Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Back was feeling a little off again… Don’t know what is the deal with that but played it safe today

1 arm over arm car pull.
Put two tow rows for cars together. Not good for the hands, löst a little skin.
Tryed various resistances. Most I could handle was 4 clicks in the brake.

2 romanian deadlift
5 x 3 @ 110 kg

3a 45° Back raises

3b paloff press
3 x 6

3c weighted plankes 15 kg
2 x 1 min, 1 x 45 sec

Notes:

• Well the car pull didn’t go that well, or so I think. It did not really feel like a deadlift and didn’t seem to use my legs at all. I basically Just leaned back untily scapula touched the ground. I can upload a video on Sunday or Monday.
  • the core stuff was nice for my back
1 Like

Was in Munich to move the rest of the furniture down and brought back the keg. I still won’t have a log untily I am about 1 week out but the keg is the most important part.
I think for the pressing I will try a similiar approach as I have seen it done by @T3hPwnisher where I will do something like EMOM triples and Doubles, adding weight each session. This has worked in the log before.

Quick training session after I finally returned (horrible long drive).

1 keg clean and press
10 x 3 @ 48,7 kg with 1 min rest

2 keg cary medley
carry the keg 24 meter, run 24 meter, repeat 4 times

3 keg carry medley
carry the keg 12 meter, run 24 meter, repeat 4 times

Notes:

• tried to one motion the keg. First time trying this so I am happy about any feedback!
    Actually felt okay. More like a weird muscle snatch then a clean and press. The rocks inside the keg were sliding everywhere which makes it hard and throws me off balance. 60 kg by contest time should be doable, I am confident
  • the medley was pretty miserable.
  • finger is still damaged from the arm over arm pull, so deadlifts, cleans, arm over arm pull are all problematic.

video of today’s keg training:

I think you have a solid handle on the 1 motion there. Just gotta clean it up and make it fast, which comes with practice. You can already see how much time you’re saving through compared to deadlifting it, getting it on your hips, setting up, and rolling it upwards.

1 Like

This was done directly after a 11 hours shift, so I was out of the house quite long this day.
It is all a bit much right now with work, studies, moving etc. but I try my best to still make progress.
Only had half an hour for this workout.

1a Push Press
Up to
90 kg x 4
80 kg x 5

1b t bar row
4 x 40 kg x 8

2 incline DB press
22 kg x 8
30 kg x 8

3 complex:
5 kettlebell clean and press each arm, max effort battle rope. No rest between rounds
24 kg, Rope, 20 kg, Rope, 16 kg, Rope, 12 kg, Rope, 8 kg, Rope

5 Reverse flys
2 x 15

4 lat pull down
3 x 8

5 Push ups
12?

Notes:

• Well this was more of a ‘get moving’ workout. Strength was absolutely zapped. I would have probably been better Off skipping the barbell.
  • the conditioning complex was pretty good though.
  • won’t have time tomorrow train today and tomorrow so this was better than nothing

Didn’t feel like a stiff-legged dead? Alpha has an awesome video on it actually on his channel that I should’ve mentioned earlier lol

Not at all. Hard to say how it felt. I used my back most but not in the way that a deadlift feels. Thanks man,I will check that out!

1 deadlift
up to
120 kg x 2
130 kg x 2
140 kg x 2
150 kg x 2
160 kg x 2
165 kg x 2
140 kg x 2
120 kg x 2

2 banded squat
10 x 3 @ 80 kg + band tension with 1 min rest between sets

3 goblet reverse lunges/ SS goblet squats (without letting the db down)
3 x 6 each leg/ 6 @ 25 kg

4 good mornings
2 x 10 @ 50 kg

5 side hold (barbell)
50 kg x 30 seconds
60 kg x 20 seconds
70 kg x 20 seconds

6 random ab stuff

7 intervall sprints on the incline treamill

Notes:

• lost some ground on deadlifts but it is okay. Shouldn’t have done 165 kg, not happy at all with how it looks.
  • squats felt very good

Some random clips from the arm over arm pull training:

3 heaviest deadlift sets and 2 of the 10 sets of squats from yesterday:

Bad DOMS in the lower back, upper back glutes and legs. Back was fatiguing rapidly, that is why I dropped push presses today.

