T Nation

Trying to Stay Lean and Strong

I got this exercise phys book for free. not going to say where. It’s telling me that a diet of 1200-1500cal will yield a 90% fat loss 10%lbm loss.

I don’t know where they’re getting their numbers from. It’s a general statement.

My goal is to establish and keep a high relative strength ratio. I don’t really care if I lose some lean body mass along with fat. I don’t want to be weak while I’m trying to get lean.

Dan John writes about people always writing to him about wanting to lose fat and gain muscle. Then he says you can’t do that at the same time.

It’d be nice to keep all my muscle and have 5% body fat. That won’t happen to me though without the V diet or drugs. I just don’t want to be weak. Is it possible to make both of my goals (getting lean and staying strong)a reality at the same time?

My diet isn’t bad compared to the average american-that means it’s probably terrible. I eat at home. Don’t buy a lot of processed crap. I combine carbs and fats though-I try to keep them low GI carbs when eating with fat. I try to eat a lot of protein. When it’s in food form who knows how much I’m really getting.

My portion control is terrible.

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
I don’t know where they’re getting their numbers from. It’s a general statement.[/quote]

They’re general recommendations based on general averages. And with so many 800 kcal minimum drive-thru options available, they can’t be far off for the masses.

[quote]My diet isn’t bad compared to the average american-that means it’s probably terrible. I eat at home. Don’t buy a lot of processed crap. I combine carbs and fats though-I try to keep them low GI carbs when eating with fat. I try to eat a lot of protein.

My portion control is terrible.[/quote]

You might try experimenting with fewer (ie. bigger) daily meals.

I got this exercise phys book for free. not going to say where. It’s telling me that a diet of 1200-1500cal will yield a 90% fat loss 10%lbm loss.
[/quote]
I will give you 4 weeks tops, eating 1200 calories and training, before you burn out or stall your metabolism.

I did the V-diet a couple years ago and even that was 1800-ish calories for 4 weeks then the 2 week transition phase. By the time it was over I was having day dreams about vegetables and grilled chicken breasts.

I don’t know where they’re getting their numbers from. It’s a general statement.

My goal is to establish and keep a high relative strength ratio. I don’t really care if I lose some lean body mass along with fat. I don’t want to be weak while I’m trying to get lean.

Dan John writes about people always writing to him about wanting to lose fat and gain muscle. Then he says you can’t do that at the same time.

It’d be nice to keep all my muscle and have 5% body fat. That won’t happen to me though without the V diet or drugs. I just don’t want to be weak. Is it possible to make both of my goals (getting lean and staying strong)a reality at the same time?

My diet isn’t bad compared to the average american-that means it’s probably terrible. I eat at home. Don’t buy a lot of processed crap. I combine carbs and fats though-I try to keep them low GI carbs when eating with fat. I try to eat a lot of protein. When it’s in food form who knows how much I’m really getting.

My portion control is terrible.
[/quote]

Don’t confuse strength with muscle size. While muscle size correlates with strength being stronger doesn’t necessarily correlate to having more muscle mass. For example, I lift with a woman who can squat 100lbs more than me and she weighs almost as much less than me. She just happens to be much more neurologically efficient than me.

Just keep lifting heavy so that your body has a reason to keep your muscle tissue intact.

It might also help if you switch metabolic pathways so that you aren’t using so much glucose. This will make it mentally easier to maintain a hypocaloric diet.

[quote]JLone wrote:
By the time it was over I was having day dreams about vegetables and grilled chicken breasts. [/quote]

Who knew a diet based on fake food would leave one craving real food…?

Just eat a little under maintenance and get on a strength template (5/3/1, Westside, Juggernaut). Make sure to get in around 1g/lb of BW for Protein, and .45g/lb of BW for Fat, then fill in the rest of calories with whatever you want. I prefer Carbs, but it depends on what you want. When you stop losing weight, add cardio or cut 300-500 calories a day.

Ohh, and mixing macronutrients in a the same meal (like fat and carbs) isn’t a big deal.

[/quote]

I lift with a woman who can squat 100lbs more than me and she weighs almost as much less than me. She just happens to be much more neurologically efficient than me.

[/quote]

you should have children with her.

Forget about counting calories. Bring your carbs right down, up your fats a a bit and eat unlimited protein and green veggies

you should have children with her.[/quote]

I don’t think I would survive coitus with her.

:slight_smile: