T Nation

Tuesday...Prime Time

Got some sleep. Feel good. Training good.

Ready to talk about it!!!

Dan, you’re a machine! It’s not Prime Time it’s Prime Day. I love your stuff. After adding beer to my recovery methods I’ve been making some great gains.

I have two questions:

  1. I’ve been making solid gains in the gym using total body workouts using mostly low reps , I had been making great gains but I felt over trained the last workout and not as strong. The workout frequency was probably a tad high considering each was with mostly low reps but i was making gains so i didn’t fight it. I was thinking of doing a high rep workout to help recover and then taking some time off. Will the high rep workout help with blood flow and recovery?

  2. I’m trying to incorporate Overhead squats into my workouts by doing them in my warm up with a 15lb bar. I am lacking shoulder flexibilty including the fact that one shoulder is more flexible then the others. Therefore the bar tends to be more infront than over my head. Should I just keep on doing the low weight 3x8 type warmup in hopes that I will increase flexibilty and rear delt strength over time? Is it a matter of just doing the reps or should I add supplemental work.

Thanks again and keep up the good work, you’re a huge motivation, even to us younger guys.

CC

DJ,

After four weeks of 5x5 (with the last week being a back-off week and doing 3x8), I felt much better this week when I started my new 4-week block. I’ve decided to use CW’s Set/Rep Bible to set up my current training. The goal is to continue to get a bit leaner while keeping/gaining size and strength. I’m using HOT-ROX (4 caps/day) and have cut back on some carbs. I’m also doing some cardio/GPP on Tues/Thurs consisting of jump rope and short sprints. This is the weight training plan:

Day 1: Maximal Strength Emphasis (3x3)
Back Squat
Barbell Bench
Good Mornings
Barbell Row
Calf Raises 3x8-15
Leg raises 3x8-12

Day 2: Hypertrophy Emphasis (4x12)
Barbell Hack Squats
Decline Bench
Stiff-legged Deadlift
Upright row
Hammer curl
Skullcrushers
Swiss ball crunches 3x10-15

Day 3: Strength & Hypertrophy Emphasis (4x6)
Deadlift
Weighted Chins
Overhead Press
Close-grip bench
EZ bar curl
Russian twists 3x10-15

I completed Day 1 last night, and I felt GOOD afteward! This was the first time in a long time that I felt energized after my workout. And since I had a back-off week last week, I came back stronger this week.

I’m also still taking care of all the other things in my life, and am doing my best (based on your suggestions in the 5x5 article thread). Thanks!!!

When squatting and deadlifting what do you recommend about pulling your abs in, leaving them as they are or pushing them out like the westside gym do?
Do olympic lifters push their abs out to be stable during their lifts?

Thanks

Dan

I missed your Prime Time yesterday by about half an hour. Instead of e-mailing you directly all teh time I can bother you through the forum now.

On my O’lifts I’m jumping forward. I try to pull from my heals and think I do, I focus on trying to pop my hips forward and figure if I am hitting the bar on my thighs or hip I’ve done it right. Any suggestions?

Coach John,

I spoke to Charles yesterday and find that even though my front squat weight keeps going up, my snatch and C & J numbers are stagnating. He seems to like the notion of repeated efforts with the same weight until it feels like a toy. 8-10 triples for example. I suspect my lighter bodyweight may have something to do with it, but this is starting to frustrate me. I’m barely C & J 205 now and snatching 65 kg. with a goal of 100 kg+ and 70-75 kg., respectively, on June 25th. Any last words of wisdom are much appreciated as always. Thanks in advance for your anticipated response.

Nick

[quote]Nick Radonjic wrote:
He seems to like the notion of repeated efforts with the same weight until it feels like a toy. 8-10 triples for example. [/quote]

I also believe in this. Recently, I’ve been doing this with certain lifts rather than trying to increase weight or volume each week. In the past, I’ve found that it is very effective.

And since I’m finally listening to my body after trying numerous things over the years (including various T-Nation programs), I can now set up my training to make continual progress.

Thanks for yesterday’s reply, DJ.

You said you’d workout 5 days a week for 10 months…that’s a lot!

Like what sort of programing, lifts, periodization you used in these 10 months?

Another question…back in the good old years when I started Olifting…I’d always get sore and DOMS in the upper traps, those that move the shoulder to the ears, quads and calves. I used Russian technique, pull, extend, shrug and jump hard.
Now, that I have a decent mastery of modern technique, some DKB, flat feet pull, no full extension, fast catch, etc…I no longer get DOMS in upper traps, quads and calves…instead, I get sore in middle traps(like moving the shoulders back) and hamstrings.
Is this a sign of good technique or bad technique???

Thanks in advance.

Dan,

  1. I know they are all good lifts/exercises but what would you say offers more bang for your buck for most athletes and in terms of all around strength? olympic lifts or powerlifting’s 3 big lifts?

