TUF 6 Finals

Huerta vs. Guida should be a great fight. I hope Guida wins, but Huerta could surprise people.

I’m picking Danzig over Speer via submission in round 1 or 2. Mac’s subs are too good and Tommy leaves himself open for them counting on his power to get out.

Guida-Huerta lived up to the billing and then some. I love Clay Guida. That dude never has a boring fight and the pace he maintains is freaking insane. Beating Guida should go a long way to legitimizing Huerta as something more that a protected poster boy.

As expected, Danzig’s technique trumped Speer’s power. What I didn’t expect was how quickly it happened. Mac’s strategy of beating Tommy to the takedown and putting him on his back was brilliant.

Rollins-Koppenhaver was a fantastic back & forth ground fight. I thought both guys were on the verge of finishing the fight about two or three times apiece.

All in all, a great night of fights. Quite possibly the best Spike card ever.

Did you see Danzig’s wife? God damn! How did he pull that?

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Guida-Huerta lived up to the billing and then some. I love Clay Guida. That dude never has a boring fight and the pace he maintains is freaking insane. Beating Guida should go a long way to legitimizing Huerta as something more that a protected poster boy.

As expected, Danzig’s technique trumped Speer’s power. What I didn’t expect was how quickly it happened. Mac’s strategy of beating Tommy to the takedown and putting him on his back was brilliant.

Rollins-Koppenhaver was a fantastic back & forth ground fight. I thought both guys were on the verge of finishing the fight about two or three times apiece.

All in all, a great night of fights. Quite possibly the best Spike card ever.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Everyone who didn’t see this needs to go out of their way to catch the replay.

Oh, and looks like Forrest Griffin and Rampage will be the coaches for TUF 7 and then fight in the spring of 2008.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Did you see Danzig’s wife? God damn! How did he pull that?[/quote]

Vegans pull all the tail!

Seriously that was one of the best cards ever though!

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:

All in all, a great night of fights. Quite possibly the best Spike card ever.[/quote]

Probably one of the best UFC cards in recent history. Rollins-War Machine was awesome. I thought WM was deader than dead before he pulled that sweep.

Then, I thought there was no way Guida-Huerta would live up to top billing after an already amazing night of fights, but they did not disappoint. I was disappointed to see Guida lose, but I think he will definitely win a rematch if there is one.

I am a fan of the show and MMA and was very impressed with the quality of fighting in the UFC.

A misanthropic vegan winning the the finale is also an interesting twist.

Great card.

War Machine - J-Rock was an awesome fight. WM had to be bleeding like a stuck pig after all those elbows he caught on top of his head.

Danzig should move to the top of 155 in short order. Plus his vegan tree hugger shtick will make for a nice gimmick.

Watch and see if Speers doesn’t start training under Hughes. I thought it was bad ass when they showed the farm kid’s training.

Huerta had better be thanking whatever gods he prays to for landing that knee to open the 3rd. Guida owned the first 2 rounds.

Excellent night of fights.

Great card. I absolutely love Clay Guida. He can lose every fight he’s in but he will still be back in the octagon because he never, ever puts up anything less than a thrilling performance. The guy is pure intensity.

I guess I was one of the Huerta doubters, but now I’m sold. Great win for him.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Great card. I absolutely love Clay Guida. He can lose every fight he’s in but he will still be back in the octagon because he never, ever puts up anything less than a thrilling performance. The guy is pure intensity.

I guess I was one of the Huerta doubters, but now I’m sold. Great win for him.[/quote]

I’m still not sold on Huerta. He ate a ton of left jabs standing up, and was dominated on the ground.

But I agree with you on Guida. The UFC needs more Guida’s

This has always bothered me, and last night it was terrible. I can not fathom why we do not have knees to he head of grounded opponent. How fucking silly is it to watch Clay grab Roger behind the back of the head, and Roger just drops to one knee and they have to just stand there like Huerta is about to give him a hummer because he is “on the ground”. It’s so stupid.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
This has always bothered me, and last night it was terrible. I can not fathom why we do not have knees to he head of grounded opponent. How fucking silly is it to watch Clay grab Roger behind the back of the head, and Roger just drops to one knee and they have to just stand there like Huerta is about to give him a hummer because he is “on the ground”. It’s so stupid.[/quote]

I agree, and it was the same deal in the Saunders/Barrera fight. Saunders had more than one oppurtunity to knee Barrera into bolivian if the rules allowed it.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

I guess I was one of the Huerta doubters, but now I’m sold. Great win for him.

