Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Haha I’ll try harder, I promise.

1 Like

Just say no. Seriously. The last two weeks have been fucking horrible.

1 Like

Today was a mixed bag but can’t complain too much.

1 Log lift
Up to
1 @ 85 kg
1 @ 90 kg - grind. With good back position but somehow was closer to a strict press than what I wanted it to be
1 @ 90 kg - TONS better
0 @ 90 kg - what the fuck is up? Pressed out in front
1 @ 90 kg - too strict again, also pressed out in front
1 @ 90 kg - Tons better again!
1 @ 90 kg - okay
2 x 0 @ 90 kg - I know it was beyond stupid to continue. I was stubborn and wanted to end on a high note
2 @ 90 kg - god damn I was pissed and it helped

(In total 7 succesfull reps at 90 kg)

2 swiss bar (aka deficit log) push press
5 @ 50 kg
2 @ 70 kg
4 x 5 @ 80 kg
My thinking was mainly that I could work on my leg drive technique here.

3 paused board press
3 x 10 @ 60 kg

4 lat pull down
5 x 10 @ 70 kg

Notes:

• Was running out of time at the end.
  • I think what I am missing right now ist practise with high weights on the log. I make a lot of errors on my push press once I get up to intimidating weights. I need to gain confidence and get my Shit together.
  • I have done a 6x2 at 90 kg not too long ago so I know that I have what it takes.
4 Likes

The other way would be to practise a ton with lighter weights to perfect technique and do other work to add muscle…

Correct. That switch will be made rather soon, at the latest in October when I start Tim’s program.
The technique problem only occours when a) my legs are fatigued or b) I approach 90% and up of my 1RM. On lighter weights it feels very solid.

I want to have one last run at my big goal in the log lift before I lay the heavy weights aside for a longer while. For now I think I may even do log twice per week, once heavyish ans once lighter.

1 Like

Went hard at it with the foam roller + lacrosse ball and stretching on the 28th and also used sauna and steam room the day after

I had a great time with the gf and Wayne today. It was a fun session because we talked a lot and had a few good laughs.

1 deadlift (off one mat)
I went up to 160 kg doing both close stance sumo and conventional)
1 @ 175 kg (conventional)
2 @ 182,5 kg (conventional) - PR!
1 @ 182,5 kg (close stance sumo)
2 @ 160 kg (close stance sumo from the floor - nope, this is not it. Felt bad)
5 x 5 @ 140 kg (conventional)

2 trap bar deadlift
up to
10 @ 131 kg (beltless)

3 axle doh holds
2 x max time (first was 47 seconds) @ 76 kg

4a single leg leg curls
5 x 10

4b seated cable row
5 x 10 @ 75 kg

Did 4a+b going back and forth with Wayne

Tiny bit of sauna and that was it,

Notes.

• really bad form on the 182,5 kg x 2 but still conventional felt kinda strong.

• I think I will benefit from a lot of volume and lighter technique work with conventional going foreward.

• Video:

4 Likes

Nice pr

1 Like

Lower back (erectors) are sore today but actually not as sore as I thought they would be, everything feels fine today which gives me hope. We’ll see how it looks tomorrow.

Today ist the ultimate recovery day. Big brunch, a lot of chilling and sleeping and now sauna, steam bath, ice shower for a few hours.

Also found a good side angle of yesterday’s deadlifts that may help for providing critique
:

2 Likes

Awesome PR Koestrizer :slight_smile:
looking strong and fast

1 Like

Looks good. Drop your butt around 7.5 cm.

1 Like

Thanks guys @mortdk and @MarkKO . I always appreciate feedback, especially on the things I am bad at.
Will try to drop my butt down next time.

1 Like

Lower back was still very sore (erectors, not spinal), hams and glutes kinda tired. So I thought that I might have a light log lift day plus strict pressing. Had a 5x5 with 80 in mind going in but that would have been/ was too heavy. Pressing was no problem but core was fatigued which caused me to stumble around.

