Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

I think the two deadlift days sound good, but you should perhaps try having one just straight up more volume oriented (not so much speed). I’d go as far as to have a day dedicated to sumo pulls or something.

For me personally, in the past, I’ve peaked my deadlift by kind of having a 3 week volume cycle, then a 3 week building cycle. It’d be like Week 1 4x10 Week 2 5x7-8 Week 3 5x5

Then, for the heavy 3 weeks it’d just be a climbing heavy cycle, like 6x4, 8x2, 10x1, with their respective weights. Only problem is, after 6 weeks im not sure what you’d do LOL. It’s kind of a tightly packed little training block, but perhaps you can modify it when it’s over or something, or just find some other dynamic 3rd additional 3 week cycle to go with after those, then maybe start it all over.

Hopefully that’s some help. If you’re lost after that (implying you do that), you should just go by what you really feel you need to work on most while also considering recovery and health.

Appreciate the tag, and congrats on that comp you had before. 3 weeks doesn’t really seem like enough time to get stronger, but it might be enough time to get your head straight. I think, with the adrenaline of the competition and some serious focus, you’ll be able to rip that dead off the floor. Might be a decent time to figure out how to hitch and take advantage of that, because it looks like your pulls are pretty clean.

@strongmanvinny2 : Your idea sounds very good. Unfortunately the time limit makes this not doable. I like the idea of using both deadlift styles but with only 3 weeks to go I think specifity helps more.
Thanks for the suggestion, This is definitely something to try after my comp.

@T3hPwnisher: Thank you. I too think it is doable. on the day. No doubt that it will be hard but I am pretty confident.

Today the mind was stronger than the body today. That is good. I think I have never worked out while being this sore before. My lower back and lats were the worst, traps, upper back and hamstrings were also trashed. DOMS are just unholy at the moment.

1 log lift (clean every rep)
up to
81 kg x 1
86 kg x 1
91 kg x 0
91 kg x 1
86 kg x 1
86 kg x 1
86 kg x 1
86 kg x 1
86 kg x 1
81 kg x 2

2 swiss bar slingshot bench press
95 kg x 6
95 kg x 6

3 slingshot bench press
105 kg x 6
100 kg x 6

4a lat pull down
3 x 50 kg x 10

4b one arm db press standing
3 x 22 kg x 10

5 face pulls
3 x 20

Notes:

• this was very challenging
  • left biceps felt weird during the log press. During the bench press it was in a good amount of pain and I needed to go super slow during the decent.
  • switched from swiss bar to regular bar because the unrack was too much of a struggle somehow. Maybe because of the biceps
  • actually I am very satisfied with this workout because of how destroyed I was.
  • the really bad thing is… I am supposed to pull tomorrow :smiley:

Thanks for the tag man. Piggybacking off of what @T3hPwnisher said, since you are already close I bet with the competition mind frame you’ll be able to pull it. Just remember your cues & commit to the lift; it seems like half of the people at comps either hit or miss by way of commitment to the lift.

Also, if you take preworkout, consider taking it prior to your worst event and do some jumps beforehand, it helped with my log press.

1 Like

@TX_iron : Thanks for stopping by! I think commiting to the lift will be the number one thing to do. I should know soon from what height we are going to pull.

I can push through a certain amount of soreness but my lower back just was not ready to deadlift today.

1 axle deadlift
56 kg x 8
76 kg x 8
96 kg x 2
116 kg x 2
126 kg x 6
136 kg x 6
I could literally hear my erectors/ back asking my brain “is he fucking retarded? Make him stop for god’s sake!”

2 trap bar carry
5 sets of 40 meter with 126 kg, average of 22 seconds. One turn after 20 meter.

3a swiss bar bend over row
50 kg x 8
70 kg x 5
70 kg x 5
80 kg x 5

3b hanging leg raise
3 x 10

4 TABATA sprints on stationary bike
two runs without rest, so 8 minutes.

Notes:

• worked on foot speed today and it was finally clicking. I think I benefit more from these light weights because I think the weight will not be a problem but the improved foot speed will go a long way.
  • deadlifting was just not in the cards today. Still the workout felt productive. I should do more conditioning
1 Like

Didn’t get to log, so this is going to be pretty long.

