Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Trained at the end of a long day. Back was probably not as recovered as I initially thought but I only noticed it when I progressed in weights. There was no pain or discomfort, it just wasn’t fully recovered.

1 Trap bar deadlifts
66 kg x bunch
106 kg x 5
126 kg x 3
146 kg x 2
156 kg x 1
166 kg x 2
176 kg x 2 - PR? Don’t know
181 kg x 1
3 x 5 @ 146 kg

2a pendlay rows with the axle
66 kg x 6
76 kg x 6
76 kg x 6
56 kg x 20

2b Side Planke
3 x 1 min

2c sl hamstring curls
3 x 10 @ 50 kg (Stack)

3a hozontal back raises
3 x 15 @ 30 kg

3b Planke
3 x 1 min

4 concept rower
Few minutes

Notes:

• funny things first: I had flatulences from eating a lot of beans. It was giving me difficulties when deadlifting. When I set up for the 181 kg I felt very uncomfortable. Just as I tried to pull the first rep my stomach struck. I couldn’t finish the rep, had to wait - still strapped in - and pull again. The rep was successfull but I was to spend to get another. So this was the story of how beans and my gut cost me a PR.
  • unfortunately it seems like I strained my back a little. We will have to wait for tomorrow to know more.
2 Likes

Lifting after beans is a dangerous affair. I once farted mid squat and the sound/smell combo threw me into a laughing fit. Had to bail on the set and collect myself. I’ve got a childish sense of humor.

2 Likes

I did this recently with the heaviest weight I’ve had on my back, needless to say it was risky business. It was more that I didn’t want to keep bracing hard in case it happened again or worse and the gym wasn’t exactly quiet.

2 Likes

All in a day’s work

I have routinely farted when squatting. Either it’s when I unrack, in which case I have to reset and take my air again, or it’s in the hole which is just distracting. Benching and DLing it generally happens during the lift and is just funny.

2 Likes

We have all been there. But it messes with my bracing and my concentration.

5 Likes

I feel very tired. Trained in my lunch break today. I have a split shift today and have a lot of time in between but mit so much that I would get a lot from going home.

1 bench press
65 kg x 5 (forgot that it was supposed to be 3 reps)
75 kg x 5 (forgot that it was supposed to be 3 reps)
85 kg x 7

2 slingshot bench press
100 kg x 3
105 kg x 3

3 db bench press
40 kg x 4
35 kg x 8
35 kg x 8
30 kg x 8
22,5 kg x 12

4 Seated cable row
60 kg x 10
70 kg x 10
80 kg x 8
90 kg x 4 (this was too heavy)
55 kg x 10
55 kg x 10
55 kg x 10

5 Face pulls
5 x 20

Notes:

• bench has gotten very (!) weak. It is what it is. I am not overly concerned. It is just time to get stronger again
1 Like

Actually it doesn’t seem like I strained my back after all. The soreness today is pretty mild. Milder than usual after heavy deadlifting. So that is good. I still feel the Impact on my CNS, especially combined with sub par sleep.

4 Likes

Still felt DOMS/ soreness in my erectors. Somehow it didn’t recover well.

1 squats
5x5 @ 105 kg

2 pause deadlifts
5 x 3 @ 107,5 kg

3 one legged hip thrusts
3 x 10

4 ab wheel roll outs
15, 12, 12

Notes:

• squats looked very good and felt decent.
  • Back soreness became more noticeable during the workout which is why I used a belt for deadlifts today.
  • it was also the reason I decided against lunges. There is nothing really wrong with my back but sometimes playing it safe ist the better option.
1 Like

1 push press
up to
80 kg x 2
90 kg x 2
95 kg x 2
97,5 kg x 2
100 kg x 1 - failed 2nd
100 kg x 0
95 kg x 2
95 kg x 1 - failed 2nd
90 kg x 2
90 kg x 4

2 lat pull down
60 kg x 10
70 kg x 8
65 kg x 8
60 kg x 8

3 axle strict press
36 kg x 8
46 kg x 8
51 kg x 7
46 kg x 8

4 trx row
4 x 15

5 reverse flys
4 x 12 @ 36 kg

Conditioning:
4 rounds of:
30 sec battle rope + 8 db snatches per arm @ 15 kg

Notes:

• I am done with boosters. I feel horrible and it has no positive side effect. It doesn’t even wake me up or something
  • I have used a bar without center knurling… Note to self: NEVER DO THAT AGAIN YOU IDIOT! I may have hurt myself in the back, left shoulder, left elbow (three points - got to be a PR) just because this stupid bar kept sliding around my chest which fucked up both the pressing and the catching of the bar
  • fuck I have gotten weak.
3 Likes

Really not proud of these but I thought I might share them anyway because transparency and shit?:

1 Like

I can’t really decided what deadlift variation I should do now for my max effort day: High block pulls with the axle or sumo deadlifts with briefs?

