Tuesdays with Danny

I’ll be online again tonight and I thought I would open the thread early so we can get more responses. I won’t reply until the PrimeTime Opens, so we can get the full value of the program.

Oh…

1. I think working legs is good. Don’t ask that…
  2. Protein is good…covered that.
  3. Have you tried sleeping more and drinkng more water?
  4. No, I don’t even like to use the word “aerobics” or “protocol.”

Coach, what about “mechanism”?

You have to admit that’s a really cool word!

[quote]Danny John wrote:

1. No, I don’t even like to use the word “aerobics” or “protocol.”[/quote]

Dan, I just posted this on the OLAD thread, but since you’re monitoring here, I’ll repeat it briefly.

1. Just did OLAD trying “Overhead Squats”.
  2. Wrists started bugging me after a few sets.
  3. Used a wide grip (near last set of rings, I am 5’9" if that matters)
  4. Was using a light bar to try to get technique (75 lbs total).

Any suggestions about what I’m probably doing to bug them? Other exercises normally don’t do this, though I think I’ve had this happen when trying a wide grip on a back squat before as well. In that case I just brought my grip in and started pushing my elbows forward and voila all was well.

Thanks!

Do you have any pointers for dumbell snatching? This seems like a productive exercise, but I’m hesitant to start playing with it because it seems like an easy one to mess up.

Mr. John,

Thanks to you, I have a new set of goals. I am dead set on becoming an OHS stud. I had tried them a few months ago and then backed off - my overall shoulder strength and stability are lacking, and my hip musculature is extremely tight. But after this thread got reagitated, I decided to hit them again. I soaked up everything I could find … your articles, website, etc. I am slowly understanding the form, although afterwards I feel like I gave birth to a small hippopotamus. I am doing 5 very light sets at the end of each workout (2-5 days per week) until I can use a weight that is taxing. At that point I will work them twice per week - once on hip day and once on quad day. So, my goal is only to OHS 135 x 10 by the end of the summer (August 31st). Any further pointers on how to get there or blast past it?

Thanks again,
BFG

Dan,

I like your idea of focusing on one lift while working on fat loss. I looked through your article “A Program combining Cyclical Dieting and Fun Lifting for Fall Fat Loss!” (you may not like the word “protocol,” but I caught you using the word “program”) where it looks like you did your focus lift (OH squats) one day a week and then did other stuff the rest of the week. On the focus lift day you added some carbs to help your workout. Is that basically it? I like the simplicity of it. I’d like to focus on DLs, so I plan on doing a heavy DL day and then (hmmm, a word other than “aerobics”) GPP (carrying stuff and other stuff that makes you sweat) the rest of the week.

Charles S…bringing the fast ball early and inside.

Dumbbell snatches are the easiest…and I mean this…way to learn to do the quick lifts. It takes about a minute to learn it perfectly. 30 Seconds if you are a quick learner…

Hmmm…the wrists? On Overheads? Wow…you could be TOO wide, you know. Move the grip in a touch and see if that helps. The first few weeks of Overheads or Front Squats are a real learning period for the wrists…
Let me think about this one…[quote]John K wrote:
Dan, I just posted this on the OLAD thread, but since you’re monitoring here, I’ll repeat it briefly.

1. Just did OLAD trying “Overhead Squats”.
  2. Wrists started bugging me after a few sets.
  3. Used a wide grip (near last set of rings, I am 5’9" if that matters)
  4. Was using a light bar to try to get technique (75 lbs total).

Any suggestions about what I’m probably doing to bug them? Other exercises normally don’t do this, though I think I’ve had this happen when trying a wide grip on a back squat before as well. In that case I just brought my grip in and started pushing my elbows forward and voila all was well.

Thanks![/quote]

Yes, go to an Olympic lifting meet and compete! I’m telling you that what you are doing is fine, but the meet will shoot you way past your goals…

[quote]BFG wrote:
Mr. John,

Thanks to you, I have a new set of goals. I am dead set on becoming an OHS stud. I had tried them a few months ago and then backed off - my overall shoulder strength and stability are lacking, and my hip musculature is extremely tight. But after this thread got reagitated, I decided to hit them again. I soaked up everything I could find … your articles, website, etc. I am slowly understanding the form, although afterwards I feel like I gave birth to a small hippopotamus. I am doing 5 very light sets at the end of each workout (2-5 days per week) until I can use a weight that is taxing. At that point I will work them twice per week - once on hip day and once on quad day. So, my goal is only to OHS 135 x 10 by the end of the summer (August 31st). Any further pointers on how to get there or blast past it?

