Trying to Get Strong

I’m a big fan of Jeff Nippard. Natural bodybuilder from Canada with good strength (350 / 405 / 485 on the Big Three). Science-based. He’s closer to my size (5’5" 165 lbs). But his principles are seem sound to me.

1 Like

Feeling worn down today. Very difficult squat session but I got through it.

Squat
315 5x5

Pullup
3x6 BW

Thinking 200g P, 200g C, 45g F. Giving me 2005 calories per day…

Bench is starting to get a bit heavy, will likely decrease weight bump by 5 lbs next week.

Bench
305 5 RM

Late post for Saturday May 14. The gym is back open. Taught class and did 4 5 Minute rounds of sparring. Exhausting haha! After lifted.

Squat
340 5 RM

Deadlift
430 5 RM

Man, you are very strong! Well Done! I am chasing your level of bench numbers.

Let me address some of your questions:

1. Maintaining strength on a cut:
    Almost impossible naturally, stick to heavy lifting and up protein intake to 1.25g per lbs of bodyweight minimum.

2. Overhead press:
    I find Rippetoe style lying tricep extensions the best for getting my triceps strong

For cues I contract my scapula and flex lats before lifting the bar off the rack. Before I push I ensure my elbows are directly under the bar.

1 Like

Terrible week so far. Not trying to complain. I’m remaining positive, but damn. I’ve been working nights and we opened the gym so I am training twice a day. Combine that with working during the day and I’ve had very little sleep. Hoping I can catch up on it tonight.

Diet has been very good, and with training I’m dropping some weight. Didn’t get a chance to Bench Monday so had to shift things. Considering taking this week as a backoff week.

Bench
295 x 4, 285 x 5, 285 x 5, 285 x 4, 284 x 3

You lifting after rolling? That sucks a large amount of power from me.

Yeah I had to yesterday. Just to get it in. It’s never a good idea. Maybe a bit of gatorade or something to add before lifting going forward with all this rolling going on.

Cyclic dextrin and Pepto pro right after Bjj. I only lift after BJJ when not in quarantine

1 Like

Last weeks programming got all messed up. Ended up volume squatting on Saturday and doing some singles on DL.

Saturday

Squat
315 5x5

Deadlift
405 1x2

This week off to a good start. Did 40 minutes of sparring this afternoon and got bench done.

Bench
275 5x5