Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Calm down mane. you better hook up with @Pinkylifting and hit up some gay bars in Bendigo and Dandenong or something

2 Likes

I don’t get it

Sorry mane um let me pull it up for you so there’s context so you can join in the lels

Also @guineapig’s got access to a sexy strongman gym and shows it off in his log but isn’t going to use any of the cool toys becoz he is powerlifter. Absolutely triggering?

1 Like

Will neglect all the strongman toys.

Haha okay now it makes a lot more sense :smiley:

1 Like

Lats, chest, shoulders, triceps very sore still.
All the accessories today!

1 Sumo deadlifts (beltless, doh)
Up to
5 x 3 @ 120 kg

2 pendlay row (back to regular bb), t&g + rest pause
3 x 20 @ 60 kg

3 hip thrusts
80 kg x 10
90 kg x 10
100 kg x 15

4a toes elevated rdl with dbs
30 kg x 15
40 kg x 12

4b Side Planke
45 sec
7,5 kg x 45 sec

5 db row
40 kg x 10 each arm

Sauna and steam room.

Notes:

• good workout overall
  • I know a lot of guys joke about hip thrusts but minus getting into position, I liked them
  • Also: Do you follow Bret Contreras on instagram? He features a lot of his female clients on there and it is ridiculous what kind of weight some of them are using for hip thrusts. Especially in comparison to deadlifts and squats. Which would rise the question of the effectiveness of hip thrusts. They seem to hit my wak point though, so I will give them a shot.
  • didn’t really like the rdls. Couldn’t feel anything. Weight should have been high enough. Weird.
1 Like

I found for RDL to feel you need to lower weight, not increase it.

Okay I will give it a shot again. The 30 kg were really really light though.

Then try with a barbell? I tried DBs for a bit and they were hit and miss. With a barbell, pushing the bar away on the descent with toes elevated worked a ton better.

Okay thanks, I think that might be the better option. We will see next week.

1 Like

1 push press
90 kg x 3 - weird
92,5 kg x 3 - easy
95 kg x 3 - normal
97,5 kg x 0 - see below *
90 kg x 3
92,5 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
80 kg x 3 FAIL, kinda dropped the bar forward

2 axle strict press
46 kg x 10 - Last two were incline reps
46 kg x 8
46 kg x 5 - lost patience and went with minimal pause

3a lat pull down
60 kg x 10, 10, 10, 10
50 kg x 10,

3b cable lateral raises
5 kg x 12, 12, 12 (lightest weight in the stack)

4a face pulls with hold
2 x 15

4b Long ass bicep curl dropset
1 x

Notes:

• I psyched myself out. I can’t explain it any better. Right before I started, doubt shot into my head. I just lost confidence. From one moment to the other I didn’t believe that I can do it. I doubt that I lacked the strength. This was a really weird moment.
  • Bad day today. Not really related to the workout.
  • I may take a break from the high weight push presses and focus on volume instead for a while. I don’t know how to fit strict presses in that concept though. Another Idea would be to cycle log, push press and strict press.
1 Like

Just a couple thoughts from a guy who’s not as strong as you:

You could use a 5/3/1 type of deal to cycle through the 3 variations. Use that 4th week deload to determine a good TM for the next cycle’s variation and keep changing up the supplemental work for to keep it from getting stale.

For push and strict in the same workout, I’d prefer to do my strict pressing first and then use push press as assistance work. If I go the other way I pretty much have no gas left for strict pressing.

Doesn’t matter to me. I certainly don’t claim to be overly intelligent when it comes to training, so every input is welcome.

Might work and would definitely keep things interesting. How would I progress then? Usually you up your TM from cycle to cycle but if I change the exercises around that wouldn’t work well.

Might also be worth a try. I figured one is going to suffer, no matter what I do. Since I value my push press higher, I just started with it.

Options are:

1. Stick with push press: Go higher volume, kinda what @strongmanvinny2 suggested.
  2. rotate the three press exercises something like 5x5 (w1 log, w2 strict, w3 push), 5 x 3, 5 x 1. Resulting in a 9 week training cycle.
  3. rotate the three, using 5/3/1 scheme, like @mr.v3lv3t suggested.

