Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Worthless was meant in the context of my upcoming competition. This workout probably isn’t making me deadlift or log press any more weight in two weeks… Plus the heavier weights were just awful.
I am trying to but it really isn’t easy. My state of mind isn’t really connected to my current training situation though.

1 Like

Didn’t get to log this.

Was an early morning training before work.
Good news: My hand heals by itself, no surgery needed. It would probably best to wait a little more but that is not in the cards now.

1 log lift (clean every rep)
up to
71 kg x 2
81 kg x 1 beltless
86 kg x 1
91 kg x 1 - failed double
91 kg x 2 - PR!
91 kg x 1
91 kg x 1
91 kg x 1

2a lat pull down
3 x 8 with 60 kg

2b swiss bar bench press
3 x 6 with 90 kg

3a chest supported t bar row
2 x 12 with 30 kg

3b one arm db press
2 x 10 with 22 kg

Notes:

• hand wound was bothering me a little but it is easily bearable
  • finally a good workout again!
  • probably total volume PR with 91 kg.
1 Like

Another early morning training.

1 axle deadlift
3 x 56 kg x 1-5
96 kg x 2
116 kg x 1
136 kg x 1
146 kg x 1
156 kg x 1
166 kg x 1
171 kg x 1
166 kg x 1
156 kg x 1
136 kg x 1
96 kg x 1

axle bent over rows
2 x 10 with 56 kg

Notes:

• whole goal today was to pull 171 kg and make it as sub maximal as possible
  • legs were still very sore from squats
  • 171 kg felt heavier than I’d like it to but it went without too much struggle.
  • finally had my fire back. Most guys here reading this will know what I mean. Felt that rage and that stubbornness again. I knew what the task at hand was and I didn’t let anything come in my way.
  • jacked up my neck somehow
  • one more session to go on Saturday in Hannover then it is show time.
  • if the 180 kg will stay on the ground, then so be it. But I will be DAMNED if I didn’t give it my very best pull and if I don’t pour my heart and soul in it.
2 Likes

Today’s 171 kg pull

2 Likes

Been following along. Glad to see you are back at it.

1 Like

So final training session is done and over with. Mixed results but generally a good Session. Drove to Hannover for this.

1 Log lift… Oh log lift… (Big boy log again - 35 cm)
Up to
80 kg x 1
85 kg x 1 - No struggle at all this time
90 kg x 0
90 kg x 0
90 kg x 0
87,5 kg x 1 - PR for this log
90 kg x 0 - aaaaaaaaah losing my Shit!
85 kg x 0

The trainer (has been second strongest woman of the the world, multiple times Germany’s strongest woman, holds european powerlifting records in something) this is a head thing. I News to dive unser the log with more confidence and be more consequent.

2 axle deadlift from the Floor
Up to
130 kg x 1
140 kg x 1
155 kg x 1
170 kg x 1
180 kg x 1 - PR! For axle, for conventional from Floor and ties Overall best deadlift
180 kg x 0 - lazy attempt
140 kg x 1
120 kg x 1

3 Farmer’s Walk
180 kg x 40 meter with reset at turning point in 18 sek.
180 kg x 40 Meter with turn (no reset) in 22 sek.
180 kg x 40 Meter with turn (no reset) in 20 sek.
180 kg x 40 Meter with turn (no reset) in 20 sek.

4 incline log press from pins
60 kg x 6
60 kg x 6
60 kg x 7

5 Atlas Stone loading
75 kg x 1, 1
100 kg x 0

Notes:

• really really happy and released to have got 180 kg in the deadlift. It was ugly but it went fast.
  • the log ist driving me crazy! I will still attempt the 90 kg in competition. I think it is there!!
  • high confidence with the farmer’s walk. Practiced for both possible alternatives and the weight is light for me.
2 Likes

Workout started about 11.10 pm and lasted till 2.10 am. I did some active recovery consisting of foam rolling, stretching, a bunch of sets of good mornings and presses with the empty bar. Also trained biceps. About 5 sets with the heaviest being 22 kg db hammer curls for 20 reps per arm. I guess that makes me a bodybuilder. I already ordered a thong.

The workout was actually about my girlfriend. I just coached her through this monster session and kept her company.
I am so damn proud of her! She was more energetic than I have ever seen her during a workout. She hit big numbers on the log with perfect technique and also hit two singles at 92 kg on the axle deadlift pretty easy, which is only 1,5 kg off her personal best in this movement. Her whole session consisted of about 12 sets of log, 12 sets of deadlifts (ramp up sets included in both), 4 sets of swiss bar bench press, 5 sets of lat pull down, 3 sets of lateral raises, 4 sets of pull aparts, 2 sets of trap bar carrie2, 3 sets of plankes. Damn, that was an impressive session that included probably like 6 PRs :smiley: . Massively proud of my sexy gilfriend! It was a lot of fun to be part of this.

In other news: Said beautiful girlfriend is getting me a bigger log as an early birthday present!!!

