Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Training with Wayne again. We get along very well, which is nice. A bonhs is it forces me to work on my English because he can’t speak German yet.

1 SSB box squat (in briefs)
1 @ 172 kg
1 @ 172 kg
1 @ 177 kg
1 @ 182 kg
1 @ 182 kg
1 @ 184.5 kg

2 yoke walk
25m @ 200 kg in 11.86 sec.
25m @ 200 kg in 11.86 sec.
25m @ 200 kg in 12.03 sec.
25m @ 200 kg in 11.74 sec.
25m @ 200 kg in 12.46 sec.

Notes:

• squats were feeling very good and explosive. 184.5 kg was still no struggle.
  • haven’t done yoke since the competition and it went better than I expected.
  • deload for the rest of the week now and then I’ll repeat the training cycle next week.
4 Likes

Deload training. Messed around with some stuff I don’t normally so or haven’t done in a long time. I promise the rest of this deload ist going to be more like a deload should be, but I just didn’t feel so bad up and have seen so many axle lifts lately that I wanted to try it again. I paid attention to my body though, so I wouldn’t over exert myself. Basically I stopped before it got really difficult. Which made the result all the more surprising.

1 Log Viper Press (clean every rep)
4 x 10 @ 45 kg

2 btn push press (beltless)
8 @ 60 kg
3 @ 80 kg

3 btn split jerk (beltless)
3 @ 80 kg

4 axle continental c&p
3 @ 56 kg
1 @ 66 kg
1 @ 76 kg
1 @ 86 kg
1 @ 91 kg
1 @ 96 kg - No doubt that I could have taken it past 100 kg. Was still not really that hard.

5 lat pull down
3 x 10

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blq-YurD2Ga7JyTu4vb8Ax9pUbVo3BzHyfZ_bk0/?hl=de&taken-by=k.schommer

Here is my final single on the axle from today. As you can see I only used an old gym belt and no wraps or sleeves. Today made me wonder what I can really put up in this movement. Sadly not a focus right now so we won’t know for a while.

1 Like

Deload training after late shift.

1 sumo deadlifts (doh, beltless)
20 @ 60 kg
20 @ 100 kg (had a one sec reset because my sweaty grip was slipping. Was also going very quick and kinda sloppy, to preserve my grip I guess)

2 Axle doh deadlifts (beltless)
1 @ 76 kg
1 @ 96 kg
1 @ 106 kg
0 @ 116 kg
0 @ 111 kg

3 axle squats (high bar, bare foot, beltless)
8 @ 36 kg
8 @ 56 kg
8 @ 76 kg

2 Likes

I first read this as

Also

5 Likes

20 reps… you’re insane man
DOH Homer style, had to reread that too.

Well it was a very light weight though. Doing this with 120+ kg would be the real challenge. This one was taxing my grip more than anything.

Haha I got a good laugh :smiley:

1 Like

Spent the day at a lake today and went to the cinema yesterday night. Girlfriend kinda dragged me out of the house, which I appreciate. I have been having some depression related problems after receiving unexpected setbacks in the last few days and felt like lying in bed, doing nothing 24/7 the last week.
Spending the day in the sun at the lake zapped my energy though.

1 Log lift (clean once)
6 x 5 @ 82,5 kg

2 strict press (First three beltless)
5 x 10 @ 47,5 kg

3 lat pull down
5 x 10 or so

4 seated dip machine
20 @ stack + 15 kg
20 @ stack + 25 kg

5 db waiter’s walk
2 x ca. 24m @ 32,5 kg (per arm)

6 tricep push downs
8 @ ?

7a pull aparts (no rest)

7b lateral raises (no rest)
10,7,6 @ 7,5 kg

8 curls

Notes:

• error 101: leg drive and core stability not found.
  • settled for +2,5 kg in comparison to last cycle as warm ups felt heavy
  • this was a true worker’s victory. Strength and technique were not showing up to the party. I couldn’t use my legs like I normally do. I just decided to be stubborn and convinced myself that as long as I wouldn’t accept defeat, I wouldn’t be defeated. Not the most intelligent thing to do.
4 Likes

That made me chuckle inside

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s not there, and when you have grinded the workout, it’s kind of satisfying. I think that these days pays back and gives you the PR’s later.

