Tuesday, Prime Time

Ah, my few days off. Everyone is calling asking for me to help them move stuff. In between sets of couch lift and carries, let’s talk about the keys to life and training.

Here’s mine:

1. At your funeral, everyone will be talking about the same person.

hopefully how I changed their lives for the better! Coach John I have been doing clean & press with two 60lb dumbbells 5x5, and been recleaning each rep. Do you know wich muscles this routine develops, since i 'm truying to gauge my progress with a measuring tape.

Dan,

I’m excited about my recent PR’s with all my lifts. Despite all the chaos and problems I’ve faced this year, I finally managed to get my training on track and have made the best progress of my life.

Thank you for your advice in the 5x5 article thread. It has helped serve me well. If it weren’t for my training, I would still be depressed and letting all the bad rule my life.

As an update, here are some current stats:

Height: 5’4"
Weight: 158-163lbs
Bodyfat: Leaner than I was a month ago

Bench: 195x6,6,5,5 (~235 1RM)
Squat: 245x6,6,5,5 (~280 1RM)
Deadlift: 315x3,2,1 (~335-340 1RM)
Overhead Press: 125x2,2,2 (~130 1RM)
Close-grip Bench: 195x3,3,3
Chins: BW+25x5,5,5
Barbell Rows: 145x6,6,6,6

This may not be a lot of weight for some, but this is the biggest and strongest I’ve ever been, and I’m continuing to get stronger each week. So the above are current for this week only, as I get stronger each time I train.

My current goal is 170lbs at 10-12% and to increase my strength by about 20-30 pounds on the lifts listed above.

My tidbit for the day: No matter how bad it gets, it can always be worse!

Coach, when everything falls apart what advice do you give?

Amir

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ah, my few days off. Everyone is calling asking for me to help them move stuff. In between sets of couch lift and carries, let’s talk about the keys to life and training.

Here’s mine:

1. At your funeral, everyone will be talking about the same person.[/quote]

My advice I think I should add and it comes from Aristotle “We are repeatedly what we do, therefore excellence is not an act but a habit”

Thanks Dan for all your advice in the past.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ah, my few days off. Everyone is calling asking for me to help them move stuff. In between sets of couch lift and carries, … [/quote]

A guy like you, with a pick-up truck, could be a really good friend to have.

Hey Coach - got yer video - simply amazing, and amazingly simple. I watched it with a buddy of mine who has never trained outside of a gym. His response: an emphatic “DUDE, that looks fun!”

BTW, suitcase / waiter / crosswalk carries garner much attention when performed in 24 hr fatness centers … must … buy … kettlebells!

Thanks for that!
Bastard

Coach John,
Yesterday I overhead squatted plates for the first time. It was only a set of three, but that is a big improvement from the 95 pounds that I was doing a couple months ago. I want to thank you for introducing me to these. It seems that as my overhead squat goes up, so does my speed.

You know, I have been there. In life. In lifting. In sports.

What do you do? You get up. You brush your teeth. You eat breakfast. You keep putting one foot in front of the other. You reconnect with people…maybe you lost your family or friends, but there is a community (faith, lifting, throwing) that will welcome you into the fold. Don’t get hungry. Don’t get thirsty. Get your sleep. Stand back and look at the last month and find a positive.

Keep looking back over the last six months or year. Learn something new. Read a book that you should have read the first time. Listen to some music that will be around a century from now. Volunteer. Help someone else. Coach. Take a big sheet of paper and write out the things you would like to do. Circle a couple you can do in a month (I write everything I think about!). Do two or three of those. Smile. Mow somebody’s lawn for no reason at all.

In other words, look outside yourself when everything goes wrong. I don’t care if you ever read another thing I write, you have to trust me on this one.

Been there.

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:

Amir

Danny John wrote:

Here’s mine:

[/quote]

Coach Ralph Maughan: “Be a slave to good habits.”