1 Like

Of course there are no rules, but;

Feet close last week (trap bar). Feet wide this week(Sumo).

3 Likes

Ended up skipping the gym today. Life happened. I may skip tomorrow again. Don’t know yet. Back and stuff is okay, I could have deadlifted in regards to how my body feels.

Happy cake day!

Thanks, I don’t see myself leaving, so there will be more to come.

2 Likes

Trained early before work. Somehow I seem to be more affected by lack of sleep than I used to be.

1 sumo deadlifts
up to
120 kg x 2
140 kg x 1 - SLOW
150 kg x 1 - slowmotion
160 kg x 1- any slower and time would start to go backwards
165 kg x 0
3 x 5 @ 130 kg

2a axle pendlay rows (mix of t&g and rest pause)
56 kg x 8
66 kg x 8
76 kg x 8

2b side planke
3 x 1 min each side

2c lying leg curls (switched to the bilateral machine)
50 kg x 10
60 kg x 10
70 kg x 8

3 static hold with the axle (doh)
96 kg x 30 seconds

4a 45° back raises
2 x 12 @ 35 kg (holding a db)

4b half kneeling paloff press
2 x 6 (5 sec hold at locked arms)

Notes:

• well what can I say? I just shrug it off. There is nothing to gain from complaining over and over.
  • the limiting factor for the sumo deads are my hamstrings, I am pretty sure about that
  • I am starting to get run down… I have a lot of stress right now (which I might go into later) and training is taking its toll. I will do one more week because my training cycles for bench and push press are at their end then and after that I will deload
2 Likes

I finally had a realisation today. I will stop comparing myself to previous strength levels and achievements. What good is it to always think “today I did this and that but 5 months ago I could do 20 kg more!”
I have to accept the point that I am at right now and just have to work on getting better again. From now on I will not judge the result of a workout by comparing it to other workouts I did in the past few months.

Trained in my lunch break again. My girlfriend joined ne, which was nice.

1 bench press
70 kg x 5
80 kg x 3
90 kg x 6

2 slingshot bench press
105 kg x 1
112, 5 kg x 1
120 kg x 1

3 db bench
35 kg x 8
35 kg x 8
35 kg x 8

4 Seated cable row
60 kg x 10
65 kg x 10
70 kg x 10
75 kg x 8
80 kg x 8
60 kg x 10
60 kg x 10
60 kg x 10

3a face pulls
20, 15, 15

3b closeish Push ups
10, 8, 6

3c biceps curls
12, 12, 12

3a-c performed as a circuit without rest between rounds

Notes:

• good effort in the slingshot bench today. Everything else went decent
5 Likes

I’m definitely behind in your log, but looking at the past few workouts a lot has jumped out to me.

Keep pushing this hard and something is going to break! Work smarter, not harder.

Yep, reading your sets hurts me sometimes.

You’re setting yourself up for disaster here. If 140kg was slow, you had no reason to add weight to the bar. I’m sort of out of the loop with this log at the moment, are you following a program or auto-regulating? I’m not sure if auto-regulating is the best approach for your training mentality. I am similar and seem to hurt myself when left to my own devices (pushing too hard).

Failing at all will drain you, failing SEVERAL times in one week is wayyy less than optimal.

This is a better way to think…BUT…you have to actually put this into practice. If you’re auto-regulating don’t go into your workouts with a weight in mind. Go into your workouts with an RPE in mind. “I’m going to work up until I hit a 3RM near 8-8.5 RPE”

Again, maybe it’s the program that is calling for it but is there a reason you’re stuck on hitting these heavy singles and working up to/near/past a 1RM?

6 Likes

Fair and accurate assessment.
Man you are pretty spot in. These are all thing that I should know and notice myself. I partially have but ignored it.

My workouts have been driven of emotion lately. No clear judgement, just rage/ fear/ frustration, mainly negative stuff.

The only workouts I enjoy at the moment are my squat workouta and lately the bench press because I follow a sustainable program and use relatively light weights. So I don’t even enjoy going this heavy with my push press and deadlifts. It also obviously isn’t serving me that well either…

The push presses are auto regulated (with poor actual execution) and the deadlifts are part of a max effort day, but I don’t think that this is working and I will chose a program for my deadlifts now.

I might go back to 5/3/1 because it is one of the few programs that I know and that I can use.

1 Like