Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

1 Bench press
5 @ 80 kg
3 @ 90 kg
5 @ 100 kg

2 slingshot bench press
1 @ 115 kg
1 @ 130 kg

3 Bench press (back off)
12 @ 80 kg
8 @ 80 kg
8 @ 60 kg (paused)

4 seated cable row
12, 10, 8 (too much for ham)

5 paused seated cable row
2 x 10

6 incline db press
6 @ 35 kg
7 @ 30 kg
8 @ 25 kg

7 Reverse flys
3 x 15

8 tricep push downs

Notes:

• surprisingly good session. No PRs per se but for how bench ist going lately this was a very good performance
  • Limited arch to prevent myself from pushing with the legs to much. Affected things less than I thought. I think I am using barely any leg drive anyway
4 Likes

Hamstring is healing fast! Feels a ton better and I can walk and sit normal again. I am even planning to lift tomorrow, although I am not sure what I will be able to do but we’ll see. If it continues at this rate I will be able to lift heavy this weekend or sometime next week again.
Very glad that it turned out this way. It stopped getting worse Tuesday evening and got better by 150% the night from Wednesday to Thursday.

Today I went into the sauna as part of recovery.

1 Like

Can’t do a bodyweight squat without pain in the hamstring and can’t push my hips back enough to deadlift. I can however even use leg drive if I don’t drop too low on the dip. Weird, but we’ll figure it out.

1 btn push press/ push Press
40 kg x 10/10
60 kg x 5/5
70 kg x 3/3
80 kg x 2/1
90 kg x 1/1
95 kg x 1/1
100 kg x 0
100 kg x 1/1

2 push press
5 @ 90 kg
5 @ 90 kg
5 @ 90 kg
5 @ 90 kg
4 @ 90 kg - misgrooved and couldn’t recover

3 lat pull down
5 x 10

4 seated db press
10 @ 25 kg
8 @ 25 kg
8 @ 22,5 kg

5 seated row machine
4 x 12

6 tricep Push down
Dropset 12/10/7

7 Side hold
8-10 kg @ ?
8-10 kg @ 23 sec.

Notes:

• felt good to get moving again
4 Likes

OK you might think I have to be the dumbest guy around here - and you may be right.

Went in and started moving around. Doing GMs with the bar I could feel the hamstring but not painful. Back squats with the bar did hurt a little. Box squats with the bar were similiar to GMs.
My thought process around that time was “okay then, I am going for my usual squats and just cap it at 80-100 kg for speed and technique”.
I put the briefs on and - no pain or discomfort squatting to the box!
I thought “wtf?” and proceeded to work up in much smaller steps than usual. Ultimately I thought “what the hell, I am going to go for it”. Did a last single with 160 kg, loaded 170 kg and the rest is listed below.
I am very happy right now, immediately post workout, my hamstring feels okay - tender but not in too much pain!

1 Box squat (in briefs)
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
3 @ 170 kg
(10 x 3)

2 single leg leg press (45°) - this was triggering my hamstring more than the squats, can you believe that? :smiley:
Reps per leg
3 x 20 @ 50 kg plate weight

Notes:

• wasn’t much but a lot more than expected and a million times more than I expected a few days ago!
4 Likes

1 bench press
5 @ 60 kg
5 @ 80 kg
8 @ 90 kg

2 slingshot bench press
1 @ 100 kg
1 @ 110 kg

3 bench press (back off)
2 x 10 @ 80 kg

4 db incline bench press
3 x 40 @ 15 kg

5 seated cable row
10 @ 70 kg
10 @ 80 kg
4 x 10 @ 90 kg

6 plankes
40/ 10 off/ 30 /10 off/ 30

7 band pull aparts
3 x 50

8 tricep push downs
Some for a few

Notes:.

• okay training, chatted a bunch with Wayne but I don’t care during bench training. I see this as a lighter/ more raxed day anyway.
  • I actually thought about removing bench pressing as its own day altogether
  • I thought a ton about what to do next programming wise these last days. I decided to not compete anymore this year and am determined to make the switch and go up one league next year. To hell with it, I am going to grow with the challenge! This leaves me with a little more than 6 months to prep for my next competition. I have a few things on my bucket list that I would like to scratch off, if the chance is there. However after that (October and onwards) I am not interested in immediate results and am solely focused on next season. I couldn’t come up with a program yet (feel free to post ideas by all means). I might just get lucky and will get a program by Tim O’Shea. Although I do feel a little uncomfortable since I don’t know him personally and don’t pay him. Wayne ist just gonna ask him about advice for me. We will see what happens
  • trying out deadlifts in friday morning. It hast been nearly two weeks by then, the hamstring better play along!
1 Like

I find deads stress my hamstrings much more than squats be careful, but grind on!

