Trying to Bulk; Still Hungry

[quote]young n wrote:
my bad i worded it wrong, i know you aint trying to say that, but now a days alot of people just “let go” and bulk, by that i mean they eat anything that comes their way, like the OP stated he had whoppers or wome kind of fast food, i mean some people just say that “o im bulking, so its ok for me to gain some fat” but they usually dont realize that that is just an excuse they make for say getting big, im just saying that if a person is to bulk then they should please do a clean bulk, and when a person is getting the proper and clean foods they will probably dont feel as hungary
[/quote]

Dude, I have personally seen an NPC bodybuilder inhale more weight in burgers than I usually carry in my back pack. You eat in whatever way gets enough calories in to make the most progress. I wish the word “clean” was never used again in relation to diet because it has no specific meaning.

Do you really think that some guy who weighs over 250lbs, who eats 6-8 times a day, is in the process of trying to gain a lot more muscle mass and who clearly has the muscle to set them apart from most lifters in most gyms…needs to worry about whether they ate 5 hamburgers this week?

Think about that slowly.

One week.

7 days.

Let’s assume at least 6 meals a day.

That’s 42 meals.

5 meals from 42 is about 12% of the total meals eaten that week.

Are you saying that even though similar eating habits have resulted in me gaining a lot of muscle…that is somehow now wrong because you think people should “clean bulk”…whatever that means as long as they never eat a Whopper?

Check this, if the guys eating the 5 Whoppers a week has passed you up in terms of development by miles, maybe his method needs to stay exactly like it is.

In fact, I will go as far as to say that the guys this damned worried about a Whopper when they aren’t even dieting…won’t ever have to worry about wearing a XXL t-shirt because your arms and chest won’t fit in anything smaller.

I don’t even see how some of you enjoy this LONG TERM if you are eating like contest ready bodybuilder 24/7.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]young n wrote:
my bad i worded it wrong, i know you aint trying to say that, but now a days alot of people just “let go” and bulk, by that i mean they eat anything that comes their way, like the OP stated he had whoppers or wome kind of fast food, i mean some people just say that “o im bulking, so its ok for me to gain some fat” but they usually dont realize that that is just an excuse they make for say getting big, im just saying that if a person is to bulk then they should please do a clean bulk, and when a person is getting the proper and clean foods they will probably dont feel as hungary
[/quote]

Dude, I have personally seen an NPC bodybuilder inhale more weight in burgers than I usually carry in my back pack. You eat in whatever way gets enough calories in to make the most progress. I wish the word “clean” was never used again in relation to diet because it has no specific meaning.

Do you really think that some guy who weighs over 250lbs, who eats 6-8 times a day, is in the process of trying to gain a lot more muscle mass and who clearly has the muscle to set them apart from most lifters in most gyms…needs to worry about whether they ate 5 hamburgers this week?

Think about that slowly.

One week.

7 days.

Let’s assume at least 6 meals a day.

That’s 42 meals.

5 meals from 42 is about 12% of the total meals eaten that week.

Are you saying that even though similar eating habits have resulted in me gaining a lot of muscle…that is somehow now wrong because you think people should “clean bulk”…whatever that means as long as they never eat a Whopper?

Check this, if the guys eating the 5 Whoppers a week has passed you up in terms of development by miles, maybe his method needs to stay exactly like it is.

In fact, I will go as far as to say that the guys this damned worried about a Whopper when they aren’t even dieting…won’t ever have to worry about wearing a XXL t-shirt because your arms and chest won’t fit in anything smaller.

I don’t even see how some of you enjoy this LONG TERM if you are eating like contest ready bodybuilder 24/7.[/quote]

I agree with this completely. I usually eat double or triple hamburgers 1-3 times a week and/or pizza and dont really see it as a “cheat meal”. This doesnt mean that I eat shit all day, but usually after a workout I might get something considered by most to be dirty bulking food, but I have had much more success going at it this way opposed to watching my carbs, eating brocolli and chikcen all day and cutting carbs after 6 P.M. A lot of it comes down to your goals. Do you want to be as big as you possible can or do you just want to have a six pack and look like you dont lift in a t-shirt. Its not this cut and dry, but I use it as an example.

Again everyone is different but bodybuilding hasnt changed that much over the years and neither should our strategies.