Thanks again,
BFG[/quote]

[quote]John K wrote:
Do you have any pointers for dumbell snatching? This seems like a productive exercise, but I’m hesitant to start playing with it because it seems like an easy one to mess up.[/quote]

Have you seen Brad Cardoza’s DB snatch video(s)? … very helpful … start light … check them here:

http://www.pinnaclestrengthandfitness.com/pages/5/index.htm

Coach,

Reading through your book and the articles on your site, I noticed that your programs have a lot of front squats, but not so many back squats. How valuable do you think the back squat is (in comparison to the front squat) for increasing your Oly C+J and Snatch? Squatting strength is definetely the limiting factor for my C+J right now.

Thanks,

Ross Hunt

[quote]John K wrote:
Do you have any pointers for dumbell snatching? This seems like a productive exercise, but I’m hesitant to start playing with it because it seems like an easy one to mess up.[/quote]

Bump, I’ve been doing them but A) I’m never sore b) I’m not sure if I’m doing it right

Mike, read that week carefully…it is filled with a hidden hell: those two 13 minute workouts. They…kill. I burned fat, I will admit that, but couldn’t keep doing it…

That is an attempt to do cyclical dieting with my normal training. I must admit…it was brilliant.

Yeah, just throwin out the hook to see if you’ll bite!

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Charles S…bringing the fast ball early and inside.

Dumbbell snatches are the easiest…and I mean this…way to learn to do the quick lifts. It takes about a minute to learn it perfectly. 30 Seconds if you are a quick learner…

[/quote]

Dan, I want to share a great lesson I learned from you:

“See how EASY you can make it”

What a gem this has been for me!

How easy can I throw the discus 100ft?

How easy can I clean 225 (or whatever)

As opposed to seeing how far you can go with your greatest effort, see how far you can go with 1/2 effort?

Thanks Dan, this has been invaluable for me!

I use the word “modicum,” now, Charles. It is the best of protocol, mechanism, periodization, and body recomposition. I had a focus group and I paid for a study to follow it up.

[quote]Coach,

Reading through your book and the articles on your site, I noticed that your programs have a lot of front squats, but not so many back squats. How valuable do you think the back squat is (in comparison to the front squat) for increasing your Oly C+J and Snatch? Squatting strength is definetely the limiting factor for my C+J right now.

Thanks,

Ross Hunt [/quote]

Ross,

The Soviets seemed to argue that the Back Squat was the answer to all questions. Didn’t help me a bit. If you are not built like an O lifter…think of a thick gymnast…you probably will get more from Front Squats than back squats. I saw zero…nada…zilch return from upping my back squat, but a one to one with FS to C and J.

Hello Dan,

I asked this question in the yesterday’s Prime Time Thread, so I apologize for asking this again here. It’s not that I’m stalking you or anything :slight_smile:

I know this isn’t exactly your field, but what are your thoughts and advices about training for martial arts (grappling to be more precise)?

Thanks,

Loppar

Thanks, Coach.

You are right…don’t know a thing. But, let me say this…because I am full of myself and have opinions on everything.

Try Pavel’s idea of doing the Deadlift and a Press Daily. Get really strong. I argue that you need at least a double bodyweight deadlift and a bodyweight press. Also, consider doing pullups or chin ups every day. I’m thinking about five days a week of 2-5 sets of 2-5 reps and just keep slowly building up the weight.

Also, the quick lifts rock. Do them with kettlebells or dumbbells or bars or whatever.

Read that Bruce Lee book. Hell, he did everything…

I said that? That is genius! Where is the Nobel Prize? I have been ignored for far too long…

[quote]CharlesStaley wrote:
Dan, I want to share a great lesson I learned from you:

“See how EASY you can make it”

What a gem this has been for me!

How easy can I throw the discus 100ft?

How easy can I clean 225 (or whatever)

As opposed to seeing how far you can go with your greatest effort, see how far you can go with 1/2 effort?

Thanks Dan, this has been invaluable for me!

[/quote]