T Nation

Trying to Bring Upper Chest to Pull-up Bar

So I have been doing wide overhand grip pullups on a pullup/chin-up bar for the past month now and the number of reps that I can do has significantly increased. However, whenever I use the pullups/chin-up bar I am never able to bring my upper chest to the bar except for when I do the close underhand grip chin-up variation.

I have already looked up Nate Green’s pullup article on how to execute pullups with good form and so I did try sticking out my chest throughout the entire ROM of each rep, but i still have not been able to bring my upper chest to the bar. I don’t have any other equipment around that I can use to help me with my pullup form like a giant rubber band or what have you. So what’s going’ on, why am I not able to do this?

The romboids and mid traps take care of the last inch to the bar. When they’re weak it means you can’t get it. For bodybuilding purposes that last inch doesn’t really matter; if, however, you really want to get it, do tons and tons of inverted rows with a pause at the top. also, try to work your way up through that last inch by using pulldowns.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
I don’t have any other equipment around that I can use to help me with my pullup form like a giant rubber band or what have you. So what’s going’ on, why am I not able to do this?[/quote]
Bands are a good investment if you’re doing any kind of training at home, so consider picking some up for general purposes.

Like Hawkz was getting at, it’s an issue of lower trap strength. Mike Robertson specifically addressed it here:

Try the activation drills and, eventually, the static holds he talks about.

Actually I kind of made a mistake in saying that “whenever I use the pullups/chin-up bar I am never able to bring my upper chest to the bar except for when I do the close underhand grip chin-up variation.” A couple days ago when I experimented again with all the different grips I know on my pullup/chin-up bar, and I realized that I actually can bring my upper chest to the bar with all the pullup/chin-up variations except for when I do the wide grip variation where I grip the ends of the cambered parts of the bar. So what does this mean?

Also, if my rhomboids, lower trap, and mid trap muscles are weak since I can only bring my upper chest to being 1-2 inches away from the bar for each rep and if I keep doing pullups the way that I have been doing them, then will I end up messing up my shoulders?

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Also, if my rhomboids, lower trap, and mid trap muscles are weak since I can only bring my upper chest to being 1-2 inches away from the bar for each rep and if I keep doing pullups the way that I have been doing them, then will I end up messing up my shoulders?
[/quote]

No.

If you’re going wide enough to hold onto the end of the cambered part of a chin up bar, I’m not surprised you can’t bring your chest to it. That is a freaking wide grip.

If I’m picturing this right, the cambered bar means that your hands are naturally lower when you grip the ends of the cambered bar. That means that you have to pull your chest higher in relation to your hands to get your chest to the bar. There’s a certain limit to the ROM you can get just based on shoulder and scapula flexibility. At a certain point, the only way to go higher is to start into a muscle-up, which is a different movement.

I guess what I’m saying is you should see what your flexibility is as far as bringing your elbows behind your back before jumping to the conclusion that it’s just a strength limitation.

Okay, I think I know what to do now. Thanks guys!