1 keg clean and press, 1 to 1,5 min rest between sets
8 x 3 with 55,7 kg

2 incline bench press
3 x 5 @ 80 kg

3a seated row
3 x 12

3b board press (foam roller as board)
2 x 5 @ 100 kg

4a lat pull down
3 x 10-12

4b seated db pres
25 kg x 8
30 kg x 5

5 push ups

6 face pulls
3 x 15-20

7 incline walking on the treadmill

Notes:

• explosiveness was zapped because of yesterday’s workout. Strength is there for the keg. No doubt that 60 kg is possible.

Man it looks pretty good. Do you know how thick the rope will be? he thin rope seems troublesome, and I think it’ll actually feel better with a thicker rope

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!
Is there normally someone who helps you with the rope so that it is under tension at all times? Like in a harness truck pull?
I hope and guess the rope will be thicker. This tow rope is destroying my hand and fingers. Today on the keg I sliced open another one. At the end of this prep my hands will look like this:
doyy hands

1 Like

1 Keg clean & press
7 x 3 @ 60,8 kg with 1-1,5 min rest

2 keg medley
Carry the keg for 10 meter, Sprint 20 meter.
4 rounds to simulate my 4 keg loading race.

3 half of @Alpha’s mindset challenge (yes I am a pussy)

Carry the keg as far as possible in 5 minutes, rest 2,5 minutes and carry it back in less than 5 minutes.
Barely made it. Got back in like 4.30 minutes.

The final sprint was both horrible and awesome. It really taught me how to fight when your biceps feels like it is going to rupture, your back is cramping, you feel like you won’t make the next step and everything tells you to stop.
This last sprint was a very important moment.

Notes:

• the carry challenge was awesome but I guess the keg ist not the best implement to use here because your biceps gives out first.
  • Clean and press ist no problem at all. Couldn’t one motion all reps but this was two days after upper body training. I can definitely one motion this weight. This was contest weight today.
  • diet has been shit lately. Too much crap, not enough protein and way too much alcohol. I need to be careful there. Next week is my birthday, so there will be more unhealthy stuff but I need to start making better choices again.
1 Like

Sort of, lol. Help is more on a volunteer basis, at least the two times I’ve done it in competition. If in doubt just ask someone to help you out with it.

I’d actually be really surprised if it weren’t. I’d put money on 1" minimum, 1.5-2" more likely. I bet that rope you’re using really sucks to pull!

In my last comp, I actually used receiver gloves (US football) because the rope seemed very new, & was pretty slick.

I think we are following the same diet plan. I’m aiming to just outtrain it!

Haha this made me laugh :smiley:
I though the added conditioning would take care of it but I was wrong.

Trained early before work. Hate that gym.

1 squat
Up to
100 kg x 2
110 kg x 2
120 kg x 2
130 kg x 2
135 kg x 2

2 banded deadlift
3 x 2 @ 100 kg + band
Couldn’t bei bothered with octagonal plates. Had to stop there.

3a bulgarian split squats
2 x 8 @ 16 kg kettlebell

3b trx plankes
2 x ?

4a 45° Back raise
25, 15

4b paloff press
2 x 6 with 5 sec hold

Notes:

• quick and easy workout. Squats were smooth.
  • I can still feel the keg in my muscles and bones so I didn’t want to over do it today. Back was a bit stressed

Whatever you do, don’t eat like half a marzipan cake before working out. It just doesn’t feel good. You only have one birthday a year though and I always have this cake as my birthday cake.

1 push press
up to
90 kg x 1
95 kg x
100 kg x 1
102,5 kg x 1
100 kg x 1
80 kg x 13 - PR (+2 reps)

2a banded incline bench press
3 x 3 @ 60 kg + band tension, last rep paused

2b seated cable rows
4 or 5 x 8 ascending weights

3 complex @ 55 kg (straps this time)
15 bent rows + 10 clean and press + 5 push ups - two rounds with 3 min rest. Then the cake got the better of me and I stopped.

4a lat pull down
2 x 10

4b face pulls
2 x 12

5 random shoulder press machine
10,10, 4

Video of the push pressing today:

2 Likes

Also squats from the other day:

1 Like