Trying to Establish an Effective Routine

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I’m sure there has been half a million of these threads before, but since everyone starts out lifting with a different level of fitness and with different goals in mind, i feel that maybe it isn’t so bad to start another one.

Current stats:

Height: 5ft. 8’
Weight: 170lbs ish
Body fat: no idea

First of all, i don’t have access to a gym, but i do have two adjustable ironmaster dumbells (up to 75lbs each) and a bench.
My routine is pretty light at the moment, to say the least. This is mostly because i’m new and hardly have a clue about what routine would be most appropriate for my goals.
Right now i’m basically targeting the arms every three days with these exercises:

Side Raise: 15lb each arm, 10 Reps, 3 sets
Shoulder Press: 30lb each arm, 10 Reps, 3 sets
Arm Curl: 30lb , 10reps, 3 sets per arm
Incline Bench Press: 40lb each arm, 10reps, 3 sets

I pretty much reach failure with the last rep of each set (feel free to tell me if that’s disgracefully weak, or just average).

I also do yard work about an hour a day, and climb a 100ft tall ladder up to six times per day ( job related)

Goals:

• Over all larger and stronger upper body and arms
  • Stronger torso
  • Loose the stomach fat
  • Slimmer, yet stronger and more balanced* legs
    * I was avid cyclist from childhood up until a few years ago, but have stopped for now because my hip flexors and quads were becoming more developed, dominant, and tight compared to my hamstrings and glutes which were becoming the opposite. This sort of started to become problem in terms of biomechanics.
    -Better posture

Diet:

100% clean. No alcohol, processed foods, refined sugar, etc.
For breakfast i’ll usually slice up and bake a medium potato, and have it with an avocado. Then a bowl of sprouted grain cereal with 2% fat goat milk. Maybe i’ll have some greek yogurt as well if i’m still hungry.
For my main meal of the day, i cook a huge skillet full of veg chili or lentil curry, with lots of spices and have that through out the day with brown rice or quinoa and some dairy product like cottage cheese.

Snacks:
4 large free range eggs
a can of salmon
half a chicken breast.
almond butter
an Orange or some other fruit

Supplements:
L-Glutamine x 1tsp
Whey isolate x 1 scoop
Hemp protein x 1scoop
Harmonized vegan protein x 1 scoop

I don’t weight food, or count calories. Right now I just eat high protein foods until i’m full.

I would appreciate constructive criticism, advice, or anything to help establish an effective routine.

Thanks

Photos:

Well, you’ve come to the right place.

Start here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/are_you_a_beginner_ii

After you read that, try to make a plan based on what you read, and then post more Qs.

Good luck.

[quote]RFairweather wrote:
First of all, i don’t have access to a gym, but i do have two adjustable ironmaster dumbells (up to 75lbs each) and a bench.[/quote]
I’d consider picking up an Iron Gym doorway pull-up bar. It’s like $20-30 at Target or Walmart, doesn’t have to be screwed into the doorframe, and will give you a few more exercise options. Also, a jump rope is always a good at-home cardio option if you have the room to skip and not hit the ceiling or furniture.

Yeah, no, cut that out.

Look into complexes as one way to get the most out of limited equipment:

Bodyweight exercises (push-ups, lunges, step-ups) are also going to be key to getting a decent program together. Farmer’s walk variations (regular farmer’s, overhead, rack position, etc.) are another great way to finish off a session:

[quote]Goals:

• Over all larger and stronger upper body and arms
  • Stronger torso
  • Slimmer, yet stronger and more balanced* legs[/quote]
    A good training program and enough daily protein (ballpark 1 gram/pound of bodyweight) will help. Regarding your leg issue, plenty of deadlift variations (like Romanian deads and 1-leg versions) should help to sort things out.

Nutrition will be key for this. It seems like you have a decent general template, but can an eye out for possible tweaks.

Posture is the byproduct of habit, not training. You’ll do more to correct this with conscious effort through the day than with training. Some training might help, but the best cue during the day is to walk like you’re wearing a cape, so it can flow majestically behind you. Also, of course, sit up straight.

[quote]For breakfast i’ll usually slice up and bake a medium potato, and have it with an avocado. Then a bowl of sprouted grain cereal with 2% fat goat milk. Maybe i’ll have some greek yogurt as well if i’m still hungry.
For my main meal of the day, i cook a huge skillet full of veg chili or lentil curry, with lots of spices and have that through out the day with brown rice or quinoa and some dairy product like cottage cheese.[/quote]
I didn’t run the numbers, but this could be a bit carb-heavy depending on portion sizes. Simply scaling back a little on total daily carb intake is the easiest way to nudge yourself into fat loss mode. Monitor bodyweight weekly and make adjustments as needed.

[quote]Supplements:
L-Glutamine x 1tsp
Whey isolate x 1 scoop
Hemp protein x 1scoop
Harmonized vegan protein x 1 scoop[/quote]
What does glutamine do for you? Why are you using three different kinds of protein powder?