Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

1 incline bench press
up to
70 kg x 2
80 kg x 1
90 kg x 0 !!!
90 kg x 1
92,5 kg x 0

2 slingshot bench
3 x 3 @ 110 kg

3 swiss bar bench
50 kg x 10
70 kg x 10

4 seated cable row
60 kg x 10
65 kg x 10
70 kg x 8
75 kg x 6
80 kg x 5
50 kg x 10

5 face pulls
3 x 20 @ 25 kg

6 db flat bench
32,5 kg x 10
30 kg x 9

1 Like

I feel like I hit my personal rock bottom in training. I don’t mean that because of today’s workout or one of the other workouts this week or last… I just can’t remember that training was ever this bad and this dissatisfying.

Let’s look at some recent lifts and compare them.

Ssb squat best: 132 kg x 3 → recently failed the third double at 112 kg
Best slingshot bench: 135 kg + best close grip bench raw for reps: 110 kg x 6 → barely completed a 3 x 3 in a slingshot today.
Best deadlift: 180 kg with axle → well you all know…

And that is without a noteworthy injury.

Actually I think most of what is going wrong is in my head. These days I am going into the gym a defeated man. I am beat up mentally before I start the workout. You can’t say that my head isn’t in it. It is but is working against me. I see before me where I am failing and how I got weaker and how my progress is not what it should be like. This negative image and poisonous thoughts are stuck in my head and my depression is thriving and nourishing on it.
This affects my mood in and outside the gym noticeably and gives my depression (which is very much under control otherwise at the moment) some ground to feed on.

I am not sure what is going on and what let to this…
…more stress?
…change/ lack of social life due to moving?
…changed training conditions? (Gym vs. my beloved cheese factory)
…am I not training good or hard enough?

Not sure. Probably a combination of all of the above.

What have I changed training wise and how do I go forward?

Squat:
I used to go pretty heavy very regularly using 1-5 reps and then back down sets. Maybe I should get back there.

Deadlift:
This has been discussed.

Bench:
My best gains came from using 5/3/1 with the slingshot as joker sets.

Overhead:
I will go back to the push press and use the log as an assistance movement every once in a while. I will use the template that Vinny gave me awhile back. It worked great.

Whatever is going on, it needs to stop!
I need to get my head fucking streight and climb back up on step at a time!
I need to stop beating myself up over numbers!
I need to see the positive sight of my training again and remind myself what I am doing, why I am doing it and what this sport has given me.

P.S.: On a side note, I would love to have a coach who takes out the guess work and helps to keep me on track. Unfortunately that is too expensive

3 Likes

These can all kind of play off each other as well and exasperate things further. I moved about a year ago and experienced a bit of the same. What worked for me was to completely alter how I was training until I got it sorted out.

Maybe you go back to what has worked for you in the past. Maybe you take 2-3 months and do something completely different.

Fortunately you seem to have a pretty good following on here which may be the next best thing!

3 Likes

I know you like to really push yourself but you seem to be running yourself into the ground on a lot of your workouts recently and have been preparing for competitions a fair bit without much of a deload. Perhaps just take a week off and see if you feel better for it, maybe just walk a lot or something.

1 Like

I think you touched on the issue when you wondered if you aren’t training well enough. If you’re moving backwards, something isn’t right. You’re putting in the time and effort, so if results aren’t forthcoming it follows that how you’re putting in the effort may be the problem.

I figure you have a few options:

1. Take some time off and pick up where you left off. Pros: you’re familiar with the training and how to run it. Cons: you’ll be wondering if anything will be different, and may experience the same issues;
  2. Take a long step back, look at what is letting your indicator and comp lifts down and spend some time bringing those weaknesses up. Pros: it’ll be a change of pace and if you do it right is almost guaranteed to work. Cons: you’ll need to figure out exactly what it is that’s holding you back or you’ll spend time barking up the wrong tree; and
  3. Take two to three months to train completely differently for a while. Pros: it’ll be a mental and physical break and you’ll probably strengthen weak points simply by doing stuff you haven’t done. Cons: there’s no guarantee it’ll boost your lifts the way you want, but then again what you’re currently doing isn’t exactly helping either.
4 Likes

And I am truly thankful for that.

2 Likes

The strange thing is that I physically feel pretty good… I also don’t feel “run down” like I do when I hit training hard non stop.

2 Likes

All valid suggestions. The problem right now is that I have spent so much time preparing for competitions back to back that I already spent a lot of time away from the way I normally train and have solely focused on the specific events that were required. As a result it is understandable that my squat has suffered a bit and that my bench has suffered a lot. The deadlift is a little less understandable.
I hope to get a break by changing things up slightly and also returning to some principles that have worked in the past.

You all have suggested taking time off and I can understand why. I just don’t think that this is helping me mentally. It would drive me even more nuts.

3 Likes

Btw. I ordered some used Titan NGX+ Briefs size 46 today that should come here next week. I thought for 20€ shipping included I couldn’t do much wrong.

2 Likes

Maybe this is your issue man? in a way, it sounds like you are in a constant “peak”, or testing/SPP, and could use some time just building/GPP

3 Likes

This is absolutely part of it. No doubt. Not sure if it really is the main factor though.

1 Like

1 squat
5 x 5 @ 100 kg

2 paused deadlifts (beltless)
8 x 3 @ 100 kg

3a SSB Reverse lunges
3 x 5 each leg @ 42 kg

3b Ab wheel roll outs
3 x 8

Notes:

• finally a workout that I feel good about
  • felt less pressure mentally.
  • 100 kg was pretty easy for the squats, which I intended. I will build slowly from here.
4 Likes

Yesterday’s training.

