T Nation

Trying To Lose 2 Pounds A Week

I will be 40 on December 26 and right now I am:
280 lb
6’2"
waist 47 inches on a good day.
Body fat I don’t fracking know.

So in desperation,I figure if I lose 2 lbs a week for the next 34 weeks i would lose… ahmmm 68lb.
My goal is to be 220lb with a 34 inch waist…by end of year.

I know it’s far fetch so I need advice how to safely lose 2 POUNDS A WEEK.I will be doing a daily log of my work out program what ever that is and of my diet what ever that is.

To start tonight I walk @ 4mph on the treadmill for 3 miles did it in 46min machine says I lost 280 calories…Also did 30 situps…
Man what a ugly picture…

I welcome any advice out there…

Well you gotta start somewhere! At least you are here seeking advice.

First off, read everything by John Berardi on this site. Check out johnberardi.com.

I think the best resource for you would be The Metabolism Advantage by John Berardi: Buy it, read it, live it.

If you are interested in the how/why of nutrition, buy Precision Nutrition by John Berardi at precisionnutrition.com. It is a great resource and will be everything you need nutrition wise.

Good luck and keep to it.

Jeff

Do you weight train? If you don’t, start now. Muscles consume additional calories even when you’re at rest so it makes sense to gain more to lose more, yes?

Look for a program in “Are You a Beginner II” at http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350. Pick a routine and do it exactly. Read Berardi’s work, as the guy with the Ken avatar said. It can be done. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys I will do my research today. The Beginners site has a lot of information to read up on I need to make this a quick decision ,clock is ticking…

I admire your determination and desire to get cracking. However, take some time to develop a plan that will allow you to achieve your goals. Better to spend that time up-front planning than spinning your wheels in frustration later.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Sprints; weights; eat as much whole, unprocessed foods as you can. This eliminates junk food, fast food and most of the carbs. If you really want to get healthy eat vegetarian.

Good luck!

I’ll dispute that any day of the week. It is extremely difficult to put together a healthy vegetarian diet. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but doing it without extensive research and planning is an excellent way to lose your lean body mass.

Bob - I went from 375 lbs to 185 lbs and I’ve kept the weight off for two years so I’m here to tell you that it absolutely can be done!

I’ll add my endorsement to Dr. Berardi. I use the Precision Nutrition program and I think it’s great. All of the principals for PN can be found for free in his nutrition articles at johnberardi.com but the PN program lays it all out for you in a very easy to follow and use way.

Ok enough for the commercial.

I’d just like to stress what I think is the most important principal. The body you have now is the result of your lifestyle. In order to change your body, you need to change your lifestyle. This seems like an obvious thing, but changing your lifestyle is extremely difficult and you’ll want to find ways to wiggle out of this fact, but you can’t.

Your true goal needs to be that you want to find a way to live your life where the body you want ends up being the natural result of that lifestyle. In more simple terms, this means you can’t “go on a diet” to lose fat. You need to permanently change your eating habits for the rest of your life. You need to learn how to eat right and exercise right every day for the rest of your life. Any nutrition program that won’t keep you healthy and fit if you follow it forever is a bad program.

Everyone thinks they know how to “eat right.” Trust me, you don’t. Study up, it is your only chance for permanent success.

I wish you nothing but the best and you are welcome to contact me any time for any advice or support you need. Believe you can do it and never give up. You will have setbacks. Overcome them. Never say die!

Has any one taken a gut like that “off”?

How about a gut like that down to a tight midsection year round?

How long does it take, I have about the same distance to go “old man” gut to “fighting trim”.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Has any one taken a gut like that “off”?[/quote]

Yes.

Yes. You can get rid of the fat and tighten the abs, but how much your skin will recover depends on your age and your skin condition.

It depends on your level of dedication and your knowledge of nutrition. When I was dieting hard, I lost as much as 10 lbs a week. Most weeks it was more like 2 to 5 lbs. I dropped 190 lbs in 12 months. I was eating 1200 calories a day and working my ass off, literally. I lost a lot of lean body mass in the beginning from not knowing what I was doing.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
I admire your determination and desire to get cracking. However, take some time to develop a plan that will allow you to achieve your goals. Better to spend that time up-front planning than spinning your wheels in frustration later.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress[/quote]

I think that’s what I have been doing wrongfor a long time…I guess a week of research wont hurt.

[quote]MichaelOH wrote:
If you really want to get healthy eat vegetarian.

Good luck![/quote]

High protein low carb, including lots of veggies, but not limited to vegetables. I seriously don’t know any vegetarians that don’t look like they are one step out of the grave. Either very fat from pounding back fries, or skinny and malnourished.

I know there are exceptions though, but for the most part…probably not the best way to go.

Dude: Have you watched the “Biggest Loser”? They take people who are very heavy/overweight and rip the fat off in massive chunks. Once the subjects get empowered and motivated, they transform.