[quote]nschneid wrote:
So, i’ve upped my calories quite a bit. I’m getting 3500 minimum every day, even on light days, 4k maximum unless I eat out. The more I eat, the hungrier I get it seems.

How do you interpret this hunger? Does my body need more food? Should I ignore it and just rigidly count my calories and see how much weight and BF% I gain weekly? I’m trying to gain w/o seeing my BF go too high but I don’t want to stall any gains I could make by not eating enough.

This is the first time I’ve tried intentionally putting on weight. I guess i don’t really know by BMR, but i’m 16% BF and 210-215 right now (if that helps). I’m kind of keeping track of my calories in my head… I have 6 planned feedings consisting of 500 calories (minimum) each with a PWO shake on workout days and I’ve been throwing in a snickers or something when I get pretty hungry between meals, or some peanut butter at home (I snack AT LEAST 2x/day, or make a feeding or two bigger to intentionally to hit 3500).

If I eat out, that takes the place of a feeding, but I stay on track with the rest of the feedings. I never thought I’d be able to eat a tripple whopper w/ cheese and then be hungry again a few hours later but I am. This BBB is no joke.

So bottom line: eat more when I’m hungry, even if I end up topping 4-5k? Or if I let my appetite be the driver, will I end up looking like Oprah? (I do not have a problem overeating. I rather enjoy it.)[/quote]

BMR isn’t the be-all and end-all. It’s a guide, rather than a rigid structure to be adhered to. If your BMR result says 3500 cals, I’d take that as the minimum you need to eat in order to grow. I’m sure if you polled all the bigger guys on this site about what their exact daily calorific intake was, most of them would say “Dunno. I just eat what my body tells me I need”. They will likely have a rough idea, but they will also likely not be rushing to the toilet to throw up if they accidentally ate 200 cals more than their BMR tells them to do. The people who are scrutinising every calorie, every macro and every rep are probably gonna be the smaller guys. The people who are reacting to their own bodies, through trial and error, are the ones who have the most to show for it.

So I say- EAT!!! ;o)

[quote]nschneid wrote:
So, i’ve upped my calories quite a bit. I’m getting 3500 minimum every day, even on light days, 4k maximum unless I eat out. The more I eat, the hungrier I get it seems.

How do you interpret this hunger? Does my body need more food? Should I ignore it and just rigidly count my calories and see how much weight and BF% I gain weekly? I’m trying to gain w/o seeing my BF go too high but I don’t want to stall any gains I could make by not eating enough.

This is the first time I’ve tried intentionally putting on weight. I guess i don’t really know by BMR, but i’m 16% BF and 210-215 right now (if that helps). I’m kind of keeping track of my calories in my head… I have 6 planned feedings consisting of 500 calories (minimum) each with a PWO shake on workout days and I’ve been throwing in a snickers or something when I get pretty hungry between meals, or some peanut butter at home (I snack AT LEAST 2x/day, or make a feeding or two bigger to intentionally to hit 3500).

If I eat out, that takes the place of a feeding, but I stay on track with the rest of the feedings. I never thought I’d be able to eat a tripple whopper w/ cheese and then be hungry again a few hours later but I am. This BBB is no joke.

So bottom line: eat more when I’m hungry, even if I end up topping 4-5k? Or if I let my appetite be the driver, will I end up looking like Oprah? (I do not have a problem overeating. I rather enjoy it.)[/quote]

It’s really how the body responds that matters. It also depends on what you’re comfortable with. If the gains in weight are at a decent ratio like over 50% muscle, then I’d ride with your appetite. If not, then “temper/moderate” your appetite. If you gain fat relatively easily then you’d probably be best going “easy” on the hunger. Also, I wouldn’t overdo the carbs when hungry especially not in the evening.

Like Bonez alluded to, it’s hard to define what clean is. At the end of the day, as long as you aren’t over/underdoing total calories and your macro-nutrient ratios aren’t screwed up (e.g. not enough protein, too much carbs), then you’ll make good progress…

This thread here is a good one to easily track your progress if you don’t have calipers:

To cut a long thread short, the basic “rule of thumb” is that for every inch you gain on the stomach, you’ll be gaining between 5-10lbs on the scale. If you haven’t gained 5lbs or more and you’ve gained an inch around the stomach, something’s probably not right. This “test” would be better done after several weeks (due to some periods simply being bloat etc). Obviously, this isn’t exactly a scientifically tested method, but it’s a good start.

