T Nation

Trying To Gain Weight

Tryin to gain some muscle in my upcoming years at boarding school - all I can eat food (college cafeteria basically), and an all-access gym so I will be able to religously keep up with the program. Most of the food is served daily too so here is what I was thinkin of to start off (gonna gradually increase to prevent as much fat gain as I can). Here it is, as it goes, I will just keep increasing the serving sizes of the food:

Breakfast @ 7:30
2 packets oatmeal
2 whole hard-boiled eggs

10:30-11
apple (really tight here, have classes)

lunch @ 12:30
3 packs of turkey, peanutbutter, 2 slice swiss cheese, and banana on whole wheat
grilled chicken if served, and whatever veggies are served for day

after-cross country
gatorade (lifting follows cross country, tight on food here)

post-workout
bagel
1 whey protein shake

dinner:
1lb of whatever lean meat is being served
slice of whole wheat
veggies
all mixxed in a bowl

nighttime snack:
cheese =/

All my food is comin’ from the caf, so I have to actually take it and put it in tupperware cups. I do realize some of my meals are kinda shanky, but its all I can really eat in the time allotted without seeming like a loser (eating a sandwhich for instance running down the hallway will be sure to get bad impressions)

Each week I plan to soup up the serving sizes, such as eventually like 2 bagels after workout, more peanutbutter in sandwhich, meat, veggies, ect.

Any recommendations?

Also should un-clean foods be completely avoided? Because on the weekends, my grandparents (live with us) really force me into eating the bad stuff in hopes of “puttin’ some meat on my bones”. However, I would much rather have a lb of beef than a bowl of icecream and hot fudge, but they just don’t understand. My diet will be that following it to a T, except every three weekends where I guess I will be forced to have sweets lol. Any suggestions?

Also my lifting plan goes as:
day 1 max upper body
day 2 rest
day 3 max lower body
day 4 rest
day 5 supplemental upper body
day 6 rest
day 7 supplemental lower body

on the supps, I will cover some of the not-so worked smaller muscles that weren’t worked in the last workout (for instance sometimes I will find I am really feeling it in the chest and will focus more on the chest than back and what not, so I make up for it in the supplemental)

any recommendations?

currently: 5’ 11" 125-128lbs

Wow dude, 5-11 128 you are really skinny,but don’t worry just eat as much as you can at every meal, don’t worry about fat gain, train hard and keep it simple.

oh wait, just saw the cross country part, quit cross country or you’ll never gain weight

I’m not gonna flame you or jump down your throat, but this is the third thread you’ve started in as many days. You were given tons of advice and direction in the previous 2, including and offer of help from Eric Cressey. I don’t understand what happened there and don’t wanna know.

I feel bad for you because I’ve seen your pic and you seem like a good kid. I hope things get better for you. Good luck.

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Also should un-clean foods be completely avoided? Because on the weekends, my grandparents (live with us) really force me into eating the bad stuff in hopes of “puttin’ some meat on my bones”. However, I would much rather have a lb of beef than a bowl of icecream and hot fudge, but they just don’t understand. My diet will be that following it to a T, except every three weekends where I guess I will be forced to have sweets lol. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

We all know you have anorexia. Exactly how long will it be before you begin acting like you know you have it and stop continuing to act in ways that promote it? Why would someone who weighs 128lbs at your height be worried if they have an “unclean” meal? Your diet will be followed to a T? Your diet sucks and will suck until you actually start gaining some weight.

That means your diet should not be followed to a T. It should involve you eating more than feels comfortable to you right now until the scale begins moving up. Why only 2 hard boiled eggs? An apple…by itself?

If your goal is to help yourself get over this, then you need to eat more food and force yourself to not be so analyticial about things that shouldn’t even matter to you right now. Why would you avoid a hamburger? What “bad stuff” is being offered to you by your grandparents? Maybe you should stop avoiding what they are trying to feed you.

You have made several threads now all showing that you do need professional help. Not only that, but you need to understand what the problem really is. From this end, it seems to be some compulsion to focus on the smallest details before you ever understand the basic concepts.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
friedrice683 wrote:

We all know you have anorexia. Exactly how long will it be before you begin acting like you know you have it and stop continuing to act in ways that promote it? Why would someone who weighs 128lbs at your height be worried if they have an “unclean” meal? Your diet will be followed to a T? Your diet sucks and will suck until you actually start gaining some weight.

That means your diet should not be followed to a T. It should involve you eating more than feels comfortable to you right now until the scale begins moving up. Why only 2 hard boiled eggs? An apple…by itself?

If your goal is to help yourself get over this, then you need to eat more food and force yourself to not be so analyticial about things that shouldn’t even matter to you right now. Why would you avoid a hamburger? What “bad stuff” is being offered to you by your grandparents? Maybe you should stop avoiding what they are trying to feed you.

You have made several threads now all showing that you do need professional help. Not only that, but you need to understand what the problem really is. From this end, it seems to be some compulsion to focus on the smallest details before you ever understand the basic concepts.
[/quote]

Prof is spot on as usual.

FriedRice,

i remember someone of a fuss being made about the fact that doctors and such are somewhat taboo in your home. if thats the case, seize the opportunity at your boarding school to seek out the school psychologist. notice i said psychologist, NOT psychiatrist.

a psychologist will basically help you sort out your own thoughts, by simply asking you the right kinds of questions, to eventually get you to kind of discover something that deep-down you already realized, just werent seeing it…if that makes sense. anyway, im sure your boarding school has someone like this, perhaps theyre just refered to as a guidance counselor though.

either way, i think it could help you very much. im sure there are many of us that wish we could help you, but this is going to be a critical time in that youre going to have to stand up and help yourself, if you truly do want to get over this.

good luck, keep checking in here and all, but you have to take control of this yourself.