Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Thanks for clarifying man. I thought it was like that.
And for the bad day. I think @T3hPwnisher like to muscle everything in a bit of an ugly way, and it goes very well for him :slight_smile:
Ya know POWER :slight_smile: more than technique :slight_smile:

1 Like

That guy is made of something different, though haha :smiley:
It’s all good, you always will have bad days where you can’t hit what you want. I will get my revenge!

1 Like

Technique is for cheaters, haha.

But @Koestrizer has the right idea. Bad days happen. I track bad day PRs, and if my bad day strength is better than my previous bad day, it’s still progress.

3 Likes

I am currently visiting my family (I may explain later im more detail).
So today I worked out at the very first gym I ever joined. It is far from special or good but I remember it fondly because it all started here. The owner knows me by name and lets me train for free. He was always very nice to me and I pay precise detail to his rules, because I don’t want to anger him, since he was always nice to me. That means I have to place thin mats under the plates when deadlifting and I have to lower the weights more carefully than I usually would so he doesn’t get in trouble with his neighbours for my loud deadlift noises.

1 Sumo deadlift (t&g)
Up to
1 @ 140 kg
1 @ 155 kg
5 + 1/2 @ 172,5 kg - was losing my strap as the set continued. As stated I wanted to avoid dropping at all costs. So I set it down gently after 5. Adjusted the strap and went for the scheduled 6th. After I passed the knees, I started shitting myself (literally). I opted to let down and concentrate on keeping my underwear clean. I was just in time to accomplish that but had to sacrifice the rep.

6 @ 172,5 kg - Fuck yes!
Both PRs btw.!

• Left hamstring/ glute was hurting/ cramping/ locking up after the set.

5 @ 160 kg - it is definitely the hamstring
5 @ 160 kg

• had to stop here as the pain in my hamstring got too bad. My body tried to work around my hamstring (with more back rounding) and I decided it’s not worth it for just another back off set. Skipped RDLs as welll

2 sl leg curls
3 x 8 with little weight

3 sl leg press
2 x 10 with little weight

4 seated cable row
3 x 10 with increasing weight. Did use only my right leg to support.

Notes:

• Well… I was kinda able to fullfill what coach Tim (still forgot last name) has said I should do over the next weeks. Apart from the back off work… But on the other hand, my hamstring is in significant pain. Don’t know if today was a win or loss … I guess it depends on if I find bruising on my leg tomorrow… Haha …
3 Likes

Here are today’s two top set. The kinda failed one and the revenge one. I feel like I have done a much better job looking at it as it looks like I am rounding over a bunch. In the other hand it feels like I am not pulling with my back at all and it is all hams and glutes. What do you guys think?

1 Like

I do not know if it’s good or bad man.
It looked strong. The second to last on the last set looked a bit like you lost the bracing. But I do not know, just my thoughts.
I do know that @khangles is very good at spotting things.

1 Like

Yeah looking at the speed of the first 5 reps of the first set, that looked promising. Weird thing is if I round my back a little I seem to pull a lot less with my back as if I keep it completely straight, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

I think I know what you mean, I do a bit of the same. I think it’s my bracing that’s not quite there.

It looks OK. On the second set maybe your bracing slackened a little but nothing too major.

I think I’ve heard of Tim O’Shea.

Just checked FB. I knew he was familiar. He MCs ProRaw.

1 Like

Lol thankyou for sharing and making me laugh this morning.

2 Likes

Your welcome, I guess I’m trying to keep it real, no matter what :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the deadlift review. Apart from my hamstring killing me right now, I think they felt about right.

Ah cool, that’s the guy who used to coach Wayne and who also reviews my deadlift videos. He also provided me with some numbers he thinks I should hit over the next weeks. Pretty nice of him since I don’t know him and never spoke to him.

2 Likes

Can’t really put pressure on the hamstring, it is sensitive to touch and I can’t put it in a stretched position. I am also noticeably limping. There is no bruising on the hamstring though, so I suppose it is badly pulled?
Anyone any tips to get it healed up quick?

Also you can’t Imagine how frustrated I am right now.

Not form related but if you’re gonna pull sumo I’d avoid touch and go. Also a front angle vid would be most informative

Skipping the breaking the bar off the floor bit of the lift will only make you weaker in that position and given that off the floor is already sumo’s sticking point it’s ill advised. Also you miss out on the opportunity to use every rep to practice your set up and start position (broken record but for sumo starting position is important af). At best with bounce and go the jarring effect will throw off your starting position for the next rep. At your level/skill would not recommend out/10.

Form wise from this angle it looks alright. Maybe brace your torso, maintain back position and tightness better. I won’t comment on individual reps that are sloppy because that’s a consistency issue. More just don’t rush, don’t be sloppy in any facet of the lift, practice consistency technique. I suspect there’ll be more to talk about with a front view.

1 Like

I have a front view a few posts up, from last week.

If you wanna try standing a smidge closer so you get shins perpendicular to the ground when the bar breaks off. You don’t have the best leverages for DLs. Bit pointless to stand wider trying to reduce range of motion from a long fucking way to a bit less but still a long fucking way.

@khangles thanks for the thorough deadlift review, it is appreciated!
I only started implementing t&g fairly recently and haven’t done it before that. It was the first time in a long time that my deadlift started moving. It is definitely working my hamstrings a bunch and building them up. I agree that it isn’t the best way to practise perfect starting positioning though. Keep in mind as well that I am not a powerlifter and therefore not going to do to a sumo deadlift in competition.

I agree about my less ideal leverage for lower body lifts. It is something that is annoying but that I can’t change. I’ll probably try standing a little closer.

2 Likes

IDGAF moving more weight more saferer more efficienter benefits all lifters.

1 Like

Love you khangles you’re a no BS man.

1 Like

True