1 Push Press
80 kg x 5
80 kg x 5
85 kg x 5
90 kg x 5
92,5 kg x 5 - probably PR. Had more in the tank, which is good considering all the prior sets.
80 kg x 8

2 smith machine shoulder press
40 kg x 8
45 kg x 8
50 kg x 8

3 Lat pull down
55 kg x 10
60 kg x 10
65 kg x 8
70 kg x 6
40 kg x 12

4 Reverse flys
32 kg x 15
36 kg x 12
41 kg x 10
45,5 kg x 6
27,5 kg x 15

5 db Press (seated, no back support), done as drop set
20 kg x 11
10 kg x 10

6 Seated cable 45° row
12, 10, 10

Notes:

• another good training :slight_smile: which makes me really happy.
2 Likes

First edition of my max effort deadlift day.

1 sumo deadlift
60 kg x 5
80 kg x 5
100 kg x 3
110 kg x 2
120 kg x 1
130 kg x 1
140 kg x 1
150 kg x 1
160 kg x 1
3 x 5 @ 130 kg

2a pendlay rows with the axle
56 kg x 8
66 kg x 8
76 kg x 6

2b side planke
3 x 45 sec

2c single leg hamstring curl
40 kg x 10
45 kg x 10
50 kg x 8 (stack of the machine)

All three were done as a circuit, only resting to change plates.

3 static hold with the axle
76 kg x not timed

4a horizontal back raises
3 x 20 @ 20 kg plate pressed to my chest

4b ab wheel roll outs
3 x 12

Notes:

• I feel like this was a productive workout
  • I think I did okay on the sumo deads, I had a problem with the bar drifting away from me and I might have actually done more of a conventional deadlift with a very wide stance but it is all okay.
  • 160 kg is nowhere near a PR but I was pretty fatigued going into this workout and also I wanted to play it safe. The way I plan to do these max effort workouts is to stay away from failure as best as I can.
  • 3 x 5 with 130 kg was okay. A little more difficult than expected but it felt good.
3 Likes

today’s workout and push press from yesterday:

1 Like

Your sumo looks OK. You’re not super upright, but you’re not really moving the bar off the floor with your back as far as I can tell. Just work on getting behind the bar more and moving it off the floor by pushing your feet and knees out.

1 Like

Thanks for the review!

Feeling like shit today. Had a headache for about 8 unbroken hours yesterday and felt ill from the stomach. Still feeling not good today but I can not really sort out what exactly is wrong. Hopefully I won’t get sick.
Therefore scaled back on my workout significantly today and will rest up tomorrow.
Everything felt off anyway bench pressing.

1 Bench press
60 kg x 5
70 kg x 5
80 kg x 10

2 slingshot bench
90 kg x 5
100 kg x 5

3 DB bench
30 kg x 8
40 kg x 4 - ok I should have known that this is a bad idea today.
30 kg x 10
30 kg x 10

4 face pulls
5 x 15 @ 20 kg

1 squat
5x5 @ 102,5 kg

2 box squats in briefs
tried around a bunch with free squats and a db bench as a box. The box squats were well above parallel. Maybe more like a half squat. I don’t have low boxes and in general it was hard to reach depth without my hips getting pulled forward (buttwink) and my knees tracking forward more than necessary.
Most noteworthy:
60 kg x bunch
100 kg x 2 or 3
120 kg x 2
130 kg x 1

2 paused deadlifts (beltless)
6 x 3 @ 105 kg

3a ssb reverse lunges
3 x 5 each leg

3b deadbug
3 x ?

Notes:

• first the briefs: They pinched a ton and I have some good bruises on my legs. They are painful but not terrible. With my regular stance width they throw me off like I tried to describe above. Also they don’t seem to add a lot of support to my squat. I actually enjoyed the box squats though and I think this would make a solid max effort movement. I will definitely keep on trying stuff with them even though I might not get something out of them in the end. I still do not regret the purchase, at least I now can make this experience like I wanted.
  • squats felt solid, set 4 felt best. I enjoy this slow progression adn everything felt easy
  • deadlifts on the other hand actually felt very hard! Even if you only pause slightly it makes the movement super difficult. I feel like I can get a lot out of these, even with the low weight. I might start using my belt in 1-3 weeks for this.
  • the lunges were hard and I think I reached my limit. I might progress one more time and use my belt. Otherwise the risks start outweighing the rewards soon.

Video of squats and deadlifts:

Video of me trying out my titan briefs:

1 Like

1 push press
up to
80 kg x 3
85 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
95 kg x 2
95 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
80 kg x 6

2 trap bar ohp
46 kg x 6

3 smith machine seated shoulder press
30 kg x 8
40 kg 8
50 kg x 6
40 kg x 8
30 kg x 10
20 kg x 12

4 lat pull down (neutral wide grip)
60 kg x 10
65 kg x 8
70 kg x 6
75 kg x 4
50 kg x 10
50 kg x 10
50 kg x 10

5 reverse flys
36 kg x 10
41 kg x 10
32 kg x 12
32 kg x 12
18 kg x 20

5 db hammer curls
20 kg x max
12,5 kg x max

Notes:

• pretty solid training
  • lacked a little stability and explosiveness because of yesterday’s lower body training so that makes today even more succesful
  • had a small technical error on my first set of 95 kg. The second was no struggle at all.
  • we are getting there!
4 Likes