Trying to Bulk

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]Rj25 wrote:

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
The best I’ve found is switching from 5x5 to 3x3 and 3x10 is pretty effective. [/quote]

Good strategy. You’re in good shape -so don’t make any drastic changes, 5/3/1 is something to look into and is similar to what you posted.

Also as Reed suggested have the occasional cheat meal. Note Joe Defranco’s advice…

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/roundtable_the_cure_for_skinny
[/quote]
Thanks for the link! It was really good advice. I think I need to force feed myself more. What would you guys recommend before sleep?

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]Rj25 wrote:

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
The best I’ve found is switching from 5x5 to 3x3 and 3x10 is pretty effective. [/quote]

Good strategy. You’re in good shape -so don’t make any drastic changes, 5/3/1 is something to look into and is similar to what you posted.

Also as Reed suggested have the occasional cheat meal. Note Joe Defranco’s advice…

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/roundtable_the_cure_for_skinny
[/quote]
YESSS for everyone like me that’s skinny as shit go to page 4 of this and read the Hour of Power, slice your skull open with a steak knife and brand that shit in your brain

[quote]Rj25 wrote:

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
Don’t follow a random program that some guy on the internet (with only 8 posts- we don’t know him yet) suggests.
For real progress, choose one of the tried and tested programs from one of the many experts on this site. Look through the articles, there are many that fit your goals.[/quote]
Well it’s worth a shot its something different. I’ve been experimenting with different routines since I was 14. The best I’ve found is switching from 5x5 to 3x3 and 3x10 is pretty effective. Not one person is the same and everybody reacts differently but thanks for the advice mayne[/quote]

I’m gonna have to disagree with you there, man. Just because it’s different, doesn’t mean that it’s worth a shot. There are more different programs in existence than you could ever complete in your life. I could make one right now and add to that number.

The best thing to do is to use programs that ‘will’ work, so as to use your time most efficiently and progress as much as possible (especially at your current age- a golden period for growth- I should know- we’re in the same age group :wink: ).

A little something I like to remember is that you only have 20-30 awesome training years in your life (honestly, your strength generally peaks and begins to decline long before that)- so don’t waste the time you do have :wink: .

Also, bbb (forgot the rest of the username), I’m not necessarily knocking your program, I’m just saying that the OP would probably be better off taking something proven, and from a well known coach.

Oh, one last thing. This is assuming that maximum progress is your goal. If it isn’t… Do whatever makes you happy.

[quote]Rj25 wrote:

[quote]bbbb1234 wrote:
This is just my adaptation of german volume training (a tried and true bodybuilding method). I wouldn’t follow it for more than a month because the volume is so high, but you will see results from it. I kind of combined german volume training with a Vince Gironda style workout. There are many great workout on this and other sites (along with a lot of bad ones). The purpose of this workout is to break a plateau and shock your muscles with a lot of volume.

If you decide to give this workout a try, let me know how it goes![/quote]

Well I joined this forum for additional input and more methods of training so thank you, I will definitely let you know if I start the routine. [/quote]

Also you should add in 3x8 chest flies and 3x8 db rows after the benching and pullups. Sorry, I forgot to type that in.

Looking good man, good symmetry and muscle shape. You are definitely on the right track and have a good mindset.

Something along the lines of this would help push you in the right direction.

Chest:

Bench Press- 4 sets 10,8,6,4
Incline Bench (DB or BB)- 4x8-12
Cable Flyes- 4x12 on the middle adjustment, 4X12 on bottom adjustment

Back:

Lat Pull Downs- 4x12 wide grip then 4x12 close grip
One Arm DB Rows- 4x8-12
Seated Cable Rows 4x8-12
Deadlift- 5x5

Shoulders:

Overhead Press (DB or BB)- 4x8-12
Shrugs- 3x8-12 Throw in a burner (as many reps as possible) if you’re feeling up to it. Traps respond well to high volume.
Lateral Raises- 4x8-12
Front Raises (DB or BB)- 4x8-12
Rear Delt Raises 4x12

Arms:

Biceps:
DB Curls 4x8-12
Seated Incline Curls 4x8-12
Cable Curls- 4x12

Triceps:
Skull Crushers- 4x8-12
Rope Pull Downs- 5x12
Close Grip Bench- 4x8-12

Legs:

Squats- 5x6-12
Leg Curls- 4x8-12
Hamstring Curls- 8-12
Leg Press- 4x12
Calf raisesx3x20

It’s not anything fancy, just a generic Body Building split that I use and I think it’s a pretty decent split both for beginners and intermediate lifters.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
Looking good man, good symmetry and muscle shape. You are definitely on the right track and have a good mindset.

