Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Didn’t log yesterday’s training session.

1 deadlift
50 kg x 5
80 kg x 5
110 kg x 5
125 kg x 1
140 kg x 1
150 kg x 5
150 kg x 3
150 kg x 3
140 kg x 5

2 banded pause squat
5 x 3 @ 80 kg + bands

3 side holds (barbell)
50 kg x 25 sec.
70 kg x 12 sec (balance, not grip gave out)

4 barbell shrugs
110 kg x 10
130 kg x 9

5 cable side hold
stack x 25 sec.
stack + 20 kg x 25 sec.
stack + 35 kg x 35 sec.

6 Roll Outs
3 x 8

7 TABATA sprints on slight incline treadmill

Notes:

• deadlifts were MUCH harder than anticipated. I mean it is only 150 kg. Also I didn’t seem to find my hip position. Started too low and tried to correct it in the second set but the first took a lot out of me. Deadlifts are really not on point right now but I don’t have them in comp so I should be fine for now.
  • squats felt awesome but it was very light weight
  • pretty sure TABATA sprints on the treadmill are the devil. This was horrible for me since I am such a laughably bad runner.
  • birthday celebraions are over, I am fat and I am ready to drill in my nutrition better now.

Work capacity has definitely improved. Likely because I am doing more conditioning and I have also added low impact cardio in the form of 1-2 hour walks through the surrounding nature (great way to relax and get in some active recovery).

1 keg clean and press
60.8 kg x 5 (one motion)
60.8 kg x 3 (not one motion)
60.8 kg x 5 (one motion)
60.8 kg x 5 (one motion)

2 keg carry
carry for 10 meter, set down and pick up again… 8 x 10 meter (no rest between rounds)

3 arm over arm pull with my car
bunch

Notes:

• most difficult part about the car pull is the rope I am using. It is just sliding through my hands.
  • keg clean and presses are coming along great. I have more in me with this weight.

Video of the first set of clean and press:

Officially and finally moved to Munich now. So I guess this is the first workout in my new gym. And also I am finally reunited with my strongman equipment.

1 Log lift
Full reps
75 kg x 1
85 kg x 1
75 kg x 4
Press away
75 kg x 6
Full reps
75 kg x 3
75 kg x 3
65 kg x 5
Press away
65 kg x 10

2 T-bar row chest supported
3 x 40 kg x 8

3 Lat pull down
12, 12, 12

4 banded incline bench press
50 kg + band tension x 5
60 kg + band tension x 3
70 kg + band tension x 3
80 kg + band tension x 3
50 kg x 10

5 Reverse DB flys
3 x 15 @ 7,5 kg

6 lateral raises
2 x 15 @ 7,5 kg

Notes:

• damn I could certainly feel that In haven’t used the log in a while.
  • also full reps are awful. All the conditioning work ist seemingly not doing much there. Probably because of my awful diet and not pushing enough

Didn’t log yesterday’s training. Visited a smaller CrossFit Box with a lovely setup and most importantly some good strongman stuff. Owner gave me a good deal if I want to visit more often. It is too far away to go regularely but good for moving events. The farmer’s implements we’re a little weird. One had very aggressive knurling and the other one had no knurling at all.

1 Farmer’s walk
Ca. 26 m with turn @ 160 kg
Ca. 26 m with down and repick @ 160 kg
Ca. 26 m with down and repick @ 180 kg
Ca. 26 m with down and repick @ 180 kg and static hold

2 Farmer’s hold
180 kg x 33 sec Left hand on smooth grip
180 kg x 34 sec right hand on smooth grip

3 Farmer’s deadlift
180 kg x 5 (straps)

4 Stone to shoulder
115 lbs x 4
3 x 2 @ 145 lbs

5 Parallel Box squat
3 x 2 @ 120 kg

6 Snatch grip deadlift
60 kg x 5
100 kg x 5
120 kg x 5

7 Power Cleans
60 kg x 10

8 GHR Back raises
2 x 15

9 air assault bike
1 min sprint

1 Like

1 Log lift (full reps)
65 kg x 2
75 kg x 5
75 kg x 4
Log lift (clean once and press away)
75 kg x 6
65 kg x 8

2 Lat pull down
4 x 10

3 Bench press
90 kg x 7
90 kg x 5
80 kg x 5

4 Seated row
4 x 10

5 One arm db press
2 x 12 @ 20 kg

6 db reverse flys
7,5 kg x 20, 15, 15

7 db hammer curls
20 kg x 10

Notes:

• forearms and grip was still smoked.
  • generally feeling kind of sluggish and tired. Maybe it is all the moving and work in the new flat. Maybe not enough sleep… Definitely ready for my pre comp. deload week.
  • the 5 reps of 75 kg were done in about 45 seconds. Hopefully going to get some good results in the medley.
  • and ah yeah: full reps are awful in the log!