  2. Did you get your deadlift to 600+ by deadlifting a lot or was that a by-product of all of your olympic lifting?

  3. What do you think of “imperfect” training where you: do lifts blindfolded, train on different surfaces, have somebody nudge you slightly when squatting, differential bar loading, etc?

  4. Since you prefer such a simplistic method, do you ever wonder about other training protocols/methodologies?

I still think the best recovery is either off…don’t lift at all, don’t do nutting…or, light weights and easy reps in the lifts that you do. A movement massage, if you will.

[quote]CrazyCanuck wrote:
Dan, you’re a machine! It’s not Prime Time it’s Prime Day. I love your stuff. After adding beer to my recovery methods I’ve been making some great gains.

On the OvSqt, welcome to the club! Everyone has this problem, so try doing them every day. Every day. With just the bar or a broomstick. In a sense, ask your body to accept the idea and nudge it along. Don’t force it, unless I’m with you, nudge it.
I have two questions:

  1. I’ve been making solid gains in the gym using total body workouts using mostly low reps , I had been making great gains but I felt over trained the last workout and not as strong. The workout frequency was probably a tad high considering each was with mostly low reps but i was making gains so i didn’t fight it. I was thinking of doing a high rep workout to help recover and then taking some time off. Will the high rep workout help with blood flow and recovery?

  2. I’m trying to incorporate Overhead squats into my workouts by doing them in my warm up with a 15lb bar. I am lacking shoulder flexibilty including the fact that one shoulder is more flexible then the others. Therefore the bar tends to be more infront than over my head. Should I just keep on doing the low weight 3x8 type warmup in hopes that I will increase flexibilty and rear delt strength over time? Is it a matter of just doing the reps or should I add supplemental work.

Thanks again and keep up the good work, you’re a huge motivation, even to us younger guys.

CC
[/quote]

The rest of my post didn’t make it:

On the OvSqt, welcome to the club! Everyone has this problem, so try doing them every day. Every day. With just the bar or a broomstick. In a sense, ask your body to accept the idea and nudge it along. Don’t force it, unless I’m with you, nudge it.

Good stuff here. Maybe you need to store this workout and just post it whenever somebody asks about the same thing…every hour on the hour.

Solid.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
DJ,

After four weeks of 5x5 (with the last week being a back-off week and doing 3x8), I felt much better this week when I started my new 4-week block. I’ve decided to use CW’s Set/Rep Bible to set up my current training. The goal is to continue to get a bit leaner while keeping/gaining size and strength. I’m using HOT-ROX (4 caps/day) and have cut back on some carbs. I’m also doing some cardio/GPP on Tues/Thurs consisting of jump rope and short sprints. This is the weight training plan:

Day 1: Maximal Strength Emphasis (3x3)
Back Squat
Barbell Bench
Good Mornings
Barbell Row
Calf Raises 3x8-15
Leg raises 3x8-12

Day 2: Hypertrophy Emphasis (4x12)
Barbell Hack Squats
Decline Bench
Stiff-legged Deadlift
Upright row
Hammer curl
Skullcrushers
Swiss ball crunches 3x10-15

Day 3: Strength & Hypertrophy Emphasis (4x6)
Deadlift
Weighted Chins
Overhead Press
Close-grip bench
EZ bar curl
Russian twists 3x10-15

I completed Day 1 last night, and I felt GOOD afteward! This was the first time in a long time that I felt energized after my workout. And since I had a back-off week last week, I came back stronger this week.

I’m also still taking care of all the other things in my life, and am doing my best (based on your suggestions in the 5x5 article thread). Thanks!!!
[/quote]

You know, I have heard both sides of this, and all I know is that I can get to 209 bodyweight and still have a distended belly from all those max squats I did in the early 1990’s. So, for me, and the geezers, you are going to sow what you reap. I never got a big gut snatching, cleaning or deadlifting…a few months of max squats and I had to go find an OB/GYN. So, do this:

Front Squats.

Same benefits, less belly.

[quote]indra wrote:
When squatting and deadlifting what do you recommend about pulling your abs in, leaving them as they are or pushing them out like the westside gym do?
Do olympic lifters push their abs out to be stable during their lifts?

Thanks[/quote]

I thought I answered you yesterday. Short answer: toes on a 2 x 4, ass back. Do that with your clean and snatch movement with maybe 60%…even try the full movement. That weird pullilng feeling is your hamstrings. Look up, the bar is overhead…

[quote]mdragon wrote:
Dan

I missed your Prime Time yesterday by about half an hour. Instead of e-mailing you directly all teh time I can bother you through the forum now.

On my O’lifts I’m jumping forward. I try to pull from my heals and think I do, I focus on trying to pop my hips forward and figure if I am hitting the bar on my thighs or hip I’ve done it right. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Nick, think this way: the key is the learning process. So, if you do 30 light reps a day (ten sets of 3) your body is going to figure out the movement. For me, two things helped…so well, I think if I knew this before, I could have been someone…instead, I’m a bum.

