Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Happy belated birthday! Man you’re looking thick

1 Like

Hey @TX_iron thank you both for the congratulations and the compliment! Really good to see you back in here. I hope everything is going well?

Also I am on my way back home from the Wiesn (Oktoberfest) where I went with 3 Australians (Wayne, his brother and a dude currently living in Leeds) + 2 Danish guys. It was good times! Although I’ll never get why you would spend shitloads of money and vacation time to get to this event

1 Like

Yeah brotha, things are going great! Been busy as the wife is back in school for neonatal nurse practitioner, so I’m doing my best to support. Lots of moving and shaking on my end as well. Good to be back my man, you look to be doing well yourself

1 squats
5 x 3 @ 80 kg

2 conv. deadlifts (from floor)
5 x 3 @ 100 kg

3 strict press
5 x 3 @ 40 kg

Sauna and chilling

Notes:

• feeling a little lethargic today (go figure after returning at 2.30 am and drinking a large amount of beer).
  • this deload workout was perfect, thanks @MarkKo. It took to the last set of squats for them to feel on point but deadlifts and ohp felt great. I think my body appreciated to move without it being strenous. Deload is therefore wrapped up
  • now I am resting until Vienna (Wednesday) and after that I’ll start big Tim’s (O’Shea) program
2 Likes

Good to hear that! What are you doing sport wise at the moment?
Yeah things are going good, apart from my job life, haha.

1 Like

Kind of a personal update.

I just found out that my bachelor’s degree is/ will be absolutely worthless.
This month my contract as a dual student runs out and will not be prolonged. I failed to score another job in Munich in my own field. No one will hire someone like me because there are much cheaper alternatives (I could go on and on about this, but that is basically how it is).
Yesterday I was at the employment agency. It was a near Kafkaesque experience with how much I needed to run around this giant fortress of bureaucracy.
Anyway I found out that I am not eligible for social and even had to fight for being eligible to get unemployment money in case I can’t find a new job in a few days. Unemployment payment 1 in Germany means 60% of your last income. It is an insurance, which I have been paying in for years. However 60% of my income is far less than the existencial minimum here. It is basically less than half my rent! I can’t get any social money apart from that because I am still enrolled in university which I need to be in order to finish my bachelor thesis.

Bottom line is that I have to find a job quick. I originally wanted to have some more time to find something I might like (and hopefully something that my bachelor fucking qualifies me for). Right now I am considering different jobs that people I know are pitching me: Track labourer (doing maintanance on train tracks) - hard job but good paying; techniqual assistant (hotline for a company offering electronichal payment) - sounds boring as fuck, payment is decent; security guard at military base - sounds awfully boring and payment is bad; waiter/ server/ barkeeper.

If I can’t find anything I am still working part time at my gym. That is atleast “tax free” but not even worth my rent, I suppose.

Yeah stress has been kinda high lately. I will update if I find something.

2 Likes

What is your major?

Track labourer. Gives you an in to a trade.

Welcome to the world of worthless university degrees.

Fitness science and economics

That is my preferred route right now because even without an education in the field I can still make decent money

You have one as well?

Yes. Bachelor of Science with a major in human biology or something. Unless I was prepared to put in another five or so years to get a doctorate - during which I wouldn’t be able to make enough money to support myself - there was very little I could do with it. Not even remotely interested enough in the field to do that. So I worked security until I started a cabinetmaking apprenticeship a month ago.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, just about the only Bachelor’s degree that you can make good money with right out of the gate is engineering (or business if you have an ‘in’ at a good company). Even most other STEM fields want you to have at least a Master’s to make any kind of money. Learning a craft may not be as prestigious, but it’s probably more valuable in the long run…

1 Like

Bugger man, sorry to hear about it.
But you have opportunities to make some money, while chasing the dream job.
Go for the high pay track thing.

I made much more money a week as an electrician (vocational certification) than I do now as a teacher (bachelor degree w/ student loans).

2 Likes

Thanks guys, it seems like what I am experiencing isn’t too uncommon. I do plan on going back into the field by opening up a S&C gym lateral down the road, as I have been talking about before. So my bachelor will be put to some use (even though I wouldn’t need it for that to be honest).
I am definitely trying to get into the track labourer thing. Although I am also applying for the other jobs as well to not put all eggs in one basket.

2 Likes

That is wise :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you wanted to man, you could always work to persue some advanced degree which would compliment your current BA while working a job you’re not wild about. I imagine healthcare, especially administrative roles, would tie in well to fitness science and economics Undergraduate.

1 Like

Yeah, teachers are paid a criminally low wage here in the states. Sort of sadly, I’m considering going back to school and getting my teaching certificate after I retire from working at the power plant, just because I enjoy teaching, and one of my most influential teachers in high school was a retired engineer who worked in aerospace, and went into teaching math and science in high school just because he enjoyed it, and I would love to give back like that. I say sadly, because I never considered teaching as a primary vocation simply because I wouldn’t be able to support my family with it.

3 Likes

That is why I teach. I sold the business and got the degree I’m not hear to make money but to help kids. Best decision I’ve ever made

5 Likes