Oh, and you are so lucky to have those genetics :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like you’ll get to your goals in no time…

I have the same/exact opposite thing…I wonder if this just my metabolism working so I get hungry faster?

If I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack - 6 meals…1.5g’s protein per lb. bodyweight, and eonugh carbs/fats to balance things out…works out to around 3500-4000 cals I AM HUNGRY all the time…no matter what…I will eat and 2 hours later I can eat again.

But if I skip breakfast…have one big meal at lunch time…I can survive off of that all day and not feel hungry?

very weird…if I eat 1-2 meals I can last all day…the more I eat the hungrier I eventually get…what’s up with that?

I blame a lot of this bulking “clean” propaganda on those stupid articles you see floating around the web…they always say something along the lines of bulking not being an excuse to eat “unhealthily”. And they’ll always have their warped view of what “unhealthy” is.

I’m certain it’s just female vegans who write them:

“don’t eat beef…ewww! That’s just gross”

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

Looks like you’ll get to your goals in no time…[/quote]

As long as I keep busting tail in the gym yeah. Except for that last part of the goal… actually seeing my work. I’ve never had BF% much lower than it is right now.

[quote]nschneid wrote:

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

Looks like you’ll get to your goals in no time…[/quote]

As long as I keep busting tail in the gym yeah. Except for that last part of the goal… actually seeing my work. I’ve never had BF% much lower than it is right now.[/quote]

When you see gains pretty fast like it looks like you will have (with a decent appetite), then motivation for “busting tail in the gym” will be high.

The dieting part will be less “daunting” and much more straight forward once you’ve done it a few times in the future.

Knowing what to expect is sometimes half the journey. Once you’ve travelled a path a few times, you’re in control and you know exactly what to do, just like tweaking buttons to get what you want.

[quote]nschneid wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I noticed that when I’m eating alot and still hungry, my strength skyrockets. I love the feeling and without fail, strength/size gains have always coincided with this hunger during a bulk. Personally, I would feed the hunger with a good protein source (aka bigger servings of meat).[/quote]

I already eat 6 chicken breasts every day. How much protien can I really use in a day? The reason I ask is not because I don’t want more meat but that meat/protien sources are THE MOST expensive food that I buy as a staple. Throwing in more oats or chugging olive oil is a far cheaper way to up my calories (and money is a concern… the wife already thinks I’m going to eat us out of house and home with all the chicken).
[/quote]

My bad, I didn’t know how many chicken breasts you were eating. Damn dude, chicken all day . Even breakfast lol. I’d be starving too. Like bwhitwell said, try some different meats. I find ground beef more filling then chicken and cheaper. Eggs are good too. Eat 8 of those for breakfast and I guarantee you’ll be filled up. You can carry a bag of mixed nuts and snack on that during the day. The fiber in it tends to fill me up.

It’s kind of funny to me that I’ve read a lot of articles about weight loss and how protein satiates you and kills your hunger. I guess for me and you that rule doesn’t apply. Meat and veggies always leaves me hungry. I need carbs.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
My bad, I didn’t know how many chicken breasts you were eating. Damn dude, chicken all day . Even breakfast lol. I’d be starving too. Like bwhitwell said, try some different meats. I find ground beef more filling then chicken and cheaper. Eggs are good too. Eat 8 of those for breakfast and I guarantee you’ll be filled up. You can carry a bag of mixed nuts and snack on that during the day. The fiber in it tends to fill me up.

It’s kind of funny to me that I’ve read a lot of articles about weight loss and how protein satiates you and kills your hunger. I guess for me and you that rule doesn’t apply. Meat and veggies always leaves me hungry. I need carbs.[/quote]
I’ll do that. Ground beef and eggs. I’m assuming you mean the fatty beef since the 93/7 is like $3.50/lb… IIRC the 70/30 or 80/20 is a lot more reasonable. Its obviously more filling since there’s so much fat in it, lol.

The nuts… I saw something similar in another thread, BOI I think, just putting together a very large healthy snack and eating it all day to up your calories and give you something to eat when you wanted it. I think i’ll start doing that. Easier and more flexible than making more meals.

I really appreciate all the tips and discussion guys. I’ll update my avatar as I become more hoss-like.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Who the hell are you to tell somoene what kind of foods to eat?