2 Likes

No training but was able to get an appointment with my physio in very short notice. This guy is a blessing!
I wanted him to take a look at my upper back and put everything back in place. Something felt off.
Turns out he had to relocate two ribs and one vertebra of the t-spine.
How the hell did I dislocate two ribs?! Haha. Would have done the contest anyway without a problem but it sure is nice to start with your spine and ribs all in place :smiley:

1 Like

Did 40 mins of easy stationary bike riding. Felt like I needed to move. I would have preferred a walk but weather is horrible (great deal of the surrounding region is heavily flooded, a lot of cities nearby have triggered disaster alarm and so on). Body feel a little weird. Like it wants to get sick.

New log arrived. It is sooo beautiful! Really really happy and thankful. It is pretty short (1.6 m) but very thick, like the logs in competition. It weighs 45 kg/ 99.2 lbs empty. Hard to resist testing it.

Competition

Competition is done and over with. I learned a lot and had a great time. Instead of a full write up I did a video with voice over where I’ll explain most things. I am a little disappointed that I couldn’t hit all of my goals but I also have to look on the up side. I prepped 2-3 weeks for that and made huge jumps in strength/ mental toughness. For example my conventional axle deadlift from the floor improved by 10 kg and now equals my best sumo deadlift.
Now I am looking to shed some fat and also to utilize a lot of volume training and general strength training in my ‘off season’.

Here is said video:

3 Likes

Gute Arbeit!

That first deadlift looked very smooth. Also the rain was a nice touch; was it cold too? The straps looked like a pain, I’ve been looking at some figure 8 straps myself

Hahaha thank you!

It really wasn’t! The weather was changing back an forth between pouring rain and intense sun shine. Most of the time it was pretty warm.
Thanks, I was very happy with how the deadlift felt and looked and I also have my eyes on figure 8 straps. Not only have mine failed me, but they are starting to tear apart.

1 Like

Want to leave my new training plan here, so I can take a look whenever I need to. I am going to utilize a lot more volume than I am used to. Also pretty high frequency. I am pretty curious to how I am going to react. Also I hope my elbows can take this.

Day One

1. Log lift (6x5/ 10x3/ 6x2/ 6x1)
  2. incline bench press (5x10/ 5x8/ 5x6/ 5x4)
  3. pull ups (3x4-8)
  4. lat pull down (5x10-12)
  5. face pulls (5x20)

Day Two

1. Back Squat (6x5/ 10x3/ 6x2/ 6x1)
  2. conventional deadlift (5x10/ 5x8/ 5x6/ 5x4)
  3. RFESS (3x8 per leg)
  4. leg curls (3x15)
  5. ab wheel (4x10)

Day Three

1. Push press (5x8/ 5x6/ 5x4/ 5x2)
  2. bench press (5x8-10/ 5x6-8/ 5x4-6/ 5x2-4)
  3. row (6x10)
  4. db schoulder press (3x10-12)
  5. reverse flys (5x15)

Day four

1. sumo deadlift (5x8/ 5x6/ 5x4/ 5x2)
  2. ssb squat (3x8-10/ 3x6-8/ 3x4-6/ 3x2-4)
  3. barbell row (3x10)
  4. back raises (4x12-15)
  5. planke (3x1,5 min)
  6. side planke (3x1 min)

Some of these things will have to change around a bit because my access to equipment won’t be steady as I move to Munich pretty soon. Also I am still unsure if I should incorporate carries somehow.

Still pretty beat up from the contest. So I chose light weights to start the new training Plan. Had an early morning training today.

1 Log lift (clean once). First time using the new log with competition diameter.
6 x 5 @ 60 kg

2 Chin ups
2 x 5 with band support

3 incline bench press
5 x 10 @ 50 kg

4 lat pull down
5 x 12 @ 50 kg

5 face pulls
5 x 20

Notes:

• incline bench is a huge weakness of mine. I hope it is worth the investment.
  • I don’t like this style of training. High volume and straight weight sets. I have neglected it a long time and that ist exactly why I think I might benefit from it now.

Can’t remember the last time I lacked motivation like this before going into a training session. Probably because I was not looking forward to this amount of volume. Back has been feeling a little iffy since the contest but it is just because of accumulated stress .

Always read as sets x reps @ weight

1 squats
6 x 5 @ 100 kg

2 conventional deadlift (touch& go/ doh/ no belt)
5 x 10 @ 100 kg

3 SSB reverse lunges
3 x 8 per leg @ 27 kg

4a ab wheel roll outs
4 x 10

4b physio ball leg curls
3 x 15

Notes:

• this was gruesome for me. I am so not used to multiple sets and high reps that this thoroughly kicked my ass!
  • squats were moving great and weight felt light.
  • never really utilized touch and go deadlifts, so it has a learning curve for me. I find it harder to hold position and I think with heavier weights I will go back to dead stop.
1 Like

Late night workout. Girlfriend did her mock meet, because she couldn’t participate in the competition that I did. She successfully hit 45 kg in the smaller log (which was used in competition), did a double with 100 kg on the axle deadlift. She did a trap bar carry with 80 kg for 40 meter in 17.96 seconds. The last event was kind of improvised. She carried a 55 kg sandbag for 10 meter and loaded it over a 1.20m bar plus she carried a 86 kg keg for 10 meter in a duck walk fashion.
I am a) super duper proud of her! And b) I am satisfied because I coached her for this and wrote her program.

