T Nation

Tucked Bench Press Owning my Delts

i don’t think this is supposed to happen but the front delts are way sore after benching tucked elbows raw.
anyone come across this beforE?

[quote]kickureface wrote:
i don’t think this is supposed to happen but the front delts are way sore after benching tucked elbows raw.
anyone come across this beforE?[/quote]

you are probably pressing by leading with the shoulders. i see this in the gym quit a bit. as the lifter initiats the lift, their chest caves and the shoulders come forward. you need to take a big air into the chest and hold your breath throughout the lift. this will keep you tight and keep your chest big. also, getting a tight arch with your feet under you will force your chest up high.

usually the people i see benching with their chest lower than their shoulders are laying flat on the bench and you can see them breathing during the reps. finally, if you are retracting your scapulas and positioning yourself up on your traps, your chest should be much higher than your shoulders.

good luck.

Proper breathing and groove is obviously half the battle on bench.

I finally found my groove on squat, I mean if I can control it on the way down, I’m pretty much going to get back up with it. I have my breathing down.

I guess I’m asking mauradermeat, so I got arch, not sure if I’m also doing big chest.

I imagine your saying big chest with shoulders tucked in the “down” position and back.

Whats proper breathing? When do you breath in and breath out?

I don’t believe I breath until I’m at the top of the stroke, and I hold it down and up.

Correct me.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Proper breathing and groove is obviously half the battle on bench.

I finally found my groove on squat, I mean if I can control it on the way down, I’m pretty much going to get back up with it. I have my breathing down.

I guess I’m asking mauradermeat, so I got arch, not sure if I’m also doing big chest.

I imagine your saying big chest with shoulders tucked in the “down” position and back.

Whats proper breathing? When do you breath in and breath out?

I don’t believe I breath until I’m at the top of the stroke, and I hold it down and up.

Correct me.[/quote]

if you are retracting your scapulas the way you should and you have positioned yourself up on your traps with a tight arch the shoulders should be lower than the pecs. this has many benfits to a big bench- you have a shorter range of motion, it’s easier to tuck, you can row the weight down more effectively because you can get your lats into the movement and you will be stronger because you’re using more muscle groups.

I don’t breath at all during my set. it could be a set of one or a set of 5. i hold my breath the entire time. this is an important thing to understand. at any point, if you let out the air, you are going to lose your tightness and with it a significant amount of power. It’s taken me a long time but i can hold my breath for a good set of 5 paused bench reps with no problem. the only time i’ll breath is during warmup sets with light weight or if i’m doing hypertrophy work. in that case i’m pretty much flat backed anyway and i have no tightness anyway.

Thanks.

I have some arch/retraction, not flat backed untucked. I’ll look into shoulder immobilization during the set and moving my feet.

A problem I encounter is when I’m trying to drive myself into the bench on the setup, my upper back slides up the bench and I have a shittier arch. Is there another way to setup without this issue?

And PL bench is horrid for chest hypertrophy, but not too bad for tricep hyperstrophy?

Thanks MM

[quote]kickureface wrote:
I have some arch/retraction, not flat backed untucked. I’ll look into shoulder immobilization during the set and moving my feet.

A problem I encounter is when I’m trying to drive myself into the bench on the setup, my upper back slides up the bench and I have a shittier arch. Is there another way to setup without this issue?

And PL bench is horrid for chest hypertrophy, but not too bad for tricep hyperstrophy?

Thanks MM[/quote]

get some Stickum for your back. you wont’ go anywhere.

i figured you were asking from a strength persepective since this was the strength forum… yeah… PLing bench isn’t the way to go for big ol’ pecs.

Check out where your triceps are at the top of your bench. If they’re flaring out at the top than they are weak and your shoulders are taking over. Pound on your triceps. Some info my cousin got at Westside.