I hope so. It is a two sided medal though as those are workouts that can get you injured.
Still good for competition practise in my opinion.

2 Likes

Fuck me it is hot! Trained with Wayne (who isn’t as affected by the heat - damn Aussie) and my gf.

1 sumo deadlifts (t&g)
Up to
8 @ 150 kg
8 @ 160 kg
8 @ 145 kg
8 @ 145 kg

• couldn’t keep going. Glutes were so fatigued that lockig out properly became a struggle

2 rdl
12 @ 60 kg
10 @ 100 kg
10 @ 80 kg
12 @ 60 kg

3 wide ng cable rows
3 x 10

4 planked
3 x 30 sec with 10 sec rest

Notes:

• good day all in all. 160 kg was difficult but part of that is the heat
  • I am getting some help on my deadlifts from a very experienced coach. Wayne refers to him as Tim and says he is some kind of legend and a very successful coach as well as a personal friend of Ed Coan. Definitely won’t be hurting! Pretty nice of him for taking the time to review the videos of me that Wayne sends him.
2 Likes

My hamstrings ans glutes are so unbelievably sore. Upper back is trashed as well.
Morning training with Wayne.

1 bench press
3 @ 75 kg
3 @ 85 kg
6 @ 95 kg

2 slingshot bench press
1 @ 105 kg
3 @ 115 kg

3 bench press (back off)
10 @ 80 kg
8 @ 80 kg
10@ 60 kg (paused)

4 db incline bench press
3 x 40 @ 10 kg - No putting down, only resting as long as Wayne needed for his set.

5 one arm cable row
7 x 10

6 band pull aparts
5 x 30

4 Likes

My last deadlift top set from Sunday.

1 Like

Unusually hot. Very exhausting since I am not used to it.

1 Box squat (in briefs, regular bar)
5 @ 140 kg
5 @ 150 kg
5 @ 160 kg
5 @ 160 kg
5 @ 160 kg
5 @ 160 kg
5 @ 160 kg

2 Farmer’s Walk (weights per hand)
2 x 20 m @ 65 kg
2 x 20 m @ 85 kg
20 m @ 105 kg
20 m @ 110 kg - PR!

3 tire flips
3,3,4, 4

Notes:

• lost grip with my right thumb right away on my PR run. Held it in the fingertips of the remaining fingers and barely made it to the finish line somehow. Very happy that I was able to do this. Establishes confident, even just the deadlift part.
  • very difficult to get a grip on that tire if it is laying flat on the tartan track
3 Likes

That’s how the box squats looked. I am pretty pleased. I think I did a good job with sitting back this time

3 Likes

Looking good to me man, but I really don’t know how to do them :slight_smile:
I’m thinking of trying boxsquat out at some point.
Do you sit back on the box, and kind of letting the tension out of the legs, before getting up?

I should have taken this day off. I knew it going in but otherwise I couldn’t have trained with Wayne anymore before I leave town and I wouldn’t have access to a log in 2 weeks. Still nothing felt right or worked Like it should today.

1 log lift (clean once)
2 @ 87,5 kg
3 @ 85 kg
3 @ 85 kg
3 @ 87,5 kg - tried nose tork for the First time here
3 @ 85 kg
2 @ 85 kg

2 strict press
8 @ 60 kg
4 x 8 @ 60 kg

3a+b
Going back between a 45° row and lat pull down without rest until we couldn’t get any reps

Notes:

• some super ugly presses today. Weight didn’t move at all like it is supposed to.
  • can we please all pretend like this didn’t happen? Please guys.
  • I am not too mad though. Can’t expect to have only good days. I’ll rest for two days now and get after my deadlifts. Hopefully my body will forgive me the ugly technique of today
1 Like

Yeah you really want to sit your hips back as far as possible (think vertical shin angle). You then take some tension out of the hip flexors (which is why you see a lot of people rock back and forth). It is important to keep your bracing while you sit on the box. I would chose a bit of a wider stance than your normal squat and I wouldn’t squat to depth. A bit above parallel is good I think but it also depends on your reasoning of why you want to implement them in the first place.

4 Likes