Trying to Find the Source of the Problem

You can re do the labs at 8AM.

I have an appointment for endo June 1… I’m hoping to find out the source of the prolactin being out of range.
My current question is, should I go ahead and start injecting TRT or wait to see what the endo says and fix the problem without having to go on TRT? Or will I probably need to do TRT regardless to get my T levels normal

@KSman
Had my Endo appointment on 6/1 and got labs done. I got a call from the office yesterday and was advised my prolactin was elevated at 27 and should be under 13. The Dr. wrote me a Rx for Cabergolin and advised for me to do an MRI on my pituitary. for some reason the Dr. advised for me to not start the caber until I get the MRI done. Dr. also checked by nuts and said they were normal volume and believes they are still working properly.

If the Caber lowers my prolactin will it be likely that my test will rise to a normal level or will I still need to go on TRT or do some kind of restart?

Your prolactin levels are high but tumors usually cause levels in the 100s and up. I had the same issue. I believe mine was caused by Lexapro as some SSRIs cause elevated prolactin. Since your levels are only borderline you may have some relieve with prolactin lowering meds. I would wait for the MRI to start anything. You could also run a clomid mono treatment if you want to stay away from Test replacement. For me, I decided to run test because it doesn’t scare me and the benefits versus lower T look good.

Im not worried about pinning TRT… I would just like to get normal levels without being stuck on a treatment for life… If you do a run of clomid is that just a cycle or are you basically o it indefinitely like trt?

TRT is usually a lifetime commitment. T injections won’t fix your problem only the symptoms. Clomid only can be a temp medicine to restart your system.

@KSman
Hey I just got my t-4 lab results back and it came back as .87 ng/dl with range being .61-1.24 Is that an on range? Or what do you think btw my prolactin was 27 with 13 being top of the range for men

fT4 is better. Midrange is .61+1.24/2=1.85/2=.925. 0.87 is a bit below that. Not horrible. Your body temperatures are determined by fT3 levels that increase body temperatures by upregulation of mitochondrial metabolism and rT3 can interfere with that.

You had fT4, fT3 labs earlier, why T4 now? T4 is not telling us anything that we did not already know.

We know that you were iodine deficient. What have you done about that so far?

Yes you need caber. Do the MRI first so it can be imaged before caber causes it to shrink. The MRI may show something interesting, but sometimes the problem is not visible. Will this change LG/FSH and T status? Cannot be predicted.

Prolactin can be released by orgasm and cuddling puppies and babies. This can effect labs. Conventional advice is to wait 28 hours after sexual activity. The data on drugs increasing prolactin is sparse and of course incomplete.

https://www.google.com/search?q=drugs+that+increase+prolactin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

@KSman
Im not sure why he ordered Free T-4 tested. It looks like the only two things he tested on me on the bloods were Free T-4 and Prolactin. I go Next week for my MRI and will start Caber immediately after. As for the ID I did the iodine replenishment for two weeks and that was about a month ago. My body temps since then have been getting up to 98.6 during the day. The endo seems to think my test problems are being caused by the elevated prolactin levels. If he dosnt give me Rx for hcg or clomid, I think I might get access to that and do it on my own to try to kick start my test production.

Glad to here that your body temperatures have improved. Do you have improved energy.

If endo is right, you might not need hCG or clomid, so give that a chance.

@KSman
I got the results of my MRI today. The Dr’s nurse called and said I have a 2mm Pituitary adenoma. They told me to start taking the caber and to come back to the Dr in September for another set of bloods (I guess to check prolactin).

With that being figured out what should I do in regards to test? My Dr didn’t seem to concerned about my test and seemed to think that fixing the prolactin will cause my test to raise back to normal on its own.

Should I wait to see with blood work in sept? Or should I go ahead and find a source for clomid or something and self med?

anyone with some insight or knowledge on the above post?

Just started week 2 of Caber. I have been feeling pretty tired/out of it. Is there anyway to overcome that side eff of the caber? Also, I have no idea if I should do a HPTA restart or if I should just wait it out and see if the caber fixes things. I just wonder if I jumped on nolva or something and got test up if it would help with feeling tired.

Interesting. That is one small adenoma! How do they know it is definitely a prolactin secreting adenoma? Because just incase it isn’t the cabergoline may not be affective.

But then again, your cortisol levels are normal so it can’t be a cortisol secreting adenoma.

I believe I have this too, I’m waiting on MRI results tomorrow. I have a question, did they see the adenoma as soon as you did your MRI?

I ask because when I did mine, the doc who did it came back in less than a minute and said it all looks fine. And I said even the pituitary? And he said yes but we need to zoom in to the different layers. So obviously say if one was as small as 2mm it would need a closer look. Did the endocrinologist analyse the MRI for you?

Good luck man. Once the prolactin normalises and the tumour shrinks your T should ramp up fairly fast. Please write here if you decide to run Nolva/Clomid as its something I’m interested in, as my FSH and LH levels are a tad lower than yours which tells me my pituitary isn’t signalling my balls to make the test enough.

Did they do the MRI with the dye injected in you? They didn’t go over the MRI with me an only contacted me several days later to inform me. I’m thinking about doing a Nolva/Clomid restart but am unsure because I go back to the Dr in Sept and might wait to see what he says after bloods. I’ve been on caber for about a month now and havnt felt much different. I have a feeling both my test and e2 are still low.

Well, got bloodwork for my endo appointment on Wednesday. The ONLYTHING they checked was prolactin as ordered by the Endo. I thought they were going to check my test too. But, it seems my endo is only concerned about the prolactin levels. I’ve been on caber since June and my prolactin levels came back at 3.8 ng/ml this time which is good.

My prolactin was 26.8ng/ml back in june before he put me on the caber due to a small growth on my pituitary.

with that being said I feel no different and still feel like my test is low (so was my e2). Should I start looking for a new endo due to the fact that this one aint looking at the big picture? Or should I just wait it out to see?

It is a new ball game and you need to test the other hormones. You can ask your GP or order labs privately and pay out-of-pocket.

Ok just got back from endo… basically he’s only worried about prolactin and was suprised im not feeling better from it being lower.
I asked about my testosterone and he said he wasn’t worried about it being in the 300s and said it is ok…
so at this point I am going to try a clomid restart.
I’m thinking doing 25 clomid EOD for six weeks and then tapering off the dose after that. Is that a good protocol?
Also where can I get legit clomid online?

And I know I need to get blood work done before starting so what all do I need to keep track of other than TT, FT and e2? And what’s a good cheap place to get those labs done?

Started 25mg clomid EOD on Monday. Today is Thursday. I haven’t felt anything yet other than last night when I went to bed I was freezing and then throughout the night I slept terrible and woke up absolutely burning up.

Today Ive been checking my body temp periodically throughout the day and my body temp has consistently been 99-100.

Would clomid cause that? don’t necessarily feel like I have a fever, only when I was trying to sleep. Should I lower the dose of my clomid to .12.5 mg EOD? or should I give it longer and get bloods at the 3 week mark?

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • HPTA restart
  • finding a TRT doc

Sometimes people on TRT get sick.
Some people feel sick on clomid, but not Nolvadex.