Tuesday...Prime Time

Dan,

I read your “Dad to Grad” book on your site, and I really enjoyed it, even though it’s been a while since I (dis)graced a classroom desk. I also remember a 73-year-old guy turning around to me wistfully one day and saying “Man, what I’d DO if I were only 40 again …”

Would you have anything to offer those of us half-way between the two points? In other words, if you were 30 again, what have you learned that would affect how you did things back then?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I thought I answered you yesterday. Short answer: toes on a 2 x 4, ass back. Do that with your clean and snatch movement with maybe 60%…even try the full movement. That weird pullilng feeling is your hamstrings. Look up, the bar is overhead…

mdragon wrote:
Dan

I missed your Prime Time yesterday by about half an hour. Instead of e-mailing you directly all teh time I can bother you through the forum now.

On my O’lifts I’m jumping forward. I try to pull from my heals and think I do, I focus on trying to pop my hips forward and figure if I am hitting the bar on my thighs or hip I’ve done it right. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

Ok maybe you did answer and I need to lay off the crack. Couldn’t find the thread again. Crack kills.

I’ll do the board.

DJ:

2 months of 5 days a week…that’s doable. Did you use the “do the lift 5 times a week until you get your goal” principle???

So far, I’ve included some power curls, clean grip snatches, big55…any other fun yet unorthodox idea for an OLifter?

Thanks in advance.

By the way…can you do me the favor of putting up the direct link to “from ground up” book, since I can’t access the site from work?

http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf

The things I do around here…

One thing and only one thing: find something that fills you with Passion. Then, do it.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
Dan,

I read your “Dad to Grad” book on your site, and I really enjoyed it, even though it’s been a while since I (dis)graced a classroom desk. I also remember a 73-year-old guy turning around to me wistfully one day and saying “Man, what I’d DO if I were only 40 again …”

Would you have anything to offer those of us half-way between the two points? In other words, if you were 30 again, what have you learned that would affect how you did things back then?[/quote]

1. Only squat with chains.
  2. Thick Bar Deadlifts
  3. Farmers Bar Walks
  4. Pull sleds…

[quote]skullcowboy wrote:
DJ:

2 months of 5 days a week…that’s doable. Did you use the “do the lift 5 times a week until you get your goal” principle???

So far, I’ve included some power curls, clean grip snatches, big55…any other fun yet unorthodox idea for an OLifter?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Ahhhhhhh, I just went and did 3 sets of 8 in the overhead squat. I power snatched the barbell up at the beginning of each set. I feel good now. Sore but good. I did some heavy deadlifts yesterday and I learned from experiencing something today what I already knew in my head.

That is that, olifting will improve your deadlift and is actually harder than a heavy deadlift (in my opinion) because of: 1. greater motor skill demand 2. greater range of motion

I wasn’t going to do this workout today especially after doing heavy deadlifts yesterday but I said “I’m going to make myself do it” and I did. I’m really beginning to believe in this instinctive, random type training as far as program design. Obviously, some things are cut and dry like which exercises provide the most value but this day on that day off is purely instinctual especially when you’ve been doing this (lifting weights) for a few years and aren’t a beginner.

Thoughts Dan, anybody else?

DJ-what do you think of power shrugs

in terms of comparing to other pulling movements such as the snatch, hang pulls etc etc. You have your hip velocity and explosiveness that you would get from other movements but in power shrugs your moving alot heavier load. It’s more strength-speed oreinated as opposed to speed-strength. Also in terms of hypertrohpy your moving some heavy ass weight. I’m not saying replace other movements with them but what about in terms of an assistance movement?

DJ,

What do you think of trap-bar deadlifts? Ever done them before/do you advocate them?

Thanks.

[quote]I’m in the same boat though. Both of my shoulders are weaker than the other ones, if you know what I mean. Flexibility sucks but is improving. Same with my hips. I do the OS as a final movement when I am thoroughly warmed up from head to toe and thus more flexible. Also immediately after front squats I find them easiest.

BFG[/quote]

BFG,
I’ll have to try them after Front Squats, I always do OH First. I feel like it really loosens up my hips and makes my FS and RDL movements better.
old dogg

I think they have their place, but never equate a Trap Bar Deadlift to a real one. Personally, I have never really been a fan of them, you know what I mean, it’s like “I get it,” but why…what is so hard about doing it (deadlifts) with a real bar. [quote]TunaGill wrote:
DJ,

What do you think of trap-bar deadlifts? Ever done them before/do you advocate them?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’ve done a million of them. They are great…but have a bit of a limited range of value for the athlete. Dick Notmeyer used to always say “what do you mean 'you dunno?”

