starts… I agree it’s “luster” has warn off and unless Dana White was serious when he said they “completely revamped” the show i’m sure next season will be the same… Fast forward to the fight and watch that.

Does anyone else remember the first season when they actually did challenges before the fight and they had a host? I sweat they did, but am I just thinking of a different show?

You are correct. I think they stopped for fear of injury.[/quote]

That’s what I figured.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Did you see Danzig’s wife? God damn! How did he pull that?[/quote]

That has to be mind-fuck of the year for me. When I first saw her I was like “Damn, Mac’s sister is pretty hot…SAY WHAT?!” He probably drives a Prius with a “Save the Animals, eat soy!” bumpersticker on the back.

Clay Guida is fucking brutal. That guy is one hyper ass dude.

And like everyone else on the planet has already said, no knees to downed opponent is gay.

And I expect Forrest to be in a wheelchair sometime in 2008.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Great card. I absolutely love Clay Guida. He can lose every fight he’s in but he will still be back in the octagon because he never, ever puts up anything less than a thrilling performance. The guy is pure intensity.

I guess I was one of the Huerta doubters, but now I’m sold. Great win for him.[/quote]

Wow, what a BATTLE.

Remember that point that Goldberg (I think) made regarding the Japanese crowd-- that the record is second to the INTENSITY and HEART of the performer?

Well, I’ll be damned if Clay Guida isn’t everything I could ask for in a fighter. His technique wasn’t perfect, but homeboy is a WARRIOR. I’d pay to watch him fight Zeus just because he might knaw the fucker’s leg off before he could take a step. All bets are off with a guy like that, and I LOVE IT.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
LillGuy001 wrote:
A Danzig/Heurta fight came to mind as soon as the night finished.

[/quote]

I’m thinking Danzig’s first LW fight will be with Cole Miller, since one the show he was pissed Cole beat his buddy Andy Wang in the TUF 5 finale. That would make for a good fight since they’re both good on the ground.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Kalle wrote:

I’m thinking Danzig’s first LW fight will be with Cole Miller, since one the show he was pissed Cole beat his buddy Andy Wang in the TUF 5 finale. That would make for a good fight since they’re both good on the ground.

[/quote]

Danzig-Huerta ain’t gonna happen. Huerta has earned the right to start facing top contenders in the LW division and Mac needs to work his way up the ladder. Besides, the UFC has a ton of time and money invested in both guys. There is no way in hell they are going to pit two posterboys against one another this early in their careers.

Danzig-Miller is a good idea, but I suspect Mac’s first fight will be a gimmee. The formula for TUF champions has usually been that they get a walkthrough in their first fight, a competent fighter in their second fight, and then get thrown into the fire in their third fight. Miller probably fits in better as Mac’s second fight, with a UFC newcomer filling the bill in his first fight.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Kalle wrote:

Danzig-Huerta ain’t gonna happen. Huerta has earned the right to start facing top contenders in the LW division and Mac needs to work his way up the ladder. Besides, the UFC has a ton of time and money invested in both guys. There is no way in hell they are going to pit two posterboys against one another this early in their careers.

Danzig-Miller is a good idea, but I suspect Mac’s first fight will be a gimmee. The formula for TUF champions has usually been that they get a walkthrough in their first fight, a competent fighter in their second fight, and then get thrown into the fire in their third fight. Miller probably fits in better as Mac’s second fight, with a UFC newcomer filling the bill in his first fight.[/quote]

Your right the UFC has to much invested in both fighters to face them off at this point. Your scenario is how it will probably play out.

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Great card. I absolutely love Clay Guida. He can lose every fight he’s in but he will still be back in the octagon because he never, ever puts up anything less than a thrilling performance. The guy is pure intensity.

I guess I was one of the Huerta doubters, but now I’m sold. Great win for him.

Wow, what a BATTLE.

Remember that point that Goldberg (I think) made regarding the Japanese crowd-- that the record is second to the INTENSITY and HEART of the performer?

Well, I’ll be damned if Clay Guida isn’t everything I could ask for in a fighter. His technique wasn’t perfect, but homeboy is a WARRIOR. I’d pay to watch him fight Zeus just because he might knaw the fucker’s leg off before he could take a step. All bets are off with a guy like that, and I LOVE IT.

[/quote]

yeah WAR Guida hahahah. always wanted to say that. what the hell does it mean.

Man the lightweight division is awesome. They were crazy to ever get rid of it.

What is Gomi up to these days?

Good interview with Huerta on The Beatdown today. He basically admitted that Clay had completely knocked him out at the end of round 2 and he didn’t remember where he was and said he couldn’t figure out why all this hair was in his face, lol. He said he just got pissed and knew he had to put Guida away fast or he lost the fight. Awesome comeback, and a very interesting and honest guy. The UFC LW division is so stacked right now it is not even funny.