I could eat “dirty” food upwards of 10 meals a week and I’d still keep abs. Would you tell me not to eat dirty foods after knowing that? Of course not. You dont know shit about anyone else but yourself. You dont have to ask somoene to “plese do a clean bulk”. No one gives a shit if you think THEIR fat gain is unacceptable. If someones waist size goes up 3" while they gain 40 pounds and they are comfortable then so be it. No one asked you to judge someone based on the level of fat YOU find acceptable. The guy asked for opinions on how much he should eat in relation to his hunger. That’s it. He didnt ask anyone to make up some scenario to give random opinions on a different topic. [/quote]

im not telling anyone to eat a certain way, as for the OP i didnt know at the time if he was having fast food and junk food all day long or if it was only a few meals a week, he hadnt posted his diet yt, i was simply making a suggestion about not letting the fast food get out of hand, but carbs and fats with protien do help the OP feel satified, so its up to him how much he wants to consume of it, and if you can keep your abs visible with 10 dirty/ cheat meals then by all means do what works for you, same thing to the OP do what works for you, im not judging anyone by their fat% or anything like that, i really could care less about anyones fat gain, at that time (the OP hadnt stated his diet yt) and the only food that he had mentioned was a whopper, so i didnt know if he was consuming 15 whoppers a day or what, so i just said be careful

[quote]nschneid wrote:
I’ll do that. Ground beef and eggs. I’m assuming you mean the fatty beef since the 93/7 is like $3.50/lb… IIRC the 70/30 or 80/20 is a lot more reasonable. Its obviously more filling since there’s so much fat in it, lol.

The nuts… I saw something similar in another thread, BOI I think, just putting together a very large healthy snack and eating it all day to up your calories and give you something to eat when you wanted it. I think i’ll start doing that. Easier and more flexible than making more meals.

I really appreciate all the tips and discussion guys. I’ll update my avatar as I become more hoss-like.[/quote]

Yeah I get the 80/20 if it’s cheap and then strain the grease out after it’s cooked. I got this recipe form Waylander’s post where he cooks about 1lb or more of ground beef, strains the fat and then mixes in salsa and sour cream. It’s sounds a little odd but tastes good and caught on with a few of us. When I bulk I need carbs so I’ll have it with this 90 second rice which tastes great and is $2 ( http://www.unclebens.com/rice/ready-rice-rice-pilaf.aspx ) or I’ll boil a couple small red potatoes and have them on the side . Either way, it’s an easy meal to make and switch things up if you’re tired of the same food.

5 Whoppers a week…

In fact, I will go as far as to say that the guys this damned worried about a Whopper when they aren’t even dieting…won’t ever have to worry about wearing a XXL t-shirt because your .[/quote]

Gotta get my Whopper on now

[quote]young n wrote:
im not telling anyone to eat a certain way, as for the OP i didnt know at the time if he was having fast food and junk food all day long or if it was only a few meals a week, he hadnt posted his diet yt, i was simply making a suggestion about not letting the fast food get out of hand, but carbs and fats with protien do help the OP feel satified, so its up to him how much he wants to consume of it, and if you can keep your abs visible with 10 dirty/ cheat meals then by all means do what works for you, same thing to the OP do what works for you, im not judging anyone by their fat% or anything like that, i really could care less about anyones fat gain, at that time (the OP hadnt stated his diet yt) and the only food that he had mentioned was a whopper, so i didnt know if he was consuming 15 whoppers a day or what, so i just said be careful[/quote]

Ever hear the phrase: “If you see a man in a hole, don’t give him a shovel.”? Cause you are in a hole. Bonez told you that he can eat what he wants and it doesn’t affect him. Yet, you call his eating ‘dirty/cheat meals.’ Guess what, they aren’t if they work for him. For him, they are just meals.

Stop putting YOUR opinions on what people eat. A person needs to figure out what they need to eat to achieve their goals.

[quote]young n wrote:
im not telling anyone to eat a certain way, as for the OP i didnt know at the time if he was having fast food and junk food all day long or if it was only a few meals a week[/quote]
Yeah I only eat that for lunch once a week or so… I’m not to keen on dropping $7 for lunch when I can get away for under $2 with chicken and oats.

