TUF 6 Finals

If you care at all about MMA, Huerta-Guida has fight of the year written on it with a capital F-O-T-Y.

Both these guys look great and I can definitely see the potential for fight of the year.

How do you see Danzig vs. Speer going?

I’m looking forward to Huerta-Guida too. I think Speer is too raw for a victory against Danzig. He might be something in the future.

The lightweight division is starting to look pretty filled up.

Guida will pound Huerta. All those split decision robberies are going to make Guida hungry, and Huerta has been spoiled with cans. I predict an “upset”.

[quote]Deserteaglle wrote:

How do you see Danzig vs. Speer going?[/quote]

Danzig is a LOT more skilled and he is ruthless enough to snap something if Speer doesn’t tap. That being said, Mac is also a tiny WW and Speer is a pretty big one. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a 20 pound weight difference between the two once they step in the cage.

My money would be on Mac’s superior technique, but I won’t be shocked if Tommy uses his superior power and ridiculous heart/toughness to eke out a win.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Guida will pound Huerta. All those split decision robberies are going to make Guida hungry, and Huerta has been spoiled with cans. I predict an “upset”.[/quote]

As far as I know, Guida is a slight favorite. A good fight, both are similar “balls deep” kind of fighters who will give up positions to go for things and never gas. Huerta is a tad slicker on the feet and uses kicks better, Guida has a distinct wrestling advantage. I have to pick Clay on resume alone, the guy has been pushed to his limits by the best in the sport and hasn’t snapped. Judges hate him though, and everyone loves the Sexican so Huerta might get a nod.

I am actually taking Speers in the Danzig fight. Mac is at a distinct size and strength advantage, and if Tommy comes in with a solid gameplan he should be able to grapple fuck him to a UD.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Guida will pound Huerta. All those split decision robberies are going to make Guida hungry, and Huerta has been spoiled with cans. I predict an “upset”.[/quote]

I doubt Guida will pound him, but I do see a victory in his future.

Huerta had a lot of trouble dealing with Doug Evans wrestling skills but was eventually able to wear him down and pound him out. Guida is is a cardio machine who has even better wrestling that Evans.

I suspect the the Carpenter will be all over El Matador from the get-go and that Huerta will be too busy defending himself to mount much offense. On the flip side, I doubt Guida will be able to do much damage because Huerta is very active and won’t let Guida hold him in bad positions for very long.

I predict Guida will win this one via UD due to superior position and control in a barnburner of a fight.

Looking forward to Guida/Huerta. I think if Guida can stay close he will fare well in teh stand up and I think the ground game is going to be a scramble where he who makes the first mistake ends up in trouble.

In regards to Speers/Danzig, I would love to see Speers pull this one off but I have to give the fight to Danzig. The main problem I have is we have yet to see Danzig (I have not seen any of his fights prior to TUF…maybe one of you guys can offer insight) in trouble as opposed to Speers.

In otherwords, if Speers starts to get the upper hand, how does Danzig react? He sure seems calm and focused but does this come apart when the pressure is on?

Yes, I’m very much looking forward to this fight. The fact that it’s free makes it even better. I’m a big fan of Guida. He’s just a hard-nosed SOB that goes in there and always puts on a good show. Huerta also brings it and is definitely a rising star. This will be by far his biggest test in the UFC.

In the TUF Final, I’ll go with Mac over Tommy. Tommy will develop into a great fighter with more training, but for right now, Mac has too much experience. Tommy nearly got caught in a couple of submissions in his first 2 fights on the show. I don’t think he’ll be able to escape if Mac sinks one.

I have huerta for a submission win.

Same for danzig. Speer will no doubt be stronger than danzig, but I think danzig will be able to out technique speers strength. With that being said though, I had George Sotertopoloposauphogaus as a win too. It’ll be interesting to see if Speer fights dirty with Danzig as well.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
If you care at all about MMA, Huerta-Guida has fight of the year written on it with a capital F-O-T-Y. [/quote]

Big expectations? I thought Diego Sanchez/Jon Fitch has been the best.

[quote]texasguy2 wrote:

Same for danzig. Speer will no doubt be stronger than danzig, but I think danzig will be able to out technique speers strength. With that being said though, I had George Sotertopoloposauphogaus as a win too. It’ll be interesting to see if Speer fights dirty with Danzig as well. [/quote]

I wouldn’t call Speer a dirty fighter. Guys get poked in the eye a lot in MMA. Speer was just charging ahead and had his hands open instead of closed. Wasn’t like he went Ric Flair and aimed right for the eye.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

I wouldn’t call Speer a dirty fighter. Guys get poked in the eye a lot in MMA. Speer was just charging ahead and had his hands open instead of closed. Wasn’t like he went Ric Flair and aimed right for the eye.[/quote]

Yep.