Something along the lines of this would help push you in the right direction.

Chest:

Bench Press- 4 sets 10,8,6,4
Incline Bench (DB or BB)- 4x8-12
Cable Flyes- 4x12 on the middle adjustment, 4X12 on bottom adjustment

Back:

Lat Pull Downs- 4x12 wide grip then 4x12 close grip
One Arm DB Rows- 4x8-12
Seated Cable Rows 4x8-12
Deadlift- 5x5

Shoulders:

Overhead Press (DB or BB)- 4x8-12
Shrugs- 3x8-12 Throw in a burner (as many reps as possible) if you’re feeling up to it. Traps respond well to high volume.
Lateral Raises- 4x8-12
Front Raises (DB or BB)- 4x8-12
Rear Delt Raises 4x12

Arms:

Biceps:
DB Curls 4x8-12
Seated Incline Curls 4x8-12
Cable Curls- 4x12

Triceps:
Skull Crushers- 4x8-12
Rope Pull Downs- 5x12
Close Grip Bench- 4x8-12

Legs:

Squats- 5x6-12
Leg Curls- 4x8-12
Hamstring Curls- 8-12
Leg Press- 4x12
Calf raisesx3x20

It’s not anything fancy, just a generic Body Building split that I use and I think it’s a pretty decent split both for beginners and intermediate lifters.[/quote]
Thanks brother! All the input has been awesome

No problem man.

Nutrition wise…

-Get protein in at every meal.
-Eat a little bit more gradually, don’t overdo it.
-It’s okay to lose abs but don’t get fat, those fat cells stay with you forever.
-When in doubt drink a protein shake…if you catch yourself thinking “HMM did i eat enough protein today?” Mix up a shake and down it.
-If you’re hungry, eat…even if it’s an unreal amount of food.
-If you’re not so hungry, take it easy on the face stuffing (except on your protein intake, keep that the same). Just don’t let it happen too often, you are bulking after all.

Other tips…

-Don’t be too hard on yourself.
-If you feel like working out 2 hours, do it and don’t worry about overtraining.
-If you feel like doing one lift and then going home, go ahead…just don’t make it a habit.

That’s basically how I look at things now. Being too exact can burn you out and you might lose interest, it’s about making a plan you can stick to for the long run and enjoying it.

Good luck!

I would go with what bbbb suggested.

If he had reposted in this thread he might have mentioned that he got that program from the germans. Specifically called German Volume Training. German Volume training is brutally effective.

also: The Return of German Volume Training

Almost up to 160. Still eating clean and growing here’s some progress pics

Here’s another

Looking good dude. The pose and angle of the back shot is a little different from the first one but it definitely looks like you’ve gained some width. Nice wheels too. How have you been training in the months since you last posted?

[quote]Tommy28 wrote:
Looking good dude. The pose and angle of the back shot is a little different from the first one but it definitely looks like you’ve gained some width. Nice wheels too. How have you been training in the months since you last posted?[/quote]

4 or so months between the last pictures. I’m about to post the new ones

From 145 to 160

Progress from 10 months ago until now

Awesome work… definitely shows. 15 lbs gain in 10 months while staying that lean as a natural is crazy.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Awesome work… definitely shows. 15 lbs gain in 10 months while staying that lean as a natural is crazy.[/quote]

I’ve worked so hard especially after a nasty breakup with my ex, I wanted to do nothing but be in the gym and just eat. I don’t go out and drink like most of my friends but rather I go to the gym instead and focus on my school work. Having a steady routine and training 6-7 days a week have really showed me great results.

More updates:
finishing 5x5 squat: 315
Bench 5x5: 225
Current weight: 160 lbs

You look great. Excellent job man!

Keep it up. And keep updating. Would love to see how you look with 25 more lbs on your frame.