Best advice I ever heard…but I didn’t hear it the first time.

[quote]Springcoil wrote:
My advice I think I should add and it comes from Aristotle “We are repeatedly what we do, therefore excellence is not an act but a habit”

Thanks Dan for all your advice in the past.
[/quote]

I’m the big ugly guy in the DVD!!!

Half the stuff I do now makes normal folk quiver…

[quote]BFG wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Ah, my few days off. Everyone is calling asking for me to help them move stuff. In between sets of couch lift and carries, …

A guy like you, with a pick-up truck, could be a really good friend to have.

Hey Coach - got yer video - simply amazing, and amazingly simple. I watched it with a buddy of mine who has never trained outside of a gym. His response: an emphatic “DUDE, that looks fun!”

BTW, suitcase / waiter / crosswalk carries garner much attention when performed in 24 hr fatness centers … must … buy … kettlebells!

Thanks for that!
Bastard[/quote]

Try to always track progress as a “story of one.” The only sport I was ever a natural at was Judo…it was so easy for me, I lost interest. I’m serious, too. The first day or so, I was whipping older, experienced athletes.

So, don’t worry about your numbers. The fact that they are going up is a damn miracle in my eyes. I literally have had decades of “not going up.”

Up is good!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Dan,

I’m excited about my recent PR’s with all my lifts. Despite all the chaos and problems I’ve faced this year, I finally managed to get my training on track and have made the best progress of my life.

Thank you for your advice in the 5x5 article thread. It has helped serve me well. If it weren’t for my training, I would still be depressed and letting all the bad rule my life.

As an update, here are some current stats:

Height: 5’4"
Weight: 158-163lbs
Bodyfat: Leaner than I was a month ago

Bench: 195x6,6,5,5 (~235 1RM)
Squat: 245x6,6,5,5 (~280 1RM)
Deadlift: 315x3,2,1 (~335-340 1RM)
Overhead Press: 125x2,2,2 (~130 1RM)
Close-grip Bench: 195x3,3,3
Chins: BW+25x5,5,5
Barbell Rows: 145x6,6,6,6

This may not be a lot of weight for some, but this is the biggest and strongest I’ve ever been, and I’m continuing to get stronger each week. So the above are current for this week only, as I get stronger each time I train.

My current goal is 170lbs at 10-12% and to increase my strength by about 20-30 pounds on the lifts listed above.

My tidbit for the day: No matter how bad it gets, it can always be worse![/quote]

Yeah, the kettlebells call it the “WTF Effect,” the “what the heck effect.” Why does OvSqts help your speed. Dunno. It does, though. Can’t explain some of this stuff.

By the way, good training always has a ton of “unexplainable stuff.” If you were so simple that you could understand all the interworkings of the human system, you would be so simple you wouldn’t care…

[quote]eddy40 wrote:
Coach John,
Yesterday I overhead squatted plates for the first time. It was only a set of three, but that is a big improvement from the 95 pounds that I was doing a couple months ago. I want to thank you for introducing me to these. It seems that as my overhead squat goes up, so does my speed.[/quote]

DJ about cleans

Ok seeing how I’m relatively new to learning about Oling and Oling myself, I’ve already come across 2 different ways which cleans are taught. Many college strength programs teach their atlhetes to jump during the movement. Christian Thibeadeau has said before"jump just should a result of your explovieness, not the an intended action" (and I paraphrased). I watch oling videos and I see people getting high on their toes NOT jumping.

My question what brought about these differences? Is there any benefit in doing one instead of the other? What does Tommy Kno have to say about this subject?

I emailed you Dan.

Thankyou so much

Amir

[quote]Danny John wrote:
You know, I have been there. In life. In lifting. In sports.

What do you do? You get up. You brush your teeth. You eat breakfast. You keep putting one foot in front of the other. You reconnect with people…maybe you lost your family or friends, but there is a community (faith, lifting, throwing) that will welcome you into the fold. Don’t get hungry. Don’t get thirsty. Get your sleep. Stand back and look at the last month and find a positive.

