Trying to Lose Weight and Gain Muscle

I am eating 2500 calories a day but burning a 1000 lifting weighs and cardio am I not eating enough to make muscle gains and still lose fat

I think a lot of people here will be happy to help you, but you’ve asked an impossible-to-answer question.

Without going into all of the little details, I will do my best to keep things simple.

Are you losing scale weight? If so, you are eating in a calorie deficit and probably losing fat. If not, you are not in a deficit and most likely will not be dropping any fat.

Are you getting stronger? If so, you are eating enough to drive strength gains. If not, throwing more food at it may be the answer, but it may not be. That depends on many factors.

Are you doing both at the same time? Keep doing what you’re doing. You’ve found the sweet spot.

Are you doing one but not the other? You may still want to keep doing what you are doing. I’ve built a fair bit of muscle and lost a fair bit of fat over the last few years, but I don’t think I’ve ever really done both at the same time.

Are you failing to do either? Time for a good look at what you’re trying to do and how you’re trying to do it.

I’m not saying you can’t pull it off, but I wouldn’t bet my paycheck that you are actually adding muscular bodyweight while simultaneously dropping fat. I’ve gotten STRONGER while dropping fat, but that’s not always the same thing as packing on muscular body weight.

As stated earlier, I’m sure plenty of people will be happy to help you if you spent the time to give more information about yourself. Height, weight, age, training history, lifting numbers, fat levels, etc. Letting us know what your specific goal is would also help put all of this into the right context.

1 Like

I am 5’10 my weight is 292 I want to be 250 ish but I want to continue to get more muscle and stronger why loosing the weight all the apps and things I am reading are giving me different calorie amounts I have been at 2500 a day roughly and 2lbs a week but also I am burning 800 to 1000 a day with weights and cardio some apps say 3400 a day but I feel stuffed but feel strong with more calories were is the sweet spot for my size to gain muscle and loose the belly 40 lbs worth

Apps will say this and that. I don’t have much experience with them. I’ve used myfitnesspal to log intake and found it to be useful but tedious. That’s all I know about apps.

At the end of the day, what the apps say doesn’t matter one bit. Your personal results matter. See my series of yes/no questions above. Are you making progress that can be measured?

1 Like

292lbs at 5’10 = focus should be pretty much exclusively on fatloss until you hit 230-40.

Something like this will help you trim down fast and maintain if not build strength…

re diet some good points here…

I think a lot of the answer will depend on:

• how you’re getting those calories - ie your macros, and possibly to an extent meal frequency although that’s probably less important; and

• how you’re burning your calories. I know a calorie burned is a calorie burned but if, for example, you’re burning most of your calories doing steady state cardio and the remainder doing curls and calf raises I suspect the results are going to be much different than if you burned most of your calories squatting, pressing, rowing and sprinting.