Yeah it’d be a bit tricky to track progress if you’re constantly rotating, and I’ve never used a log before so no idea what the carryover there would be like. But, my line of thinking is that if you keep track of your rep PR’s you can gauge where your progress is. Say your TM for your second press cycle is 2.5kg higher than the last but your beat your rep PR’s by like 4-5 each you’ve gotten much stronger right?

Other wise, this is how I trained my press earlier this year and I really enjoyed the sessions. Not sure why I haven’t gone back to this lol.

Press:
Some kind of heavy work - ramping to a 1-3RM, using 3/2/1 waves, 1/3 ratchets, or singles/doubles/triples at 90+% for about 10 total reps.
Then a couple back off sets: 80-85% of days top set - 1x6, 1xAMRAP

Push press:
Depending on the day: 90-100% of days top set - 2x3, 1xAMRAP

I get a ton out of leg drive so despite the fact my shoulder were pretty cooked this was a lot of fun.

1 Like

I’m currently rotating log push jerks with barbell strict each week. You could try to do the same, and just start with a hypertrophy block, then a medium block, then a heavier block. Sorta how I do it, but it’s subject to change based on how I feel.

I feel like rotating 3 variations is a bit too much, but it’s up to you. 3 just feels too diluted. I feel there’s a great relationship between log and axle/barbell and picking one being trained heavier with more dynamism and the other more static. Just my 2 cents!

Oh also, sometimes after hitting PR’s, you just kind of have to let things be stagnant for a while and be okay with it. Service it with a deload or just some grindy training. Nothing wrong with getting psyched out and failing a lift here and there (or often even, happens sometimes).

Btw, if you feel nervous before a set, stop. Step back and chill for a bit and get your head in a better spot, then try again. I’ve passed out with submax weights on front squats or overhead, only to crush it and MORE weight after by just letting my nerves subside.

1 Like

Thanks once again, Vinny! Always happy about your advice.

I think I will also rotate log and strict press for about 10 weeks, until my deadlift program is through and then I will most likely try a full body strongman plan that I recently found.

1 Like

So I have had some time at work today and planned my yearly training for 2018 in advance. This is something that I have not done before and I think that is a mistake.

I set out some not too ambitious but realistic goals:
Deadlift: 190 kg
Squat: 160 kg
Push Press: 110 kg
Log Lift: 95 kg
Bench press: 125 kg
Push Ups: 40
Chin Ups: 8

This is how I anticipate to reach those goals:

1. From now until the end of march 2018 I will:

Deadlift: Presume the “simple deadlift program” from this site. This is what I am currently doing. Ends with a max out.

Squat: 5x5 (what I am doing now) + tapering and peaking once 5x5 stalls. Will test max when the point comes

Press: Rotate log lifts and strict press weekly. Starting with high volume - taper - peak. Will probably max out at some point.

Bench: 5/3/1 (what I am doing currently). Max test at the end.

1. From April/ end of march on:

The full body strongman program that I recently found. Going to do 2 cycles of this (6 weeks) + 1 week max tests

1. From mid May to the end of 2018:
    The newly published 5/3/1 for strongman on Elitefts.

This should work out with my goals. The question will of course be if I will compete or not.

4 Likes

1 squat
Up to
5 x 5 @ 112,5 kg

2 pause deadlifts (beltless)
5 x 3 @ 112,5 kg

3 SSB front squat (beltless)
52 kg x 17

4a 45° Leg Press
x 1 minute work (came down to 30 reps and a wicked quad Pump

4b hanging Leg raise

4c lying leg curls
50 kg x 20

5 paloff press
2 x 10 each side

Notes:

• Back squats were pretty easy but my hip/ back started acting a little strange in the warm ups and it went on throughout the workout.
  • on the front squats:: didn’t completely pass out but came close. Fought very hard for my breath but the damn padding was pushing so hard against my throat that I ultimately gave up. I think I will rather try the straight bar next time.
    My legs would have had this. Used my regular back squat stance this time. It is less deep this way but feels a ton better and lets me use my glutes more.
2 Likes

Front squat = choking and dizziness. On the plus side, that means the bar is in the right position…

2 Likes