T Nation

Tucking in Elbows During Bench

So it turns out that I’ve been benching with my elbows flared out. Just wondering two things -

1. Beyond letting you use your lats to assist with the benching, is there any other performance / health benefit to benching with the elbows tucked?

2. Should I be trying to make my plane of motion lower (i.e. more at the level of lower chest / upper abs than at mid-chest) with other chest exercises, like db flies? Or just use whatever plane that lets me get fullest extension?

Thanks for any help y’all can give me.

-Jeff

Tucking the elbows can help to prevent shoulder problems later on.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
Tucking the elbows can help to prevent shoulder problems later on.[/quote]

x2

It also takes the emphasis off the pecs and puts more emphasis on the triceps and deltoids. You will lessen the chance of a torn pec or bicep with elbows tucked in.

Lower the bar to the top of the sternum. The bar path is not a straight line. It curves up and back.

TNT

By tuck do you mean completly , like your elbows are nearly touching your body, say, or to like a 45 degree angle to your body?

BY 45 degrees i mean like this

Thanks!

Diesel crew on youtube has an awesome instructional video (don’t have the link unfortunately) that shows how. Basically as they lower the weight they make an “elbow correction” where they twist their wrists to the outsides slightly I’ve tried it and it’s helped my form a lot which was much needed. I used to bench with elbows waaaayyyy flared and eventually tore my supraspinatus and got some wicked clicking in my left shoulder.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
MC sp3 wrote:
Tucking the elbows can help to prevent shoulder problems later on.

x2

It also takes the emphasis off the pecs and puts more emphasis on the triceps and deltoids. You will lessen the chance of a torn pec or bicep with elbows tucked in.

Lower the bar to the top of the sternum. The bar path is not a straight line. It curves up and back.

TNT
[/quote]

Bar’s supposed to move in a straight line.

Not curve like a J.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

TNT

Not curve like a J.[/quote]

Here it goes…

Think about bending the bar towards your legs as you press.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

Not curve like a J.[/quote]

Says who?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

Not curve like a J.

Says who?[/quote]

Not Jay Fry, Wendler, or the Metal Militia benchers.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
Diesel crew on youtube has an awesome instructional video (don’t have the link unfortunately) that shows how. Basically as they lower the weight they make an “elbow correction” where they twist their wrists to the outsides slightly I’ve tried it and it’s helped my form a lot which was much needed. I used to bench with elbows waaaayyyy flared and eventually tore my supraspinatus and got some wicked clicking in my left shoulder.[/quote]