Monday 25 Feb 08

numbers:

Squat 3x5x135lbs
Military Press 3x5x55lbs
Pendlay Row 3x5x85lbs

supps:
3x10xBW standing calf raises
3x10x45lbs single leg standing calf raises

I’m really glad I decided not to up my rows yet. I felt a little weak in my lower back of all places…so I made sure to keep my form proper and my back straight. I really didnt want to risk anything.

Squat is starting to get a little rough - the weight seems to be building up fast…as it goes up every time, unlike the other lifts that only go up once-twice a week. I may reach a stopping point on my squat soon - which would be fine but I would rather just keep piling on the weight!

[quote]tueighty wrote:

I’m really glad I decided not to up my rows yet. I felt a little weak in my lower back of all places…so I made sure to keep my form proper and my back straight. I really didnt want to risk anything.
[/quote]

Surprise!! Everyones lower back is weak. Keep your chest out and your lower back arched. Work on your hamstring flexibility. Make sure you rest your back between workouts. A good day of yardwork, or laying tile, will mess you up for the rest of the week, speaking from experience. :slight_smile:

[quote]tueighty wrote:
Squat is starting to get a little rough - the weight seems to be building up fast…as it goes up every time, unlike the other lifts that only go up once-twice a week. I may reach a stopping point on my squat soon - which would be fine but I would rather just keep piling on the weight![/quote]

Take your time. Put the weight up by 5lbs at a time. When you can’t, put it up on Mondays and Fridays, then just Mondays or every second workout. It’s not a race. Make sure you have your form right. Getting your deadlift up will probably help your squat.

Stu

[quote]stuward wrote:

Surprise!! Everyones lower back is weak. Keep your chest out and your lower back arched. Work on your hamstring flexibility. Make sure you rest your back between workouts. A good day of yardwork, or laying tile, will mess you up for the rest of the week, speaking from experience. :slight_smile:

Take your time. Put the weight up by 5lbs at a time. When you can’t, put it up on Mondays and Fridays, then just Mondays or every second workout. It’s not a race. Make sure you have your form right. Getting your deadlift up will probably help your squat.

Stu
[/quote]

Totally good advice Stu! Oh and my hamstrings are probably as loose as they should ever be - I can put my face on my knees with perfectly straight legs without warming up…gotta love martial arts…

I’ve been doing the 5+ lbs on every lift it seems pretty good - I may back it down like you said though - I dunne yet. I think my analytical brain is kicking in ahead of time. Sometimes you just gotta be mean with the iron right? hahaha

I’ll probably make more progress on my deadlift now since I’m doing the sets the right way 1x5 instead of 3x5!

Wed 27 Feb 08

Numbers:
squat 3x5x140
bench 3x5x105
deadlift 1x5x135

I didnt sleep well at all the last couple nights. I could really feel it. I woke up sore, so I spent a little more time and a little more care on my warmup and my warmup sets. I did an extra warmup set for everything.

I felt so tired and weak - but I finished all the lifts. Man sleep is SOOOOO important - anyone reading this should take that fact away - GET YOUR SLEEP IN.

My numbers on the squat will not go up on friday. I’ll see how I feel and take it from there. I should be okay raising my other friday numbers another 5 lbs though.

Today I have been thinking about my conditioning. Its really taken a back seat all together to weight lifting. I can’t afford that as a martial artist. I need to be able to apply my new strengths with the same amount of speed/strength endurance or all this is for nothing. I think pretty soon I need to take a week off of weights and do an entire week long circuit of conditioning, then hop back on the weights and continue doing both at the same time…

What do you guys think about maintaining a good endurance/conditioning base while still making gains in weight lifting? Its it feasable? I know it will slow progress but how much? Any thoughts… ?

thanks!

Friday Feb 29

Numbers:
Squat 3x5x140lbs
Military Press 3x5x60lbs
Deadlift 1x5x140lbs

supps:
3x10x35lbs single leg standing calf raise
3x15xbw double standing calf raises
3x10x30lbs tibialis raise

didnt have access to a computer to post these numbers on friday - so I’m posting them today - I’ll post today’s numbers later after I have lifted them!