You see that kind of thing all of the time with one-dimensional grappler types. They want to get in the clinch so bad that they walk around the ring like Frankenstein’s monster trying to grab their opponent’s head. Invariably they end up poking someone in the eye, which is why Big John kept warning him about before the eyepoke had even happened. BJM saw that poke coming from a mile away.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
texasguy2 wrote:

Same for danzig. Speer will no doubt be stronger than danzig, but I think danzig will be able to out technique speers strength. With that being said though, I had George Sotertopoloposauphogaus as a win too. It’ll be interesting to see if Speer fights dirty with Danzig as well.

I wouldn’t call Speer a dirty fighter. Guys get poked in the eye a lot in MMA. Speer was just charging ahead and had his hands open instead of closed. Wasn’t like he went Ric Flair and aimed right for the eye.[/quote]

Second that, the guy was just pushing it and shit happens, I'm calling it Clay over Roger, and Danzig over Tommy. Do believe Tommy will make it a game fight though.

I love Guida's attitude, and hope he not only wins, but wins impressively. He's been through some tough shit, and I want him to rise up now.

ToneBone

Not calling Guida vs. Huerta, I like them both and expect an awesome fight no matter who takes it.

Speer over Danzig. Danzig has been an MMA instructor and Randy and Bas’s Hollywood Gym and definitely has experience and great training, but I just like Tommy, I think he’s gonna have a fire under his ass, and I don’t know if Danzig is going to respect his power enough or if that’s just the way they made it look on the show.

Tommy didn’t finish those first two fights on the show, and the eye poke may have helped him against George, but George is a professional and from he beginnng I had thought it would be Danzig vs. Sotiropolous (sp?) in the finals, instead George got poked, leapt right back into the action, and got knocked out. That’s a fight and that intensity and will to finish the fight is what I hope we see in Tommy tomorrow night, if so it’s a definite possibility he could win by KO, TKO, or smother him to a decision.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
texasguy2 wrote:

I’d question it though. I used to wrestle and stayed in shape at a grappling gym and while accidents did happen, eye gouges were common cheat moves.

I don’t think that was intentional. It wasn’t like Ricardo Arona rolling his body to block the ref’s view and trying to put his thumb under Sakuraba’s eye lid. That shit just happens.

[quote]Deserteaglle wrote:

Tommy didn’t finish those first two fights on the show, and the eye poke may have helped him against George, but George is a professional and from he beginnng I had thought it would be Danzig vs. Sotiropolous (sp?) in the finals, instead George got poked, leapt right back into the action, and got knocked out. That’s a fight and that intensity and will to finish the fight is what I hope we see in Tommy tomorrow night, if so it’s a definite possibility he could win by KO, TKO, or smother him to a decision.[/quote]

Agreed. We were talking about this today and George had this aura about him that kind of came unraveled. If his eye was really that f’ed up he had 5 minutes to recover. Hughes should have been more vocal about taking the time and George should have known better than to jump right back in.

I am not trying to imply in a bad eye strike 5 minutes would make it all better but it would certainly help ease down the body’s response to it (pain, tearing, etc.) and clear up the vision.

If Speers really hits the octagon 20#'s heavier than Mac, there is no doubt he will have his hands full. I am worried the fight will turn into a lay and pray with Speers by decision. I sure hope Mac is in shape.

I am going for Speer. I think he would make a better boxer than MMA fighter, but what do I know.

I hope he whoops Danzigs ass.

[quote]texasguy2 wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
texasguy2 wrote:

I wouldn’t call Speer a dirty fighter. Guys get poked in the eye a lot in MMA. Speer was just charging ahead and had his hands open instead of closed. Wasn’t like he went Ric Flair and aimed right for the eye.

I’d question it though. I used to wrestle and stayed in shape at a grappling gym and while accidents did happen, eye gouges were common cheat moves. [/quote]

I agree with you that eye gouges are most certainly used by some to gain an advantage.

To me, it didn’t appear that this was done intentionally. Speer isn’t that experienced and was just looking to close the distance and clinch and poked George in the eye on his way in.