I suggest a bike for the weight loss. Make sure the bike fits you. Get help in getting the bike to fit. Pace yourself and take lots of breaks, drink lots of water. Ride every other day for 1 hr. You’ll lose 10-15 the first week.

Ricisan

Great ideas guys I need read up on lot of stuff.
Tonight .
Again power walk and jog on the treadmill 3 miles,little quicker this time 40 min. I did some sprints for a min or two.

[quote]baretta wrote:
MichaelOH wrote:
If you really want to get healthy eat vegetarian.

Good luck!

High protein low carb, including lots of veggies, but not limited to vegetables. I seriously don’t know any vegetarians that don’t look like they are one step out of the grave. Either very fat from pounding back fries, or skinny and malnourished.

I know there are exceptions though, but for the most part…probably not the best way to go.[/quote]

Vegetarians are usually slender, rarely the typical american fatass. I am one of the few exceptions:) They typically enjoy great stamina. They are rarely diabetics and they dont suffer from allergies (my own were drastically reduced when I began eating vegetarian).

The benefits of not ingesting a lot of bovine/poultry growth hormone and antibiotics are difficult to tease out over the short run. But so are the effects of smoking! Over the long haul does anyone want to wager how many vegetarians vs non are stll makin wood in thier 80s?

So what is it that you think is missing?

JMHO

[quote]bobbrich wrote:
Great ideas guys I need read up on lot of stuff.
Tonight .
Again power walk and jog on the treadmill 3 miles,little quicker this time 40 min. I did some sprints for a min or two.
[/quote]

Search under “sprint 8” or just “sprint”. It is argued that you can do sprints for 20 minutes and lose MORE fat than doing 45 min normal cardio.

I know sprint work I am just working my way up to that.Dont want to die on my second day at the gym…

I wouldn’t follow the methods shown on the “Biggest Loser” – I think they’re just a bit too drastic. If you keep your diet in check (the recommendations about high protein/low carb/LOTS of fibrous vegetables) and consistently weight train, you’ll notice the fat to start coming off easily.

As far as cardio, I assume you haven’t been all that active, so I’d be careful about throwing sprints in there right away. I think to begin with you should just do some low impact cardio (just walking). Keep using that method until you start to see that it’s not working for you.

THEN, use the HIIT when you’ve already lost a good deal of that weight, you’re in better shape, and want to blast whatever remains of that gut right off. I think if you’ve been inactive, doing sprints and HIIT right from the start might burn you out quickly, and also have a higher risk of injury.

Rigorously following a proper diet, weight-training (heavier, once you’ve worked up to it) and low-impact cardio will take you a long way.

Just my opinion, feel free to ask me anymore questions here or PM.

Oh, and I wouldn’t put too much stock into what the calorie burn count on the treadmill or other cardio equipment says. They’re not all that accurate IMO, and if you see that you “only” burned 300 calories after working hard, you might start getting discouraged.

Do anyone know the formula on calorie intake?You know base on your weight and activities how much calories you should take so you don’t eat your muscles,but still lose weight.

[quote]bobbrich wrote:
Do anyone know the formula on calorie intake?You know base on your weight and activities how much calories you should take so you don’t eat your muscles,but still lose weight.[/quote]

There is a daily needs calculator at NutritionData.com:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/calories-burned

Choose a “sedentary” lifestyle no matter what and don’t figure in exercise. Subtract 500 calories from the number you get and that’s your daily needs.

This is just a starting point. You’ll need to keep track of the calories you’re eating and see how it goes.

I have one of the scales that also tracks body fat percentage. They’re notoriously inaccurate, so don’t take the numbers as gospel, but you can use them to gauge how much lean mass you’re losing from week to week.

When it comes to nutrition, you have to get it all right. What foods you eat, what percentages of carbs, protein and fat you eat, when you eat, it’s all important for losing fat and minimizing lean body mass losses.

Lift heavy! Heavy weight/low rep routines encourage your body to hang on to the muscle it has much more than high rep routines do.

Forget the whole idea of burning calories through exercise. The number of calories you burn during exercise are trivial compared to the number of calories you burn the other 23 hours in a day. Your training program should be geared to keeping your metabolism high so you burn the maximum number of calories when you’re NOT exercising. The proven way to do that is High Intensity Interval Training. Don’t take my word for it, check it out on your own.

If you’re going to go the exercise bike routine, I’d get a recumbent bike. Those narrow seats on regular bikes may cause problems, especially for heavier guys.

I have a recumbent exercise bike and I love it. Here’s my HIIT routine: 90 seconds at 70% of Maximum Heart Rate then 30 seconds all out, then back to 70% for 90 seconds and then 30 seconds all out. Do that 15 times for a total of 30 minutes and you’ll have a killer workout. I used just such a workout to drop 190 lbs. I did my cardio on non-lifting days.