Tabata Front Squats. 64 reps in four minutes…the body learns.

Dead Stop Front Squats. Go to my website and do these, too. Once a week for both…give it three weeks. Then, send me the good news.

[quote]Nick Radonjic wrote:
Coach John,

I spoke to Charles yesterday and find that even though my front squat weight keeps going up, my snatch and C & J numbers are stagnating. He seems to like the notion of repeated efforts with the same weight until it feels like a toy. 8-10 triples for example. I suspect my lighter bodyweight may have something to do with it, but this is starting to frustrate me. I’m barely C & J 205 now and snatching 65 kg. with a goal of 100 kg+ and 70-75 kg., respectively, on June 25th. Any last words of wisdom are much appreciated as always. Thanks in advance for your anticipated response.

Nick[/quote]

Maybe that was two months…I am not used to this keyboard. I have wrist injuries. I’m old. I can’t spell two.

And, that feeling your getting in the traps. Well, that is what we call: good. It’s funny how things feel when done right.

[quote]skullcowboy wrote:
Thanks for yesterday’s reply, DJ.

You said you’d workout 5 days a week for 10 months…that’s a lot!

Like what sort of programing, lifts, periodization you used in these 10 months?

Another question…back in the good old years when I started Olifting…I’d always get sore and DOMS in the upper traps, those that move the shoulder to the ears, quads and calves. I used Russian technique, pull, extend, shrug and jump hard.
Now, that I have a decent mastery of modern technique, some DKB, flat feet pull, no full extension, fast catch, etc…I no longer get DOMS in upper traps, quads and calves…instead, I get sore in middle traps(like moving the shoulders back) and hamstrings.
Is this a sign of good technique or bad technique???

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

[quote]BPC wrote:
Dan,

  1. I know they are all good lifts/exercises but what would you say offers more bang for your buck for most athletes and in terms of all around strength? olympic lifts or powerlifting’s 3 big lifts?[/quote]

DJ: I think O lifts, but I’m in the minority.

DJ: My first attempt on the platform was about the first deadlift I had done in months. I took 606 on the second, and 628 on the third, only because nobody had made anything more than that…

[quote]3. What do you think of “imperfect” training where you: do lifts blindfolded, train on different surfaces, have somebody nudge you slightly when squatting, differential bar loading, etc?
[/quote]
DJ: according to Charles Staley and Mike and Mindy, anything you do in my gym is imperfect.

DJ: Every minute I train.

Hey this Danny John guy really knows what he’s talking about! I’ve been OSing each and every time I go to the gym. Starting light and working up. A few months ago I couldn’t do the bar once without falling over. Last night I did 135! Baby steps … but baby steps a few times a week equates to major progress. I still aim for 135 x 10 by the end of the summer. But now that I’m getting into it, I’m not sure if a set of 10 is a good goal. Maybe I should aim for a set of 3, 5, ?, albeit with more weight?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
The rest of my post didn’t make it:

On the OvSqt, welcome to the club! Everyone has this problem, so try doing them every day. Every day. With just the bar or a broomstick. In a sense, ask your body to accept the idea and nudge it along. Don’t force it, unless I’m with you, nudge it.
[/quote]

[quote]CrazyCanuck wrote:
… I am lacking shoulder flexibilty including the fact that one shoulder is more flexible then the others.[/quote]

I think I know what is happening here. You have too many shoulders. Start lopping them off until you have only two. ;]

I’m in the same boat though. Both of my shoulders are weaker than the other ones, if you know what I mean. Flexibility sucks but is improving. Same with my hips. I do the OS as a final movement when I am thoroughly warmed up from head to toe and thus more flexible. Also immediately after front squats I find them easiest.

BFG

[quote]Danny John wrote:
BPC wrote:
Dan,

  1. I know they are all good lifts/exercises but what would you say offers more bang for your buck for most athletes and in terms of all around strength? olympic lifts or powerlifting’s 3 big lifts?

DJ: I think O lifts, but I’m in the minority.

  1. Did you get your deadlift to 600+ by deadlifting a lot or was that a by-product of all of your olympic lifting?

DJ: My first attempt on the platform was about the first deadlift I had done in months. I took 606 on the second, and 628 on the third, only because nobody had made anything more than that…

  1. What do you think of “imperfect” training where you: do lifts blindfolded, train on different surfaces, have somebody nudge you slightly when squatting, differential bar loading, etc?

DJ: according to Charles Staley and Mike and Mindy, anything you do in my gym is imperfect.

  1. Since you prefer such a simplistic method, do you ever wonder about other training protocols/methodologies?

DJ: Every minute I train.

[/quote]

Thanks.

  1. Why?

  2. I see. Probably because the olympic lifts all have deadlift variations in them and then some.

  3. Hmmmm. Very interesting.

  4. Cool.