You see, the shrug is like shrugging your shoulders like “I dunno.” Funny. Had to be there.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
DJ-what do you think of power shrugs

in terms of comparing to other pulling movements such as the snatch, hang pulls etc etc. You have your hip velocity and explosiveness that you would get from other movements but in power shrugs your moving alot heavier load. It’s more strength-speed oreinated as opposed to speed-strength. Also in terms of hypertrohpy your moving some heavy ass weight. I’m not saying replace other movements with them but what about in terms of an assistance movement?[/quote]

This is the very definition of my training. Today, for no apparent reason, I did Bottom to Bottom Tabata Squats. Why? I don’t know. Just sounded right…

[quote]BPC wrote:
Ahhhhhhh, I just went and did 3 sets of 8 in the overhead squat. I power snatched the barbell up at the beginning of each set. I feel good now. Sore but good. I did some heavy deadlifts yesterday and I learned from experiencing something today what I already knew in my head.

That is that, olifting will improve your deadlift and is actually harder than a heavy deadlift (in my opinion) because of: 1. greater motor skill demand 2. greater range of motion

I wasn’t going to do this workout today especially after doing heavy deadlifts yesterday but I said “I’m going to make myself do it” and I did. I’m really beginning to believe in this instinctive, random type training as far as program design. Obviously, some things are cut and dry like which exercises provide the most value but this day on that day off is purely instinctual especially when you’ve been doing this (lifting weights) for a few years and aren’t a beginner.

Thoughts Dan, anybody else?[/quote]

Dan, Ive recently been sidelined with injury. Im on crutches and have a sprained left (dominant) ankle.

All I have right now by me are 2 25 lbs dumbells. I was mid-way on my fatloss program, and then injury occured. I would like something that could get my heart pumping and metabolism up every day to sort of “keep up” with my previous program.

What do you suggest I do to get the most bang for my buck?

But here’s the rub: if you’re imperfect and do imperfect training, they cancel each other out and you end up with a perfect result…

That’s pretty deep now that I just said it…

[quote]Danny John wrote:

1. What do you think of “imperfect” training where you: do lifts blindfolded, train on different surfaces, have somebody nudge you slightly when squatting, differential bar loading, etc?

DJ: according to Charles Staley and Mike and Mindy, anything you do in my gym is imperfect.

[/quote]

Cool!! I thought I was on the right track.

1. What are bottom to bottom front squats?

2. How do you feel after those tabatas? I have my wife (she just had a baby 3 months ago and is already in great shape from lots of walking and great genetics) and her friend doing tabatas w/5 lb dumbbells in each hand.

3. How do you stop after you’ve had 1-2 drinks of Scotch and you are feeling good? I used to drink a lot of Cognac when I was active duty Air Force.

4. Why do you not like pullup variations like one armed pullups?

[quote]CharlesStaley wrote:
But here’s the rub: if you’re imperfect and do imperfect training, they cancel each other out and you end up with a perfect result…

That’s pretty deep now that I just said it…

Danny John wrote:

1. What do you think of “imperfect” training where you: do lifts blindfolded, train on different surfaces, have somebody nudge you slightly when squatting, differential bar loading, etc?

DJ: according to Charles Staley and Mike and Mindy, anything you do in my gym is imperfect.
[/quote]

Charles,

Hahahah That’s good!!!

Seriously though, do you think it’s overrated just like unstable surfaces, etc?

Also, in your opinion why don’t clubbells have very much value?

How would one train to work up to the standard you mentioned in one of your articles of 15 Bodyweight OH Squats?

Mr. John
Just wanted to thank you for your inspiration to finally get into O-lifts. I’ve been a bodyweight/calisthenic fanatic for years but I’ve branched out a little like crossfit.

Last night I did ‘Grace’ for the first time. 13 minutes. My goal is around 3 minutes for this.

Two questions,

1. Do your trainees generally improve on one lift (like C&J) if they do a varied program or say 2 or 3 sessions a week of specialization as I am doing. I’m not following the WOD as yet as I’m just getting into weights. The rest of the time is stuff like hill runs, gymastics, etc. i.e. is just mixing in the C&J a slow approach to getting good at it?

2. Will you be a the Pleasonton Highland Games this year so my family and I can meet you?

Thank you in advance.