Went to Hannover to the crossfit box that hosted the first competition I competed in.

1 log lift (this was a 35 cm log. So a lot bigger than I am used to)
40 kg x ?
50 kg x ?
60 kg x 1
70 kg x 1
80 kg x 1
85 kg x 0
85 kg x 1
85 kg x 0
70 kg x 3
75 kg x 1
80 kg x 1
80 kg x 1
80 kg x 1
85 kg x 0
70 kg x 5

2 farmer’s walk (weight in total)
80 kg x 20 meter
120 kg x 20 meter
140 kg x 40 meter
160 kg x 40 meter
180 kg x 20 meter
200 kg x 15 meter - tore a callus, so I dropped it.

3 loading (kegs were carried about 7 meter, loading height about 120+ cm)
70 kg keg + 100 kg keg + 50 kg atlas stone + 75 kg atlas stone

4 Atlas stones
50 kg stone, 75 kg stone, 100 kg stone fail

5 steep incline bench press
60 kg x 6
60 kg + 16 kg in chains x 5
60 kg + 16 kg in chains x 5

6 close grip bench press
60 kg + 40 kg in chains x 6
60 kg + 24 kg in chains x 8
60 kg x 8

7 HS low row
3 x 20

Notes:

• shit! This log just destroyed my confidence. I just couldn’t get my legs into the press. Wouldn’t have thought the difference between the logs would be that big. Devastated that I wasn’t able to get 90 kg.
  • farmer’s were pretty good. Tore a callus on the 200 kg carry. Still a PR and I am proud of it. The pick up was super hard and ugly.
  • this workout took about 3,5 hours :smiley:

1 axle deadlift
up to
136 kg x 1
156 kg x 1
166 kg x 1
171 kg x 0 - mind wasn’t completely in it
171 kg x 1 - PR for axle from the floor, I think.
176 kg x 0

2 reverse band axle deadlift
166 kg x 2
171 kg x 2
176 kg x 1

3 axle deadlift
156 kg x 1
136 kg x 4

4 axle squats
56 kg x 20

no time anymore

several hours later I swam 660 meter.

Notes:

• yeah… fuck. I can not deadlift 180 kg with an axle from the floor. That is clear now. A 90 kg log press on a bigger log is also likely not happening. I am not happy with where I am right now.
  • I am actually having a little crisis as to if doing the contest is the best idea…

video of training in Hannover:

video of today’s deadlifts:

1 Like

I just thought I’d throw my 2c in. You’re working pretty hard ATM so you may find if you let some fatigue dissipate plus in a comp setting that the axle flies off the ground. I added 10kg and 3 reps to the best squat in my cycle just 2 weeks earlier once.

The other thing I would say is the only time I have heard someone regret entering a comp is when they went in injured and hurt themselves worse or had 3 comps in 6 weeks. Better to regret something you did than something you didn’t do…

1 Like

Yeah you are right. I think I have built up a good bit of fatigue and taking a deload the week before competition might work wonders.

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it.

Plus, what is there to lose anyway?

Early morning training before work. Maybe not ideal but I have to do what I can.

1 Log Lift
Up to
10 x 88 kg x 1 (10 Singles)

2 Push Press
90 kg x 1
80 kg x 5
Top fatigued, No sense in pushing it

3a banded Swiss Bar bench press
70 kg + bands x 5
80 kg + bands x 5
80 kg + bands x 5
80 kg + bands x 5

3b lat pull down
4 x 8 @ 60 kg

4 face pulls
4 x 20

Notes:

• workes on some tips for the log that I got in Hannover
  • for the circumstances everything moved ok

Hello axle, my old friend
I’ve come to deadlift you again

Today it was rough getting out of the bed and down to the cheese factory. I have built up some serious fatigue and feel pretty run down. Well 1.5 weeks to go then it is go time!

