Trying to Sleep with Wide Shoulders

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Memory foam.

Cost a bunch but I have about 2-3" of it on top of my mattress. I find sleeping on it quite comfortable once you find a position.

My friend’s parents have memory foam that was about 5-6". Unreal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ran into the $1,000. [/quote]

x2 memory foam. A pretty affordable solution for me was just buying 4 of those 30 dollar memory foam mattress toppers. My bed is so cushy, I love sleeping in it. I sleep on my side too, a big firm pillow is essential. Don’t be afraid to shell out 30 bucks for a BIG firm pillow. And some earplugs for when your asshole neighbor is up all night being drunk and playing video games.

I have big shoulders and no problem sleeping on my side, my neck has been bugging me though…Maybe that’s why?

I don’t have big shoulders, but I think for anyone, propping their head up is a concern. One thing I find is that if you have your hand underneath your head, you can instinctively adjust it and give it that extra height.

Like, before we invented pillows, we probably did use our arms as pillows in a lot of cases.

Besides head support, could part of what makes lying on your shoulder uncomfortable be related to adhesions and maybe doing soft tissue work like foam rolling or whatever could help?

Another thing is, especially if you sleep on your chest, tight muscles could make it hard. Like, if you can’t internally rotate your shoulder enough (probably not an issue for most benchers) then it’s painful to get your forearm underneath the pillow. Resting in that position’s probably a stupid idea (especially since you need to rotate your neck to breathe) which is why moving to side sleeping is better.

Sleeping on your back is cool but it seems strange, maybe we feel more vulnerable that way? Resting on our side, it’s probably easier to roll around.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Can’t sleep on my stomach because of night time erections. [/quote]

On that note…I think it is about time I invented the “mattress with a hole”. Imahine hours upon hours of restful erectionated sleep due to having a mattress…with a hole in it. Yes, some dudes will probably just end up fucking the mattress, but just think of all of those extra hours of rest from NOT having to figure out a way to bend your wang into a pretzel just so you can fall a sleep.

Oh, and don’t think I don’t hear you guys saying, “why don’t you just jack off and fall to sleep happy?!”…which is a very good suggestion, but some of us have tight schedules…or maybe our hands get tired…or maybe we just had sex and that late night infomercial about butt toning simply instigated a late woody after the lady has gone to sleep for the evening.

Oh, and don’t think I don’t hear you guys saying, “why not just screw her in her sleep?!”…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Bujo wrote:
Can’t sleep on my stomach because of night time erections.

On that note…I think it is about time I invented the “mattress with a hole”. Imahine hours upon hours of restful erectionated sleep due to having a mattress…with a hole in it. Yes, some dudes will probably just end up fucking the mattress, but just think of all of those extra hours of rest from NOT having to figure out a way to bend your wang into a pretzel just so you can fall a sleep.

Oh, and don’t think I don’t hear you guys saying, “why don’t you just jack off and fall to sleep happy?!”…which is a very good suggestion, but some of us have tight schedules…or maybe our hands get tired…or maybe we just had sex and that late night infomercial about butt toning simply instigated a late woody after the lady has gone to sleep for the evening.

Oh, and don’t think I don’t hear you guys saying, “why not just screw her in her sleep?!”…[/quote]

I think every guy has thought of this mattress especially for the early morning boner.

I second PX about the pillows. You need more pillows, I haven’t used one pillow since I was 8, I found some stiff pillows (they can squish but as long as it’s my big head they stay pretty much as they were) that I only need two to sleep with. What I do is I lay the one pillow horizontally, and the other one parallel to my torso (like I’m going to cuddle with it) and lay my head on the second pillow.

It does two things, it allows me to go down to half the height if I roll on my back and it allows me to let my head rest comfortably on my side.

On the plus side, a thick back would be great for GERD. :smiley:

Fuck I’ve been getting brutal shoulder pain too. That side-sleeper pillow could be a huge breakthrough for me.

is this the new “my legs are too big to find pants that fit” threads?

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
is this the new “my legs are too big to find pants that fit” threads?[/quote]

Why i believe it is!

My current bed is far harder than my last one in addition sleeping with springy foam pillows and suddenly im waking up with pins and needles in my arms and a sore neck. Buying feather pillows in south korea is impossible. I see a memory foam mattress in my future.

Why do few people sleep on their backs? I couldn’t sleep any other way.

I can’t fall asleep on my stomach because I have fused vertebrae in my neck and my head wont turn that far in either direction. Lying on your side just isn’t comfortable.

There are two guys at my gym who are brothers, and they both wear compression sleeves because they both sleep on their arm each night and it has caused neurological damage. One sleeps on his right arm and the other on his left.

LOL I’m at 2 pillows right now but sleeping on my stomach has helped a lot. That tingling feeling when your arm/hand goes dead numb & you bite it/wave it around frantically while your wife is looking at you like “WTF?” at 3AM… Good times.

I’m comfortable sleeping in all three positions (back, stomach, both sides).

Suck it.

I used to have the same problem, I would sleep for 10-12 hours and wake up tired and sore. My shoulder felt like it was practically dislocated, one or both hands asleep. Then I got checked for sleep apnea, I was choking in my sleep every 3 minutes. I got a breathing machine and no more shoulder pain, no sleeping hands, and i woke up feeling good. It might be worth talking to your doctor about it…

funny, I’ve been having shoulder issues as well that I think i have fixed by adding more pillows. I sleep on my side and used to use a flat pillow and a big one. now I tried 2 big fluffy ones and It has made a huge difference

I sleep on my stomach, even though it’s supposedly the worst position to sleep in. Sleeping on my side is just so uncomfortable.