1 Like

Well that ended better than I expected.

1 Like

1 Log lift

80 kg singles EMOM 10 minutes
4 @ 80 kg

2 Swiss bar ohp
5 x 10 @ 40 kg

3 chin ups

4 lat pull down
2 x 10

2 Likes

I was thinking torn hamstring. Glad it wasn’t @Koestrizer

2 Likes

You asked for it man. The Darkhorse by Brian Alsruhe.
It’s stupidly hard and have a giant set every workout where the last exercise is a strongman thing or a cardio thing.
Starts with a giant set progress with an emom set for 10 minutes
ends with whatever assistance (for you a strongman thing)
4 days a week with the four big ones: for you it could be Log press, bench of some kind, squat and DL.
Look at neversate dot com (Brian Alsruhe avatar on thes site is Alpha).
He also have a daily WOD you could just follow that as well.

1 Sumo deadlifts
1 @ 140 kg
1 @ 160 kg
1 @ 175 kg
1 @ 182,5 kg - Baby PR but wanted 4! :frowning:
5 @ 162,5 kg

Wanted a 3 x 5 with 162,5 kg but hamstring pain got too intense so I decided to be reasonable and shut it down

2 seated good mornings
10 @ 40 kg
2 x 10 @ 60 kg

3 chest supported tbar row
5 x 10

4 plankes
30/10/30/10/40
On/off/…

Notes:

• pride is hurt. This should have worked better.
  • Had to alter my start position for the deadlift because of my hamstring issue. Not an excuse though, this would have not gone different.
2 Likes

Not exactly pretty but I am still going to share my baby PR video. Also Wayne hit a triple with it afterwards after not training for months… I congratulated him with a sincere and friendly “fuck you” :smiley:

Next time I will move my feet in as I have gotten this feetback more than once. I’ll also try to lift off some small blocks, as Tim would like to see that.
I am super happy that Tim O’Shea will actually be writing me a program. Already saw a snippet - death by volume it will be.

1 Like

Thanks Mort, but I already tried that for a bit. In the process I hurt my hip on some squats. I liked it kinda but I think it isn’t for me and is not sustainable enough to use it as a very far out build up for next season.
I also think I need to heal out some niggles that I got from poor training programming and really set my eyes on the prize and go after gains more in the long run instead of the immediate reward of some gym PRs.

1 Like

This is significantly better than body being hurt.

I agree. Although I think my hamstring is still kinda damaged so I have a bit of both, haha :smiley:

1 Like

Started off with a little bike ride. Chilled a little at my favorite spot in the forest and continued on to the gym.

1 squats (regular back squats)
10 @ 40 kg
5 x 10 @ 60 kg

Then I went into the sauna and used the ice shower a lot.

Just some active recovery to get blood flowing and help me recover faster. Back squats felt alien.

1 Like

Really good training sesion with Wayne today.

1 log lift
EMOM singles @ 85 kg for 10 minutes
3 @ 85 kg (after I rested)

2 swiss bar strict press
5 x 10 @ 50 kg

3 chest supported tbar row
5 x 10 @ 40 kg
10 @ 50 kg
10 @60 kg

4 plankes
40/10/30/10/30

Notes:

• technique felt better than last week. Not as crisp but very solid. Bracing was on point.
3 Likes

Solid workout man :slight_smile:

Thanks man. It hopefully helps setting myself up for a big log press before I start my new program in october.

1 squats (regular back squats + in oly shoes)
Up to
1 @ 120 kg
1 @ 140 kg
3 @ 140 kg
5 x 10 @ 80 kg (beltless)

2 sandbag carries
2 x 25 meter @ 80 kg
2 x 50 meter @ 80 kg

Notes:

• squats without the box and in oly shoes felt pretty alien. It just had been sooo long. For some reason I just wanted to see how it feels in oly shoes.
  • the good thing about the box squats is, I am very used to heavy weights in my back. So now everything feels super light.
  • afterwards I went into town for drinks with Wayne and his brother. Good times!
5 Likes