[quote]Fallen wrote:
Gotta get my Whopper on now[/quote]
Lemmie tell ya nothing hits the spot after squats like a double whopper hold the mayo with a large strawberry milkshake.

And its still early (last day of week 2 BBB) but I’m pretty sure I’m not screwing anything up except maybe in the UNDER-eating direction. The mirror says my BFP may actually have gone down past two weeks.

I need to feed the furnace; take some queues from H$M.

[quote]Arioch wrote:

Ever hear the phrase: “If you see a man in a hole, don’t give him a shovel.”? Cause you are in a hole. Bonez told you that he can eat what he wants and it doesn’t affect him. Yet, you call his eating ‘dirty/cheat meals.’ Guess what, they aren’t if they work for him. For him, they are just meals.

Stop putting YOUR opinions on what people eat. A person needs to figure out what they need to eat to achieve their goals.[/quote]

im not trying to call his meals dirty or cheat meals, i mean those are meals for him, what might be dirty for one is clean for another, i just didnt know what to call or name those meals, or if they should even be named or isolated, i been trying trying to tell the OP do what works for him, i guess i keep fucking up and wording it wrong

just like the phrase one mans trash is another mans treasure

[quote]young n wrote:

[quote]Arioch wrote:

Stop putting YOUR opinions on what people eat. A person needs to figure out what they need to eat to achieve their goals.[/quote]

im not trying to call his meals dirty or cheat meals, i mean those are meals for him, what might be dirty for one is clean for another, i just didnt know what to call or name those meals, or if they should even be named or isolated, i been trying trying to tell the OP do what works for him, i guess i keep fucking up and wording it wrong

just like the phrase one mans trash is another mans treasure[/quote]

Dude, just relax. I personally have never had a problem with you and don’t think you are an idiot…but I do think some of you have more you need to experience before you start giving out advice.

[quote]young n wrote:

[quote]Arioch wrote:

just like the phrase one mans trash is another mans treasure[/quote]

I think that…both of you should shut the fuck up. Everyone has an asshole just like everyone has an opinion. Sure, it would be wise to take X’s opinion over the likes of Chicktuna but that’s using commonsense and nobody does that anymore. Put in the time to figure out what works for you. My favorite quote is:

“There’s an old saying in Tennessee â?? I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee â?? that says, fool me once, shame on â?? shame on you. Fool me â?? you can’t get fooled again.”

Dude, just relax. I personally have never had a problem with you and don’t think you are an idiot…but I do think some of you have more you need to experience before you start giving out advice.
[/quote]

i agree with that very much, im always concerned about body weight, i have to meet certain body weight requirements for sports, but i should realize that this isnt the case for the OP and that he was just asking if others felt hungary while constantly eating on a bulk, my posts got way out of hand, but i was just trying to implement for the OP to try different carbs, fats, and protein percentages with different meals to figure out what does work for him, but i do have a question for you prof x, and i know this was brought up earlier in the thread, but why is it that when me or the OP or when others are eating every 2-3 hours we constantly feel hungary? but when im busy at work at i’ll only get to eat maybe twice in about a 14 hour period i dont feel the hunger? i mean i do understand that the body utilizes the nutrients more efficiently with a constant supply of macros, and that the body is very adaptive and will get used to the constant flow of nutrients, but i mean i have seen that it has nothing to do with a carb/ fat/ protien distribution of a meal, when im constantly eating every 3-4 hours i will feel extremely hungary after exactly 4 hours, but when my diet has been fucked up for a few days, i can go 8 hours without realizing im hungary

Do you have access to like a Costco/Bjs/etc?

I just started buying meat and eggs there; I get two LARGE packages of meat, about 90 or 93 percent lean and I freeze one. In total, this lasts me slightly over 2 weeks, and I eat 8oz a day.

That definitely helps with the cost. Regular markets are gonna rip you off in comparison, and i’d definitely get some more beef in there. Like others have said, the fat will help with controlling hunger a bit. I know that when I have a carb/protein meal I get much more hungry in about 2 hours than when I have a protein/fat meal.

Nuts, as already mentioned, are awesome. Stick with almonds or walnuts. Some of the most convenient foods to bring with you, where ever you go. A few scoops of whey and an ounce or so of nuts is a great meal, especially when you don’t have access to a microwave to heat up chicken or whatever else you’re doing.