T Nation

Trying to Gain Mass

im new to the forum just need some advice i am 46 and have lost some mass since my late 30s maybe my age is the factor i take protein multis fish oil creatine after training and jack 3d before training considering digestive enzymes,i follow the hardgainer principles from stuart mcrobert my workout is as follows monday squats,bench,chins,crunches and L flyes wednesday military ,bar curls ,close grip bench,shrugs, grip work ,crunches.friday deadlifts,dips,bent rows ,calf raises, rep ranges on exercises 1st set 6-10 2nd set 3-5 3rd set 11-15 .any advice on my training and supplements or food very much appreciated thanks milsy

How much do you eat?

James

To add to what James said, What is your height and weight? Where do you want to be? What % of your 1RM are you using? How consistent are you?

i am regular 3 days a week about 80% of 1rm im 5ft 10 inch an d weigh 95 kg would like to get back to 100k i eat about about 5 to 6 times a day plus protein shakes i havent counted the calories thanks milsy

What training did you do to get up to the original bodyweight, and for how many years? Did you follow a hardgainer program originally, and why follow it now? How long have you done the recent retraining? How strong are your basic lifts?

Sorry for all the questions, but if someone asks a broad question like "how do I gain weight", that needs a lot of info. Oh yes, and have you looked at the articles on the beginners forum?

i used to do 4 days a week training each bodypart twice and week more volume than now,cause im older thought doing 3 days a week would be better as with the hardgainer programs from stuart Mcrobert you mainy try to get stronger and dont overtrain and not high volume as i listed my workout in the forum mcrobert has written brawn and beyond brawn ive done this training style for about 3 years bench 110 kg for 6 reps,squat 100kg for 6reps just below parallel,deads 145kg for 6 reps.

As you said, you are on a program designed for strength not size. Unless you are a beginner, where pretty much anything will work, training 3 days a week with low volume is usually a long, slow road add much mass. Good for strength though.

If you have been doing this for 3 years without getting the results you are looking for, then I suggest doing the opposite - more training days per week (just manage intensity so you don't burn out), more volume, more food.

Overtraining is a non-issue if you manage volume, exercise selection, intensity and recovery. If you start to feel consistently burnt out (not just the occasional training day) then change one of those factors and re-evaluate.

I agree with Git. For years I followed a 'hardgainer' low volume routine and got almost nothing out of it. Only after packing on the reps and sets did I see any results. Eat lots of good food, mostly protein, get loads of sleep, and don't worry about overtraining.

As much as I appreciate people like Stuart McRobert who sympathize with hardgainers, low volume routines have just been useless for me.

to all the members who gave me advice its very much appreciated i will increase to 4 days a week this week and see how it works out and also increase volume its monday arvo 5pm will get down gym 6pm and start on the new schedule thanks everyone milsy

Given you current strength levels, you may be getting out of beginner's gains and going to intermediate, so don't be surprised if your body start responding a little differently than when you started.

Keep us posted - would love to see how things work out!

^^^^ x2 on this. I can completely commiserate.

When I first started lifting I decided I was a 'hardgainer' too. I don't know quite how I came to this conclusion. At that time it was either HIT or volume training and according to all the magazines you could only follow the volume 'bodybuilder' approach if you were juicing.

I wasn't so I chose HIT. Unfortunately I nailed my flag to the wrong mast and it took me a decade to realise my mistake. I did gain, but then plateaued. It was only when I quadrupled my frequency and volume and chucked training to failure in the crapper that I started to gain again. I now realise I never was a 'hardgainer', but I can't get those wasted years back.

Now I never listen to people who say 'this is too much' or 'that will lead to overtraining' or 'you can't squat and deadlift on the same day', I just try it for myself and find out if it works for me.

So I say, increase your volume and frequency and see what happens.

Good luck.

Boy, Brett, I feel your pain. In my case, a college roommate (who had muscles) handed me a Nautilus book and it was my downfall. Nautilus was practically an entire industry, with more books & articles & "scientific research". It didn't help that Mike Mentzer threw his support behind it - if a near Mr Olympia cheered it, it must be good.

Absolutely incredible how many people today still preach the "cut back" approach as solving all problems. Maybe it does in some very specific cases, but not as general policy. [/rant]