Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

I think you guys may mistake something here… I am not physically sick, body wise. All my joints and muscles feel amazing. I just had a nasty cold that doesn’t want to leave entirely.

1 Like

I get that. Resetting can be very benefitial. Right now all intensities aren’t that crazy though. Squats and deadlifts are the only lifts that are trained with higher percentages right now.

1 Like

I am unsure of what is going on with my body. I think it still just is a cold that stuck around a bit. My girlfriend is also still sick.

Also I am being coached right now and don’t necessarily want to deviate from the program.

3 Likes

I get what you are saying and I would probably be doing the same as you, as I am sure most of us would. Only you can work through this and you’re already getting help which is good. A break from the weights although it feels like it’s helping is still a good option. I wish you the best.

2 Likes

That is slightly different. I like Skip Hill’s traffic light system. In brief:

Green light: illness above the throat. Train as normal
Yellow light: illness in the throat. Train, but with caution and reduce intensity and volume where necessary in order to avoid entering red light territory
Red light: illness below the throat. Do not train.

2 Likes

I can’t either :joy: I think the best we can hope for is learning from our idiocy.

For example, I have only ever once tried to kill a fly sitting on my shin with a mallet.

1 Like

hahaha learning experience, that must have hurt :slight_smile:
I like the traffic light thing btw.

1 Like

Thanks @simo74 and all of you other guys. I really greatly appreciate your continued support!

This is pretty much what I use as well. Right now I am adjusting my training to how “sick/ I need to lay on the sofa I feel” and how much I am coughing etc. So if I feel worse I adjust my training accordingly or skip it. I always have in mind that I don’t want to get it worse so that I have to take a full week off again.

haha yeah that sounds like something you wouldn’t do twice. On the other hand, a mate of mine has hit himself in the head with the pointed end of a hammer twice!

2 Likes

1 strict press (No belt)
5 x 10 @ 47,5 kg

2 Log lift (Clean once)
5 x 10 @ 60 kg

3 chin ups (14 total)
7 x 2

4 chest supported tbar row
5 x 10 @ 55 kg

Notes:

• chin ups felt very weak today.
  • need to use my belt for the strict pressing if weight increases. Atleast for the last 2-3 sets.
  • tried my new rehband compression belt today. Was a late birthday present from my gf. On its own it works like my knee sleeves (warmth but no direct support -since it just expands with my belly). Combined with my leather belt it makes my back feel a lot more supported! I see why people like it for the log press.
  • less sick today, so that is a win.
3 Likes

Very glad to hear this.

Thanks, it is getting better and better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back felt fatigued/ tight from yesterday. Log presses are very demanding on my lower back.

1 front squats
5 x 2 @ 87,5 kg

2 squats
5 x 10 @ 102,5 kg

3 car deadlift simulator
4 x 5 @ 205 kg
1 x 8 @ 205 kg - this was an AMRAP but I capped it early because I was fucked. Had a few more for sure

4 stretching + spine decompression, sauna, steam bath

Notes:

• exertion headache set in after set 4 of back squats
  • felt good to go again today, cold/ illness wise. Weekly therapy session was okay. Less unsettling compared to the last one.
  • this was easily one of the hardest sessions in recent history. But on the other hand I felt good about myself after I pushed myself through it
  • got a nasty back pump from the high rep squats.
3 Likes

Good, good.

1 Like

ej33g

Thank you, my lord.

4 Likes

I like that you got it.

4 Likes

Went for a long walk yesterday. Weather was georgous! You could walk around in a t-shirt at the end of October. Found a very nice path and also stopped at a local brewery to fight dehydration :smiley: .

Going for a long walk is one of the best and nicest recovery methods. Loosens the back and pumps blood in the legs.
It was a nice day. Walks in the nature while the sun is shining are one of the things that calms me down and makes me happy. Beer was great too.

4 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about. That sounded so good I wanted to be there with you. Quality

1 Like

1 axle push press
5 x 2 @ 93 kg

2 strict press (no belt)
5 x 10 @ 47.5 kg

3 chin ups
7 x 2

4 single arm row (programmed said dumbbells but we got a new fancy machine and I wanted to try it)
5 x 10 @ 50 kg - good pump

Notes:

• push presses were very easy. Strict presses were surprisingly also easier than earlier this week.
  • pull ups on the other hand were weak again today.
  • first training with Wayne in some time

Now some semi funny stuff:
I am actively being pushed out of my position in the gym. Some pretty fucked up backstabbing, while people are lying in my face. Smiling. It seems like I am not even wanted anymore as a part time trainer.
At least I now finally figured out the reason. A coach and mate said that it seemingly the new owner has spoken out against me. I don’t fit the image/ look that he wants from his employees.
Basically I am too big/massive (in the sense of intimidating) for a gym employee - can you believe that? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Btw. I am 188 cm/ 6’2" and 120 kg/ 264 lbs. To make it more ironic - the new owner was a trainer in the same gym about 22 years ago and at that time went by the name “Big Thomas” because he was 130 kg.

5 Likes

Jealousy perhaps? If it’s something you still want to pursue, maybe now is the time to start locking down your own clientele from that gym, or confront the new owner about the rumours that are circulating
The last thing you want is for it not to be true and other people are weary about their own position, thus making you the “fall guy”

4 Likes