Top set of yesterday’s full reps on the log :

1 Like

I competed today in the Sport Enzinger Cup in Salzburg, organised by well known Austrian Strongman Martin Wildauer.
My full write up will follow in video format next week, like the last time.
It was an interesting experience like always but I am not really satisfied. I completely failed the farmer’s walk, which should have been my strongest discipline.

I ended up placing 26th Out of 36 or 37 competitors and 6th out of 7 in my weight class (open category/ 105+ kg).

Generally this competition leaves me with a lot thoughts about how I want to continue in the sport and how I want to move forward.
I will update once I get pictures and videos and once I think about everything and get my head clear.

1 Like

I will include amount of calories and weight going forward. To hold me accountable.
I don’t track vegetables unless they have significant calorie amounts. So the actual number in carbs is a bit higher.

Calories consumed today: 3203 kcal
Protein: 198 g
Carbs: 391 g
Fat: 90 g

Didn’t weigh myself. I weighed in at my contest Saturday afternoon at 113,8 kg. After yesterday’s epic cheat meals I suppose it is a good bit more today.

1 Like

Weight this morning: 114,3 kg
Calories consumed today: 3932 kcal
Carbs: 505 g
protein: 262 g
fat: 90 g

1 Like

Back to training. I am getting a little bit sick.

1 Log lift (clean once)
6 x 5 @ 65 kg

2 Push Press
3 x 5 @ 85 kg

3 Lat pull down
5 x 10

4 Seated cable row
5 x 12

5 seated db press
25 kg x 12
25 kg x 9

6 lateral raises
3 x 15 @ 7,5 kg dbs

Notes:
-fast paced workout even without super sets

• Skipper conditioning because of the upcoming cold that I Hope to dodge.
  • decided to make my program more strongman specific and used the log as the main movement. I will also use the SSB bar for squats and the incline bench instead of the regular bench
2 Likes

Weight was 113.8 kg this morning.
Tracking was pretty impossible for the second half of the day. First my girlfriend cooked something that I could hardly track and then we went to the Oktoberfest and I admit that my food choices became pretty bad from there on.

I have a full blown cold now. It affected me more than I would have thought.

1 deadlift (beltless)
140 kg x 1, 2
6 x 5 @ 125 kg

2 snatch grip deadlift (beltless)
3 x 5 @ 90 kg

3 phsyio ball roll outs
3 x 10

4 side planke
3 x 45 sec. each side

Notes:

• I initially planned to use 140 kg for the 6 sets of deadlifts. I thought I could just start where I left off on deadlifts. I was very wrong. Also the cold played its part. Went beltless to still make it challenging. 125 kg urned out to be enough… ouh man…
  • I think my figure 8 straps are a size too large for regular barbell pulling. Might be perfect for the axle so

Consumed 3316 kcal today.
197 g Protein
113 g carbs
125 g fats

Very unusual for me. A lot more fats and little carbs.
Flu got me really bad.

1 Like

So here is my recap video of the competition I did last Saturday:

I still think I under performed but then again with very little time to prepare, lack of equipment and the stress of moving, job change and university, I probably shouldn’t be too greedy.

2 Likes

Good job mate even if it didn’t go exactly as you wanted on the day. What are your plans now?

Thanks mate.
Tough question. Finding competitions is very difficult now. I basically won’t be able to compete in Germany for a while, unless I get very lucky and find random competitions that I am allowed to participate in. The other option is competing again in Austria but I am not sure how much shows there are for my level.
I also plan on doing a powerlifting competition somewhere down the road without comprimising my strongman training.

I have also thought about what to do weight wise. This last competition was kind of an eye opener: I competed in the open weight category at 113 kg. There were people exceeding 150 kg. I was definitely the lightest/ smallest. Then again, I think gaining a bunch of weight for some quick improvements won’t make me happy personally because I am not a lean man als it is right now. My girlfriend wouldn’t be too happy aswell if I go to 120+ kg. As a result of my rambling I think there ist a lot of progress to be made at my current bodyweight.

So long term: Continue with strongman.
Very long term: Get good enough to compete in the 2nd league of the GFSA.
Right now: I am more motivated than ever to gain as much strength in this off season as possible, especially on my deadlift.

1 Like

2384 kcal.
173 g Protein
276 g carbs
36 g fats

Damn that ist very little food

112,4 kg morning weight. New low at the scale.

3685 kcal today
213 g protein
452 g carbs
55 g fats

1 incline bench press
6 x 5 @ 70 kg

2 slingshot bench press
90 kg x 3, 5, 5

3 seated cable row
5 x 10

4 Push ups
10, 5, 4

5 Reverse flys
5 x 15

Notes:

• almost fully healthy again
  • Quick pace, even without super sets, this took about 50 minutes
  • unracking in both the incline and the flat bench was nearly impossible. That ist why I only got 3 reps in my first set. Then I got an unrack and had easily 8-10 in me. Same dir the incline. Every Set was unecessary hard until I got an unrack in the 6th set and suddenly realised I had a lot more in the tank
1 Like