T Nation

Trying Too Hard To Sell Memberships

Man, I just wanted to go check out a gym in my area. I just wanted to look, and they sat there for 30 fucking minutes telling me why I should train there. One guy would walk in, chant my name, sit down for a bit and leave again. The other guy was the co-owner who even called another gym that might give me a job to ‘try’ to get me to work there.

It was really fucking annoying. I think I’ll use my free pass and get the fuck out.

Only problem is, my gym doesn’t have a squat rack, or power rack… this one does…

Chant your name? LOLWUT?

[quote]Defekt wrote:
Chant your name? LOLWUT?[/quote]

Well I was talkin to the other guy, then he randomly walks in and goes…

“Jesse! Jesse! Jesse! Use our squat rack!”

I was honestly amazed at a 40year old man doing this.

lmfao

[quote]Defekt wrote:
lmfao [/quote]

Only thing is, I really want that power rack. It’s their only way to sell me.

God damnit shit crap.

I wish I had a home gym, that would be awesome.

you’re a stud. chanting your name!

Weird. But you need a rack…

Why did you sit there for 30 minutes? Politely leaving a sales pitch is a skill you should learn :slight_smile:

And having more contacts (seems like the place is a community), even somewhat weird contacts, is not a bad thing.

Oh man! You’re fucking awesome!

Seriously though…this is retarded. Why are you complaining about something that you obviously want?

If you thought it was annoying, all you had to do was walk away. You probably had the biggest hard-on ever.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Defekt wrote:
Chant your name? LOLWUT?

Well I was talkin to the other guy, then he randomly walks in and goes…

“Jesse! Jesse! Jesse! Use our squat rack!”

I was honestly amazed at a 40year old man doing this.[/quote]

I used to work for a commercial gym and some of the stuff they had us do was over the top weird. Same kind of stuff you’re talking about.

They did teach us how to sell fairly effectively and their methods for over coming objections were fantastic - the entire “tour” was designed to give you the ammo to point out any inconsistency when a prospect said “no” to joining.

Frankly, working there ended up saving me a lot of money because I’m able to feel when someone is trying to sell to me.

A piece of advice, do it right back to them. When your free time is up, ask them if they want you to be a member - they’ll say yes. When you tell them that the price is too high or you want more free time to think about it and they say “no” just say “I thought you wanted me to be a member. Help me understand why you don’t want me to join anymore.”

Ah yes the hard sell used by car salesmen and gym “trainers” everywhere. When I worked at WOW we had to do the hard sell, in a way it’s kind of fun to fuck with the people who have no intention of joining they’re just nosey, but on the other burning bridges for possible members sucked. It was a shit or get off the pot type of tactic

Rattler
Rattler
Rattler

I just saw a Family Guy where they gave Stewie the hard sell to join a gym. I laughed my ass off.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Rattler
Rattler
Rattler

I just saw a Family Guy where they gave Stewie the hard sell to join a gym. I laughed my ass off.[/quote]

That wasn’t really a hard time, my job we’d be known to physically keep people at the gym, and car sales you want your car keys back?

[quote]905Patrick wrote:

I used to work for a commercial gym and some of the stuff they had us do was over the top weird. Same kind of stuff you’re talking about.

They did teach us how to sell fairly effectively and their methods for over coming objections were fantastic - the entire “tour” was designed to give you the ammo to point out any inconsistency when a prospect said “no” to joining.

Frankly, working there ended up saving me a lot of money because I’m able to feel when someone is trying to sell to me.

A piece of advice, do it right back to them. When your free time is up, ask them if they want you to be a member - they’ll say yes. When you tell them that the price is too high or you want more free time to think about it and they say “no” just say “I thought you wanted me to be a member. Help me understand why you don’t want me to join anymore.”[/quote]

Haha, yup! My gym was serious about sales training for its staff. I’m really glad for it, though. It’s handy in life.

I can get just about anyone to do just about anything simply by repeating their name over and over again…

There is a pretty simple way to cut through all this BS.

Just say no and mean it.

Repeat as often as necessary.