Felt pretty confident in the squat. The weight is probably perfect for another go or two. I won’t be raising it again for a while. I messed up what lifts I was supposed to do again - I think my brain really just wants to do it this way or something… oh well

I will get on track one of these days - by then the program will be over and I’ll be on something else hahaha

Mon March 3 08

Numbers:

Squat 3x5x140lbs
Bench 3x5x115lbs
Pendlay Row 3x5x90lbs

Two victories today - I have yet another lift with 45lb plates on it…yes!!! I messed up on my bench and did reps at 115 instead of 110 - and it felt pretty light. yes!!!

squat finally felt manageable - I’ll be puttin up another 5 on there next go…

Wed 5 mar 08

Numbers:

Squat 3x5x145lbs
Military Press 3x5x60lb
Deadlift 1x5x145lbs

feeling weak in the Military press - last few reps were brutal to say the least

So its been 1 month roughly since I started the Rippetoe program. I have not followed it hardcore but made the best of what I did do. My numbers are definately looking better!

Starting numbers (including the 45lb bar):

Squat 3x5x125lbs
Military Press 3x5x95lbs
Deadlift 3x5x115lbs
Bench Press 3x5x115lbs
Pendlay Row 3x5x115lbs

Numbers now (including the 45lb bar):

Squat 3x5x190lbs
Military Press 3x5x105lb
Deadlift 1x5x190lbs
Bench 3x5x160lbs
Pendlay Row 3x5x135lbs

My military press has not gone up much at all as you can see. I think that is just fine! I really think this is helping balance out my body stregths and weaknesses. My squat/deadlift is getting better all the time, and thats really what I need to do. My legs are still really weak, but getting better!
May I’ll post pics in one more month? I know my shirts are tighter and my waist on my pants are more loose…which is crazy - I think I have a 30 inch waist now.

I’m no longer keeping this log in the forums, I’m moving it to the BLOG function in my profile. I’m also kind of bored with weight lifting right now so I’m not going to do it for a week or two - and probably do something other than Rippetoe. I need something with variety.

weight lifting only works when you want to continue to do it. If I’m bored I KNOW I wont do it…seems logical to me

Don’t quit because you’re bored. Switch routines, but don’t stop lifting. It will be to hard to start again.

Are you bored or disappointed in your results? Mentally, there is a huge difference. Online, we can’t tell. If Rippetoe is not for you, then its not for you. We would be more disappointed with you not doing anything then changing gears.

I’m not going to quit…I love lifting its great!

I just feel I’m more excited to lift, and when I get in the gym, what I’m doing is just not that fun, maybe its just getting old but I will try a different program

I started mountain biking again this year, first time on a bike in a few years - I’ll tell you what, climbing a good steap grade is one heck of a leg/lower back workout!

Anyways I really do like my results so far, so thats not the issue, and you guys have helped a lot so I don’t want to disappoint you either! I’ll figure it out - maybe its already time to shift to WS4SB just for variety

I mean really, if you’re not into the program mentally, then there is no point continuing. That happened during week 7 of Rippetoe for me. I’m kind of bland, so maybe that’s why I kept going.

Pick something else and keep a log so we can all make fun of you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

hahahaha yeah!

I’ll be keeping a log in the “My Magnum” part - under my blog section…
I’ll still post stuff too cuz forums are addicting!

try doing some olympic lifts, they are great for me. just dont go high on the weight or you can get injured

also try some good music, or try to reduce the rest times. whatever gets more adrenaline going will help you like it.

also maybe try lifting to failure. not the best idea always but thats more or less the stimuli your body needs in order to think it needs more muscle

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
also maybe try lifting to failure. not the best idea always but thats more or less the stimuli your body needs in order to think it needs more muscle[/quote]

lifting to failure is definately something I want to try - because in the arts I study we do everything to failure, makes sense to try it in weight lifting too…

by the way lordstorm your new pic makes you look pissed off, and ready to annihilate some weights bro hahaha