1 banded axle deadlift (Not sure about tension of the band. Around 20 kg maybe at the top)
136 + band x 2
136 + band x 2
136 + band x 2
136 + band x 2
136 kg x 4

2a Trap bar walks
136 kg x 40 meter
136 kg x 40 meter
136 kg x 40 meter

2b ab Roll outs
3 x 8

3 high bar squats
60 kg x 10

4a chest supported t bar row
40 kg x 8

4b side Planke
1 min

Notes:

• didn’t push it in the deadlift as I will pull again on sunday. Even though there ist nothing heavy or hard in this workout I was drenched in sweat and I was dying. Like I Said - fatigue, early morning, long shifts etc. bla bla

My luck struck again. I just rammed a rusty nail into my right palm. Needed a tetanus
vaccination and also can not use my hand until about Monday. So long for deadlifts and log press this weekend.

The forced rest might do you some good, I wouldn’t worry too much.

How’d you manage to do this? :hammer:

Yard work. I was tearing down an old wooden “box” in lack of a better term. I was splitting wooden planks by stepping on them and then pulling. This particular plank was pretty sturdy and when it finally broke it was with a good amount of speed. I didn’t see the nail in it and it slammed inside my hand right through the glove.
It doesn’t look like much and I didn’t think much of it. By now it hurts a good bit and the surrounding area feels kind of hard. Will call he doctor tomorrow and probably have her take a second look at it to be sure. My sister advised me to do so (she is an intensive nurse - not sure if I translated this correctly. A nurse working at the emergency floor? Whatever)

1 Like

I would be inclined to agree if it wasn’t for two of the final planned workouts before my competition. You see, at the weekend I am well rested and fed. I will now have to slam the workouts together and perform both on Tuesday. I work 11 hours the day prior, as well as Tuesday itself. That forces me to do the work in a fatigued state and early before work.
I guess I am overthinking but it is hard not to :smiley:

2 Likes

Was at the doctor’s office again today. I am now taking antibiotics. If it gets worse, I need to go to the hospital tomorrow to receive surgery. That would obviously be the end of my competition plans. But that is only if I have bad luck.
I am also feeling sick and weakened. Probably from the vaccine shot. I have always been sick after receiving one. I hope I am better tomorrow.

1 Like

Damn bro hope all goes well and you get better soon

Damn man. Hope you start feeling better soon. I mean though, there is always straps lol.

Thanks guys, I am confident that surgery won’t be necessary. I mean it is such a god damn small spot anyway!

My girlfriend said the same :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Didn’t see that coming…

First I spent the whole day at Ikea and otherwise looking for furniture for our new flat. I am moving far away with my girlfriend shortly. Haven’t talked about that much on here because of the odd chance that one of my collegues might find this log. Training started very late at night.

Today I was visited by my old arch enemy. That was unexpected because everything has been going well in that regard. I can’t tell if I was having a bad workout because of my state of mind or if was having these problems because of how horrible I performed. As time passed on I was leading more towards the first option. Anyway I was/ am in full depression mode. It hasn’t been like this in a long time. Not nearly as bad as I have been, still bad enough to be a little worried. Should probably see my therapist again, it hast been a while.
I Just have a whole lot in my plate right now… I guess it added up and gets to me more than I realize.
Glad I have my girlfriend at my side today.

1 SSB Squats (what are you gonna do with both arms out of order? :smiley: )
42 kg x 5
62 kg x 5
82 kg x 3
102 kg x 1, 1
112 kg x 1
122 kg x 1 super hard
122 kg x 1still kinda hard
122 kg x 1finally somewhat near of what this baby weight is supposed to feel
127 kg x 0 wow! At loss of words.

2 regular squats (hands super wide)
60 kg x 5
80 kg x 1
100 kg x 1
110 kg x 1
120 kg x 1
125 kg x 1
130 kg x 1
120 kg x 1 pause, very deep
100 kg x 6
100 kg x 6 brought hands in a little. So much better
100 kg x 10 hard. Form got a little sloppy. Wanted to at least achieve SOMETHING!

3 SSB good Mornings
42 kg x 12
42 kg x 15

4 SSB squats
42 kg x 31

Notes:

• what is there more to say than what I already have? I feel like shit. This workout was worthless, right knee is iffy.
1 Like

Definitely doesn’t look worthless, even if you missed a few reps you made up for it and did some serious work. Try not to be so hard on yourself.

1 Like