T Nation

Trying to Find a REAL Gym in Singapore

My rents are moving to Singapore so there is a big chance I’ll have to spend my university holidays away over there. Last time I was there I was able to use my brother’s membership to the American and Tanglin Club but they both sucked. More health clubs than anything, no platforms/squat racks/safety pegs/dipping belts/not enough weights/barbells.

Does anyone actually know of any REAL gyms in Singapore where I can at least Squat in a cage and Deadlift/Clean on a platform?! And obviously wouldn’t mind chalk etc.

Info would be much appreciated as most likely would have to spend a few months there each year and don’t want to imagine not going to a real gym again.

Cheers

Here’s some info I got from marunde-muscle so it’s more strongman focused, but sounds like what you need. Hope this helps.

Singapore

• Optimum Performance(probably the best place on the tiny island for your gym training)

OL friendly,bumper plates,sled,550lb tire,bands,5 power racks,full range of kettlebells,DBs of up to 155lb.

http://www.optimumperformance.com.sg/

• The Behemoths’ Lair(for your events training outdoors and yours truly (Ben_Ho) is the owner)

12’ log,double sled,plate loadable farmers(up to a max of 260lb per hand for now,but we are looking into getting more plates),stones trainer,bumper plates.

A yoke is in the works…

[quote]ThatDudeOrion wrote:
Here’s some info I got from marunde-muscle so it’s more strongman focused, but sounds like what you need. Hope this helps.

Singapore

• Optimum Performance(probably the best place on the tiny island for your gym training)

OL friendly,bumper plates,sled,550lb tire,bands,5 power racks,full range of kettlebells,DBs of up to 155lb.

http://www.optimumperformance.com.sg/

• The Behemoths’ Lair(for your events training outdoors and yours truly (Ben_Ho) is the owner)

12’ log,double sled,plate loadable farmers(up to a max of 260lb per hand for now,but we are looking into getting more plates),stones trainer,bumper plates.

A yoke is in the works… [/quote]

Thanks for your post is much appreciated!! Optimum performance sounds good, unfortunate for some reason I can’t open the website. Will try both places when I’m over, Strongman training looks like a lot of fun and must be a great workout, is it really outdoors?! That’s going to be tough in tropical heat of Singapore I sweat a bucket exercising outdoors in the UK!

Hey,

If you want to train at a commercial shiny gym with lots of fashionista skinny men, you can check out the california fitness gyms- they have lots of weights, racks, hammer strength machines and dumbbells up to 150 lbs. Not sure how much they charge for a monthly membership.

Another option is this guy:
http://www.coachjon.com/

Jon runs a training facility, not at all a commercial gym business model, so he charges for training to use his gym. You ought to give him a call or email, he’s pretty good about replying quickly and will give you a straight up answer. Don’t think he’s cheap, but he really does know what he’s talking about.

The facility has sleds, racks, stands, tons of weight, bumper plates, different bars, bands, kettle and dumb bells, chalk stands, etc etc… It is pretty awesome.

Best sports council gym I’ve been to was the Tampines SSC gym. No bumper plates, but oly lifting is usually accepted (only one PT has given me shit thus far). Your usual machines, nothing too fancy. A squat cage, incline and flat bench, Db’s up to 26kg, or around 57lbs. I hear good things about the one in Jurong West as well.

The SSC gyms won’t hold a candle to the Cali fitness ones, but they’re much cheaper, S$2.50 per entry. Beware though, they don’t qualify as ‘REAL’ gyms, but some of them can be pretty accommodating.

I usually train at my college’s gym (the NIE sports school gym on the NTU campus). It’s technically for students and staff, but anyone can use it really. If you’re living in the area, you could check it out, though it is ‘out of the way’ being on a college campus.

They have 5 Oly bars, shitload of plates, one set of bumper plates, DBs up to 30kg, 66lbs, power cage, incline and flat benches, cables and the usual machines. Usually enough space to get a pretty good workout, and no PTs or staff on duty.

http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corporate/en/participation/hotspot/sports_facility/gymnasiums.html

I am Ben and I am the co-owner of the Behemoth’s Lair.

