Tubbynewb's Long Road to Not being a Busted Up Camero

Hey Tubby welcome back.
I’m in for your progress :slight_smile:
Did read the first long post rant, and thought well will that Camaro ever come out of the garage.
Got kind of lost on the next skimmed through them and got to the last post.

You picked up the wrench again after 8 years, that’s f*****ng awesome man.

Keep posting and stay on the path.

Can’t wait to hear that big V8 roar when it’s fine tuned to perfection.

Keep grinding :slight_smile:

Cheers guys, I really appreciate it.

Unsurprisingly, everything at 38 is harder than it was at 30, but after years of stupidity I’ve learned that there are different types of pain some to be worked through and some to be worked around.

I’ve certainly learned that general soreness is nothing to be worried about, just keep pushing and the stiffness will fade and new places will hurt and you’ll survive that. I’ve also learned that modification is important, better to do lots of what you can than to injure yourself seriously and not be able to train at all.

I’ll keep letting you guys know how I am tracking and hope to one day get to the point where I feel comfortable to post before and afters, the after of course with a nike in one hand to best illustrate how shredded I am…

1 Like

So a quick update, i completed a challenge on Saturday and managed to lose 10.2 kgs in 6 weeks, which gives me a total of 42.2 kgs lost since november last year.

I still look like a used piping bag, its going to take time for my skin to tighten if it dose at all and I still have some more fat to lose which ill keep working hard at.

what i am looking forward to the most is enjoying my training more and not having time limits on how fast I need to drop fat.

I’m about to go on holiday and when i’m back the plan is to get a body scan to see exactly where i’m at composition wise and then after one more 6 week cycle with a fitness and fat loss focus to change things up and start working on building some muscle again.

I’ll let you all know how i go.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

after completing my challenge I became unfocused and spent a couple of months not really knowing what to do.

My ankles are in poor shape, causing problems through my calves and hips and lower back which has translated into lots of pain and a physio telling me that plyometric activities are out and to only train legs twice a week.

On 30 July I started the 3 month boring but big challenge with very low numbers for example my 1 rm for deadlift was only 140, but after 2 months its up to 170 and I’m going to keep grinding at it for a few more weeks and and see where i end up in week 11, but I’mm hoping to push beyond 180.

Beyond that I’m going to do Dan Johns 10000 swing challenge, I’m going to be realistic and do it over 5 weeks rather than 4 and most likely ill use just 20 kgs rather than 24, because 1 i have a 20kg bell at home if something comes up and i cant get to the gym and 2 because I’m not sure i can do it with a 24, and i don’t mean do it once but do 500 swings a session for 5 weeks.

My eating went nuts pretty much 3 seconds after my last post and I’ve put on quite a bit of weight, some is muscle, some is water, but there is also quite a bit of fat which I am getting rid of by tightening my diet back up and then the conditioning aspects of the Dan John Routine should take care of the rest.

As always cheers for the support and for reading.

take care
Tubby

2 Likes

Hey man you’re back, welcome back.
In for the follow as always, that KB challenge sounds like a tough one.

2 Likes

Cheers for the support mate, last Friday was a tough one, I made it through my squats no problems but 5 x 10 of 120kg deadlifts was a real grind, for some reason my second set was super tough, but i pushed through it and got em all done.

overall month 3 is a lot tougher than 2, and month 1 felt like a breeze, but if it was supposed to be easy everyone would be strong.

50 reps of Deadlift is no joke man. Well done.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if the 5 x 10 of deadlifts on squat day or 5 x 10 of squats on deadlift day is harder, i know which one id prefer to fail during though, either way its more of a grind than the 5 x 10 of bench or military press that I alternate on upper body days

2 Likes

Time for an update.

The third month of the boring but big challenge has had mixed results.

My squat has gone up from 1RM @ 80KG to a double @ 125kg. My deadlift has gone from a 1RM @ 140kg to 170KG, my Bench from a 1RM @ 90KG to 105KG and my strict military press from a 1RM @ 40 KG to @ 60KG

I’m a little disappointed with the deadlift result 170 was a real grind at the end of month 2 but i got it and last week for month 3s max it came up easy, so easy i was tempted to touch and go for a second but instead felt greedy so i stopped and instead tried at 180 and could not budge the weight at all.

Now i just have 2 more deload workouts to go and its into the Dan John swing challenge…

I wouldn’t say that Tubby
45 kg squat, 30 kg deadlift, 15 kg bench and 20 kg press
That is f*cking awesome man.
I feel you with the deadlift but if you maxed out on the second month you just haven’t fully recovered yet. But the good part is it was easier.
Next time instead of tying the pr, shoot for like 172,5 kg, that’s a pr and then go big if you were on top of it.
The camaro is about to hit the road man.

2 Likes

Cheers mate, I’m going to smash myself on this swing program starting next week, ill let you know how i go.

1 Like

yeah so i think i owe it to everyone to be honest about how far I’ve backslid since my last post.

The 10000 swing challenge didnt happen, the 10000 calories for about 12 months did.

I had a number of injuries that i allowed to stop me from training, i came close to having to be sectioned because my mental health was completely screwed and a combination of multiple medications a lot of eating and what can only be described as alcohol abuse has seen my weight hit over 150kgs. a very soft flabby 6xl shirt +150 kgs.

I have just started training again, 2 days in, group exercise which i discovered i really like, and I’m sore as fuck and ashamed at how far i have let myself go, but I’m going to get back the 34 inch waist I had 16 months ago, and I’m not going to let my demons beat me.

At the moment i cant do a push-up, can barely dangle from a chin-up bar and my gut is in the way when I try to do a sit-up, but I will make progress, and share with you guys when I do.

sorry to have let everyone who supported me down again. I will rebuild.

yeah still fat, still shoveling shit food in, still doing group fitness classes, some more fun than others.

I am starting a gym challenge at the start of February goes for 8 weeks and my goal is to burn up 12kgs of fat and also to get rid of some extra fluid.

I understand that’s a deficit of around 12000 kcal a week, but with a set diet and hard training I believe that its do able.

my plan in the weeks after the challenge are to keep training and eating right and maintain my losses and lose a little more fat and establish the way of eating as my normal habit and then to complete another challenge which will be 12 week where i would aim to lose a further 15 kgs, so that by the end of the second challenge and the second week of august ill be around 30 kgs of fat down, which would make me still fat, but in a lot better shape than I had been previously.

my ultimate goal is to by the end of this year have completed 3 challenges and to have lost 40 kgs of fat and increased my lean muscle mass through clean eating and hard training.

i don’t know how much water i can possibly lose, i have something like 22 kgs of extra cellular fluid according to a scan i had done, so i would hope that a lot of that can be worked off too, but only time and effort will tell.

i will let you know my results as i achieve them.