T Nation

Trying to Gain Weight- 17 Years Old?

Whats should i take to help me gain weight am only 17 an am truly not satisfied with my weight. Im only way 128 but i want to be bigger so what foods should i eat an how much a day u think? what should i do ?

Another View

My relaxed arm… See its not good enough it needs to better help me out guys plz

eat everything in sight. workout 5 days a week. you dont need to worry about what you eat just make sure you get about 200 grams of protein a day and around 4000-5000 kcals a day and you’ll start packing it right on.

You should take food. And eat it.
1 more year of raiding the parental unit’s fridge. I’d try to eat them out of house and home. Literally.

like they said you need to eat more. you should already be eatting 3 meals a day so you need to plan 2 or 3 more meals, one in between breakf.and lunch. and then one between that and dinner and finally one about 3 hrs before bed. eat healthy carbs and lots of Veggies fruits and of course protein.

Oh and looks for some supplments that will put on muscle, like that protein shake Biotest offers. and creatine that might help too

[quote]jerm wrote:
eat everything in sight. workout 5 days a week. you dont need to worry about what you eat just make sure you get about 200 grams of protein a day and around 4000-5000 kcals a day and you’ll start packing it right on.[/quote]

Hey really bro thanks for commenting

make sure you squat and work on your lower body with alot of emphasis, this will trigger your whole body to shift into growth mode. deadlift and squat religiously.

[quote]jerm wrote:
make sure you squat and work on your lower body with alot of emphasis, this will trigger your whole body to shift into growth mode. deadlift and squat religiously.[/quote]

Spread the gospel.

Eat,Eat,Eat,Eat,Lift,Eat,Eat,Sleep/Repeat

Right now you just need to eat and lift heavy. The more real food you can eat the better, so try not to over due it on the junk food, but eating enough is the most important thing right now.

Lift often, heavy, and make sure to target your lower body.

[quote]jerm wrote:
eat everything in sight. workout 5 days a week. you dont need to worry about what you eat just make sure you get about 200 grams of protein a day and around 4000-5000 kcals a day and you’ll start packing it right on.[/quote]

5000 calories for a kid who weighs 128 pounds??? I weigh 225 and don’t even need to consume 5000 calories. Well how many calories do you consume on average daily? What does your workout routine look like?

[quote]Wilmernuts wrote:

5000 calories for a kid who weighs 128 pounds??? I weigh 225 and don’t even need to consume 5000 calories. Well how many calories do you consume on average daily? What does your workout routine look like?[/quote]

Might be a tad high, but I think the point of his post was:
Eat like you’ve never ate before. Work like you’ve never worked before. Develop a good starting base to work out of.

I wouldn’t start at 5k a day, but if I was trying to add weight to a 128 pound body, I would definately start high. I’d aim for 2500-3k minimum with around 175-200g protein. I’d tweak the caloric intake based on the results.

yea, at 17 i was really skinny as well. dont worry about waht you eat so much, just eat a lot of it. at your age and apparent natural leaness, you’ll burn through most of it anyway. just work hard to insure you turn as much of it into muscle as possible.

thats not to say binge on junk food, but dont be afraid of dessert. at 128 pounds, you need all the calories you can get, at least for a while. the ‘cheat meal’ seems to be nessacesity for many people trying to bulk up.

everybody says “eat!”…but nobody mentions anything specific , which was part of the original post .

soooooooo…here goes !

eating dead animals is probably best…every day

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
everybody says “eat!”…but nobody mentions anything specific , which was part of the original post .

soooooooo…here goes !

eating dead animals is probably best…every day[/quote]

They are twice as many calories and grams of protein if you kill it yourself.

[quote]Achiever123 wrote:
Whats should i take to help me gain weight am only 17 an am truly not satisfied with my weight. Im only way 128 but i want to be bigger so what foods should i eat an how much a day u think? what should i do ?[/quote]

You have a frame primed and ready to start adding mass everywhere. Think of your body as one big muscle. Focus on it as a whole. I remember being horribly scrawny at 126. Smaller then you. Yet I told myself everyday I will not be limited by what people say or think. I will reach my goal regardless.

I think I speak for many when I say, what you wish to accomplish will not be real easy or something that happens in a couple weeks of work. Look at the bigger picture.

Eat consistently 4-6 meals/snacks and make up for it when you don’t. I suggest you keep a little baggy of some almonds, walnuts for snacking in school. Homemade beef jerky is good. Yet I assume you probably don’t have access to a lot of money for things. Sirloin or round ground beef, chicken, fish, eggs (I buy 660 mg omega eggs), potatoes (sweet preferably). Rice, darker the better. Oats if you can tolerate them. Most important thing is protein at every feeding. When mom makes potatoes and meatloaf eat big and ask for seconds.

If you feel like your behind on cals for the day, don’t hesitate to eat something calorie dense like pizza, hamburger after you workout preferably. It’s k as long as this doesn’t make up most of your diet.

Get on a good program like westside for skinny bastards or Rippetoes starting strength, both real good. I’d recommend rippetoe for a little bit.

I’d find a friend, who is small like you. Then you guys can push eachother in the gym. Above all make it fun and turn into a beast once you hit that gym.

Sample diet for you.
6 oz ground beef for breakfast. 2 oranges.

4oz beef jerky and half cup almonds during school

Lunch Eat whatever has reasonable amount of protein in it. Or bring a lunch to school. 6 oz meat and rice is good.

another snack
fish or chicken with some carbs if your feeling out of it. Otherwise 2 tbsp of olive oil.

After a workout just get whatever carbs you can. koolaid whatever.

if you have time, you can have some lean meat with potatoes after your workout, something with carbs.

before bed 4 eggs, 2 tbsp olive oil.

Starting around 3,000 calories sounds good, don’t get anal with macros and stuff. Use something called estimation to avoid headaches. If you’re not gaining, simply add another meal/snack. Or 2 more tbsp of olive oil.

Don’t worry about supplements now (spend allowance on real food) cause if you lack a decent amount of real food in your diet, shakes aren’t the best to base your diet off. They help. Do you need them? No.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
marlboroman wrote:

soooooooo…here goes !

eating dead animals is probably best…every day

They are twice as many calories and grams of protein if you kill it yourself.[/quote]

not to mention the added Test levels developed from chasing injured animals through the woods .all good stuff.

[quote]Billy Whizz wrote:
jerm wrote:
make sure you squat and work on your lower body with alot of emphasis, this will trigger your whole body to shift into growth mode. deadlift and squat religiously.

Spread the gospel.[/quote]

Amen

When I was 16-17 I weighed about 150 or so. I was, extremely active (soccer player at least something like 5 hours of physical activity a day between everything I did). Well anyways The point to all of this is I started taking a weight gainer back then and I guess because of my insane ammounts of cardio from soccer per day coupled with plyometrics and casual weight lifting (intense but misguided).

Moral of the story I put on weight like crazy 35 lbs in 2 - 2 1/2 months. then I stopped taking it and got back to a maitnence weight of 180, but I was still preforming as good as ever throughout this whole thing. I think this was due to my soccer schedule, without it I would have put on a lot of fat I’m sure. But I was taking in a shit load of calories everyday.

When I started bodybuilding I was 16 years old and 130lbs. I personally had to use a food log to gain my first 40lbs of bodyweight (otherwise I didn’t know if I was eating enough calories)

Calories are king, and the basic rule of thumb is… if it grows out of the ground or you can kill it, it is good clean bodybuilding food. But if you need extra stuff like milk/poptarts to reach your calorie total, it’s all fair game right now.

Make sure you’re making all your muscle groups stronger and busting your ass in the gym and it’s going to go to the right places.