Check out our blog http://teamironbehemoths.blogspot.com/

Our training crew was featured in August 09 issue of Powerlifting USA.

We have practically everything needed for strongman-yoke,farmers,sandbags,tires,sleds,Prowler,log,thick handled DB etc. Beside our bread and butter strongman toys and the usual bar and plates, we have also accessories such as chains, bands, KBs, ab wheel, power wheel, foam rollers etc.

If you wanna train in the lush greenery of a park smack in downtown Singapore,this is the place to be.(as you can see from the pics)

Optimum Performance is history by the way(since Aug 08)

Do drop me a message when you’re here,bro. =)

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
I am Ben and I am the co-owner of the Behemoth’s Lair.

Check out our blog http://teamironbehemoths.blogspot.com/

Our training crew was featured in August 09 issue of Powerlifting USA.

We have practically everything needed for strongman-yoke,farmers,sandbags,tires,sleds,Prowler,log,thick handled DB etc. Beside our bread and butter strongman toys and the usual bar and plates, we have also accessories such as chains, bands, KBs, ab wheel, power wheel, foam rollers etc.

If you wanna train in the lush greenery of a park smack in downtown Singapore,this is the place to be.(as you can see from the pics)

Optimum Performance is history by the way(since Aug 08)

Do drop me a message when you’re here,bro. =)

[/quote]

Sorry I completely forgot about this thread and wasn’t notified about the replies. Turns out I am going to be back in the tropics (26th december until the 9th of january). Will be staying near Clarke Quay so anything close by is a bonus. The strongman toys look really appealing would be great to try something different for a change. What times are your training sessions throughout the week and I suppose its just a pay as you come basis (since I’m only in town for 2 weeks)

Trent

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Best sports council gym I’ve been to was the Tampines SSC gym. No bumper plates, but oly lifting is usually accepted (only one PT has given me shit thus far). Your usual machines, nothing too fancy. A squat cage, incline and flat bench, Db’s up to 26kg, or around 57lbs. I hear good things about the one in Jurong West as well.

The SSC gyms won’t hold a candle to the Cali fitness ones, but they’re much cheaper, S$2.50 per entry. Beware though, they don’t qualify as ‘REAL’ gyms, but some of them can be pretty accommodating.

I usually train at my college’s gym (the NIE sports school gym on the NTU campus). It’s technically for students and staff, but anyone can use it really. If you’re living in the area, you could check it out, though it is ‘out of the way’ being on a college campus.

They have 5 Oly bars, shitload of plates, one set of bumper plates, DBs up to 30kg, 66lbs, power cage, incline and flat benches, cables and the usual machines. Usually enough space to get a pretty good workout, and no PTs or staff on duty.

http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corporate/en/participation/hotspot/sports_facility/gymnasiums.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, T-Nation didn’t notify me of any replies so just read them now. I google mapped all of the gym you linked me, unfortunately quite a lot of them are a bit out for me (staying off mohammed sultan rd). The Delta ClubFITT gym is less than 10 minutes away so I might give that a bash at somepoint. Any idea on what it’s like? I presume it’s similar to the other ClubFITT gyms in terms of equipment?

I used to travel there 6-8 years ago. ONe of the hotels I stayed at had an onsite gym that was not limited to hotel guests. It was either the Conrad in the City Center or the Hyatt on Orchard Road if memory serves.

ClubFITT gyms vary in terms of facilities, and I haven’t been to Delta so I couldn’t say.
If it sucks, and it could, I say shell out the extra for the Orchard California Fitness.

http://www.californiafitness.com/club.jsp?country=sg〈=en&dtype=orchard

I haven’t been there in a while, but last I heard they’re pretty well equipped (not sure about the platform).

I stay both near Delta Clubfitt and my own facility. I usually train at my own Behemoths’ Lair but I train at Delta once in a blue moon(just to have a change of training environment)

There is a squat rack but it is hardly used(I guess this is common throughout the world),heaviest dumbbell is only 30kg. Heavy deadlifting is frowned upon as there is some kinda dance studio on the floor below Delta gym and people there have complained about the noise before.

Plus point is you pay S$2.50 (only 1.1 pound!)per entry.