My training:

1 push press
6 x 5 @ 80 kg

2 banded row
6 x 12-20

3a bench press
8, 8, 7, 8, 10 @ 80 kg

3b reverse DB flys
5 x 15

4 DB ohp press and DB biceps curls
Back and forth, descending weights.

Notes:

• bench press was rather weak. Push press was decent.
  • I am so unbelievably sore, it isn’t even funny. Especially glutes, quads, upper back and abs. I can neither walk or sit :smiley:
1 Like

Schedule has been crazy. Had to drive my girlfriend to Hannover train station at 4 am. Got 4 hours of sleep and then afterwards another 1.5 hours before a long work day. Returned at about 10.30 PM and decided to not Slip the workout as I am already a bit behind. I got some pre workout from a co worker and tried that for the First time. Not bad but I should have used a higher dose since I am very intolerant to caffeein.

1 Sumo deadlifts (First time in about half a year)
140 kg x 1
5 x 8 @ 125 kg

Hurt my back, it locked up pretty good. I don’t know if I hyperextended in the third set, If I wanted too much, of I should have taken a longer deload … And so on and forth. Does it matter? Probably not.
Wanted to do SSB squats but ended the session early. I take pride in my work ethic but in hindsight I probably should have letzten this one slip.

We will see tomorrow about the severety of the back whatever.

Early morning training. Back felt a lot better yesterday and I did some rehab stuff that made in feel even better today. It is still noticeable but I will be fine and be at 100% again in no time.

1 Log lift (Clean once)
10 x 3 @ 70 kg

2 Chin ups
3 x 2

3 incline bench press
5 x 8 @ 60 kg

4 lat pull down
5 x 10-12 @ 50 kg

5 face pulls
5 x 20

continued nightly rehab stuff. Back felt about 90% this morning. Probably even better. It got worse through training though.
You know those days were absolutely nothing goes your way? You have the feeling that everything is working against you? Been having this kind of day. Thought that I might release some stress and go in and squat stupid heavy… but: Warm ups felt incredibly heavy and I quickly turned the plan down.

1 squat
10 x 3 @ 110 kg

2 conv. deadlift (dead stop)
4 x 8 @ 120 kg

Notes:

• Yup that’s it. Here is why: I had no time, back got tight, I was so angry and pissed at everything that I nearly lost my shit and so I really couldn’t be bothered anymore. This has probably never happened, that I would end a workout short because of those reasons.

• squats were super hard! Last week they felt awesome and super natural, today they felt a) all over the place, b) super duper heavy on my back.

• won’t train tomorrow. Probably Saturday or Sunday. Will likely also alter the program.

• thought: In general I will do deadlifts only once a week and I will use the same progression as I do on squats and log press, so they will be moved to the third day. Now the question is, since I am very stressed at the moment: Do I just go in and train by feel until the stress gets better or do I try to hold onto the program? I won’t have access to my equipment anymore from next weekend on, so stuff like log press is going out anyway for the moment.

1 Like

It has been a bad bad week. Depression has been the worst it hast in a long time. I don’t have panic attacks and some of the other horrible things I used to suffer from. I just feel like sitting down, staring against the wall and drinking whisky. Doing nothing, feeling nothing. I am trying my best to not do that though.
I hope that this phase will pass soon, when some of the ridiculous stress wears off, that I have to endure right now.

I also feel very weak training wise right now. This might be just because of poor sleep, stress, nagging little ‘injuries’ and depression though to be fair.

Very grateful for the weekends with my girlfriend. She was always very understanding and respectful for my situation. She tries her very best to make me feel better. It is nice to know that somebody cares, when you are going through rough times.

Trained at the old school bodybuilding gym thatI visit once in a while. Also went off the plan and die whatever.

1 Push Press
Up to
90 kg x 3
95 kg x 1
100 kg x 0 don’t know when was the last time I have failed this
100 kg x 1 much harder than normal
90 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
Elbows a little pissed, so I Stopper

2 bench press
80 kg x 5
80 kg + chains x 3
90 kg + chains x 1
100 kg + chains x 0 misgrooved, underestimated, whatever

3 HS lat pull down
4 x 8- 10 blew the lats up a lot more than cable pull downs

4 c&p (clean every rep, sorta like a viper press- No pause at the chest), beltless
50 kg x 8
50 kg x 8

5 ohp, beltless
50 kg x 10

6 row row row your boat
Did a shit ton of rows in the seated machine

7 HS shoulder press. - didn’t like it
1 Plate x 10

1 Like