1 log lift (Clean once)
2 x 5 @ 75 kg
5 @ 80 kg
5 @ 75 kg
8 @ 75

2 swiss bar (aka deficit log) strict press
4 x 10 @ 55 kg

3 incline db bench press
3 x 40 @ 17,5 kg

4 seated cable row
5 x 15 @ 60 kg

5 tricep push downs
one big dropset

Notes:

• Not a bad day. Should have maybe gone even lighter on log just because I am so fatigued. 75 felt very solid technique wise though. 80 kg didn’t feel bad pressing but stability was off, so I didn’t push it.
1 Like

Also got my deadlift challenge in video forma now (100 doubles @ 100 kg in 37 minutes - sped up of course):

3 Likes

Yes that looked horrible. When you walked off shot were you going to spew or were you swapping with a body double !!

Haha no I managed it without puking

Still not completely recovered from deadlifts DOMS-wise (which tells about how efficient my conventional is) but it is faiding.

1 squat
Up to
2 x 3 @ 140 kg
5 @ 120 kg
7 @ 120 kg
3 x 10 @ 100 kg

2 rdls
3 x 15 @ 60 kg

3 weighted plankes
30 sec @ 20 kg
2 x 30 sec @ 30 kg

Notes:

• felt pretty bad going into the workout. Felt like I wanted/ needed to go to bed. My body did not want to lift and I had no desire either. On top I was more depressed today than in I have been in a while.
  • did feel like passing out after all those squats but after steam bath and shower I felt decent again, just very tired.
  • pretty happy with technique today. I’ll upload a video tomorrow but they looked and moved decently today. Got in some quality volume. My squats are never going to be text book like because of my anatomy but fuck that anyway, right?
  • really appreciated Wayne being there today because I might have wussed out without him. Also he is kind of a mad man when it comes to his training plan. He just goes hard on squats nearly every day. Like multiple days in a row.
2 Likes

Couldn’t train yesterday because I have surprisingly gotten a spot for psychotherapie (close to 8 months waiting time) and had my first session. After that I had to rush to a job interview. I could have had a quick training afterwards but decided to go for a nap. I feel like that was the right decision since I am pretty much tired all the time and lack sleep.

Early training, tired and without training partners.

1 Log lift
Up to
1 @ 80 kg
1 @ 85 kg
1 @ 90 kg
1 @ 92,5 kg
1 @ 92,5 kg
1 @ 92,5 kg
0 @ 97,5 kg - tried for a mini PR but wrong decision
1 @ 92,5 kg
3 @ 85 kg
3 @ 85 kg
3 @ 85 kg

2 Push Press (barbell)
8 @ 80 kg
8 @ 80 kg

Very easy

3 paused board press
3 x 10 @ 70 kg - very easy

4 lat pull down
5 x 12

Notes:

• very solid performance. I am pleased for once. Technique, bracing, confidence under the weight: everything felt pretty spot on today.
  • tried for a mini PR but that was stupid, considering the fatigue up to that point.
  • I feel like my plan of just greasing the groove and doing log often seems to work
  • hard and good training session. This was what I needed today… A win. Things aren’t going too great apart from that so it makes me appreciate a good session even more
3 Likes

Better late than never - Tuesday’s squats:

Today’s heaviest log sets:

2 Likes

1 conv. deadlift off one mat
5 x 5 @ 150 kg

2 farmer’s walk
3 x 25 meter @ 105 kg per hand

Notes:

• yep that is all. Was a good fun with Wayne though, he is a pretty happy, jolly person, which floats over
  • it has been a while with farmer’s so they felt kind of hard but doable
  • I tried to implement a little more of the cues that @MarkKO is using (squeeze oranges,…) - especially starting on set 2 - and also tried to drop my butt 7.5 cm as instructed.
  • Two things are weird about my conventional: While the 5x5 today wasn’t exactly hard it was still a good work. With sumo this would have been a piece of cake. Still my max strength is higher conventional. I have no explanation for this. The second thing is that my belt seems to be more in the way than anything. It feels really weird to have it on in the bottom position.

Video from 3 of 5 sets of my deadlifts:

Hey man nice deadlifts.
Looking strong and solid.
Try putting the belt higher on DL all the way up to the ribs.
That might help a bit, it did for me. Can’t remember when, where or who told me.
But someone did and it helps, try different positions, until you find a spot that suits your style.

2 Likes