Keep looking back over the last six months or year. Learn something new. Read a book that you should have read the first time. Listen to some music that will be around a century from now. Volunteer. Help someone else. Coach. Take a big sheet of paper and write out the things you would like to do. Circle a couple you can do in a month (I write everything I think about!). Do two or three of those. Smile. Mow somebody’s lawn for no reason at all.

In other words, look outside yourself when everything goes wrong. I don’t care if you ever read another thing I write, you have to trust me on this one.

Been there.

AMIRisSQUAT wrote:

Amir

Danny John wrote:

Here’s mine:

[/quote]

Hi mate,

has there been any new research on the Tabata method of training? Or maybe you have learnt something new. The reason i ask is that i have just started using it for my boxing workouts. And as you have probably guessed it has took me to new levels i thought impossible.

Well, it has certainly gone far beyond what the original researcher thought his discovery would do. Who would have figured using a speedskater thing for O lifting (well…me…but that’s besides the point!).

For boxing, I just reread that thing that was about boxers and the deadlift. I imagine boxing has a lot of variables that I don’t even know about…

[quote]englishman wrote:
Hi mate,

has there been any new research on the Tabata method of training? Or maybe you have learnt something new. The reason i ask is that i have just started using it for my boxing workouts. And as you have probably guessed it has took me to new levels i thought impossible.
[/quote]

Okay. I learned the “heels only” method (see my Get Up archives from about two summers ago) and decided that I had been wrong doing anything else. I am to the point that I won’t discuss it. This sounds odd from me: “I’m right…you’re wrong.” But, I was wrong. The moment I did it heels only with the huge hamstring stretch, I discovered the secret to the modern snatch and clean.

If you want, go ask others…but I can’t even entertain other thoughts about it. In honor of this question, I will do twenty perfect single snatches for part of tonight’s workout.

Your name will be honored.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
DJ about cleans

Ok seeing how I’m relatively new to learning about Oling and Oling myself, I’ve already come across 2 different ways which cleans are taught. Many college strength programs teach their atlhetes to jump during the movement. Christian Thibeadeau has said before"jump just should a result of your explovieness, not the an intended action" (and I paraphrased). I watch oling videos and I see people getting high on their toes NOT jumping.

My question what brought about these differences? Is there any benefit in doing one instead of the other? What does Tommy Kno have to say about this subject? [/quote]

If you could direct me to the article you were talking about i would be most grateful.

Thanks, Englishman

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Well, it has certainly gone far beyond what the original researcher thought his discovery would do. Who would have figured using a speedskater thing for O lifting (well…me…but that’s besides the point!).

For boxing, I just reread that thing that was about boxers and the deadlift. I imagine boxing has a lot of variables that I don’t even know about…

englishman wrote:
Hi mate,

[/quote]

Hi Dan,

I am curious as to what your thoughts are on how “random” a training program should be. What is your approach to choosing the exercises each time you hit the gym (or your backyard) for a workout? I’ve had quite a few answers from other coaches here on T-Nation saying that I should keep doing the same week’s workouts for 3-4 weeks to allow the body to adapt and get the most out of the exercises before changing things up. The Westside guys change lifts when they are not making any progress. How do you go about doing this?

For example, if you had a goal for your next lifting cycle to increase your limit strength and weren’t worried about increasing muscle mass, would you just head to the gym with the intention of doing high intensity, low rep sets for a couple of exercises and decide when you get there what sort of reps you would use, or would you have more of a plan mapped out in your mind?

Cheers,

Ben

I am in the process of moving all my stuff (new office), so you will have to sift. It will be good for you. Think of it as a good thing…

[quote]englishman wrote:
If you could direct me to the article you were talking about i would be most grateful.

Thanks, Englishman

Danny John wrote:

englishman wrote:
Hi mate,

[/quote]