I’m still not sold on Huerta. He ate a ton of left jabs standing up, and was dominated on the ground.

But I agree with you on Guida. The UFC needs more Guida’s
[/quote]

Totally agree. Guida is awesome and still not sure about Huerta. Guy is good and has got heart but although he is very well rounded, he doesn’t excel enough in one particular area. His standup is actually not that great. Although he finished with a kick/knee, I find his kicks to be a bit slow.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Seriously that was one of the best cards ever though![/quote]

I agree. It was much more impressive than I thought it would be.

I think the most “disappointing” fight was Hightower v. Mandoloniz and even that had some nice exchanges.

It could also be that I don’t care for either of them, though.

Was an awesome card but was anyone completely underwhelmed by the “huge” announcement? The Ultimate Fighter has been good but i really couldn’t care less if they made another one or not. I’m over it.

It was a great night for sure. Better than many PPV’s.

You could see Tommy was overwhelmed by the crowd and atmosphere, he even mentioned it at the end. But overall I think Danzing was the one that “should” have won and glad he did.

I’m a Huerta believer, he almost seems too relaxed in there until something happens that might lead to a loss, then he seems to wake up and kick some ass.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
This has always bothered me, and last night it was terrible. I can not fathom why we do not have knees to he head of grounded opponent. [/quote]

Blame Gan McGee.

During the formative years of the ‘unified’ rules, a NJSAC commissioner attended IFC Battleground 2 and watched in horror as Gan McGee kneed the ever-loving shit out of Brad Gabriel.

At the next commission meeting, he proposed to add a ban against knees to the head of downed opponents to the rules and was successful in that effort. When NSAC implemented a direct copy of the NJ rules, the UFC got stuck with the crappy knees on the ground rule. Since then, the UFC has been on a crusade to get the ‘unified’ rules sanctioned everywhere and unfortunately the knees rule is part of the package.

Dana White has said on many occasions that he strongly wants knees to the head of a grounded opponent, but that it takes a back seat to getting sanctioned. Once the UFC gets themselves sanctioned everywhere, I suspect we’ll see Dana turn Mark Ratner’s attention to tweaking the unified rules. Knees to the head of a downed opponent will likely be the #1 item on the list of proposed rules changes. Unfortunately, that probably won’t happen until sometime around 2010.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Was an awesome card but was anyone completely underwhelmed by the “huge” announcement? The Ultimate Fighter has been good but i really couldn’t care less if they made another one or not. I’m over it.[/quote]

I DVR the show, so usually when I watch it I kind of half ass watch it until the fight starts… I agree it’s “luster” has warn off and unless Dana White was serious when he said they “completely revamped” the show i’m sure next season will be the same… Fast forward to the fight and watch that.

Does anyone else remember the first season when they actually did challenges before the fight and they had a host? I sweat they did, but am I just thinking of a different show?

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:

Does anyone else remember the first season when they actually did challenges before the fight and they had a host? I sweat they did, but am I just thinking of a different show?[/quote]

You’re right, the first season had challenges to determine who picked the upcoming fight. I remember the challenge where Forrest and Sam Hoger were teamed up to retrieve cases of UFC water from a flight of steps. Forrest got stuck with making all of the long runs while Sam took the easy way out.

Some girl was the host. I think she was a ring-girl, but I’m not sure.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
AdamC wrote:
Was an awesome card but was anyone completely underwhelmed by the “huge” announcement? The Ultimate Fighter has been good but i really couldn’t care less if they made another one or not. I’m over it.

I DVR the show, so usually when I watch it I kind of half ass watch it until the fight starts… I agree it’s “luster” has warn off and unless Dana White was serious when he said they “completely revamped” the show i’m sure next season will be the same… Fast forward to the fight and watch that.

Does anyone else remember the first season when they actually did challenges before the fight and they had a host? I sweat they did, but am I just thinking of a different show?[/quote]

You are correct. I think they stopped for fear of injury.