Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

1 SSB Squats

102 kg x 1
112 kg x 1
122 kg x 1
132 kg x 1 - PR!
142 kg x 0 (wrapped) - scary fail
102 kg x 5

2 keg carry (83 kg keg)
6 x 20 meter. keeping rest short

3 suitcase carry with 28 kg kettlebell
1 x 40 meter per am

Notes:

• very happy with how the 132 kg looked

• the fail with 142 kg was very scary. Pins were set way too low and I had to round my back to get rid of the bar. Was probably just too spend already to attempt this.

• video of Monday’s deadlifts:

• video of today’s squats:

Going forward I will make some changes programming-wise:

1 Deadlift Day:
Something has to happen here. I will start out my deadlift days with conventional pulls focusing on technique with low to moderate weight and low volume. Then I will go over to trap bar pulls using 5/3/1.

2 Squat day:
I think I will be using 5/3/1 for ssb squats. That was why I wanted to figure out where I am at.
Also I will do carries here (rotating keg/ sandbag/ trap bar but focusing on trap bar)

3 Bench: No changes. Will use the swiss bar for assistance.

4 Push press: No changes, if possible because of the elbows. Maybe a little bit more strict pressing (log or swiss bar)

“Girlfriend gym” again. Didn’t have the best start into the day. Slept less than 5 hours and threw up in the morning. I am not sick, it was actually a mental reaction… I should correct that into: I am not sick from an internistic point of view, haha.

1 push press (regular barbell)
85 kg x 5
85 kg x 5
85 kg x 5
85 kg x 5
85 kg x 5
85 kg x 5

2 neutral grip chin ups (band supported)

3 seated db shoulder press
22,5 kg x8
32, 5 kg x 8
27,5 kg x10
22,5 kg x 12

4 pendlay row (and some power clean fooling around)
3 x 8 with 60 kg

5a lateral raises
12 kg x 12
8 kg x 12

5b reverse butterfly
12, 10, 10

6a face pulls
2 x 15

6b bicep
Pump

Notes:

• push presses: not even a challenge…
  • very happy to report that I felt no pain in my elbows. The massage + the long deload seem to help.

Late training, long day a work but felt quite good going in. It was one of those days where I wished I had a training partner/ my girlfriend with me. I kind of lacked motivation or energy perhaps.

1 snatch grip high pulls
60 kg x 3
60 kg x 3
60 kg x 3
60 kg x 3

2 conventional deadlift
140 kg x 3
140 kg x 3
140 kg x 3

3 trap bar deadlift
146 kg x 10

4 low handle trap bar deadlift (beltless and touch and go)
106 kg x 11

5a single leg hip thrust
2 x 10 each leg

5b kneeling ab wheel roll outs
2 x 10

Notes:

• tried different things with deadlifts today, still just working on form, technique and confidence. I tried a wider stance first, then wider stance and higher hips, then closer stance/ normal stance and higher hips
  • trap bar deadlifts felt good. Got a good pump in my quads somehow. Not used to higher reps anymore.

Video:

@Benanything : How did I do on the high pulls?

I’m actually kind of surprised you’re asking me haha. I think you can stay on your toes a tad bit longer at the top of the pull and think of the cue, point your elbows up. Your starting position doesn’t seem ideal for weightliftting since it’s basically a deadlift followed by a high pull. If you’re doing this solely for explosive power, that’s probably fine. But if you’re using this as an accessory to a snatch, you might want to slow down your hip rise on the first pull. Kinda like this…

granted this isn’t the best angle but you get an idea.

Then again, this is just my 2 cents.

EDIT: you can watch this video with the captions on too.

Finally had my girlfriend with me in the cheese factory again. It has been forever since that happened. Unfortunately she is bound to use crutches at the moment as she injured her ankle. So she can only train upper body for now.

1 close grip bench press
80 kg x 3
90 kg x 3
102,5 kg x 7

2 chest supported t bar row
3 x 10 with 30 kg

3 swiss bar bench press
50 kg x 8
70 kg x 8
80 kg x 8
90 kg x 8 - PR because it is a new movement

4 db seal row
2 x 10 with 22 kg

5 biceps
3 sets with drop set

6 “seal row set up” reverse flys - love this!
7,5 kg dbs x 15

Notes:

• upper back was crashed from yesterday, I think because of the high pulls, so I took it easy on rowing.
  • bench pressing was okay, still being affected by the unusually long deload. Next week is what counts though. I will attempt to do my old 1 RM (the one I started 5/3/1 for bench) for reps
  • swiss bar benching is really cool. Triceps was very pumped. I could see this being a valuable assistance lift for overhead

Well you have experience with olympic weightlifting. Most guys that I interact with on here haven’t.

I definitely don’t see myself doing full snatches. Some power/ muscle snatches at most. I just wanted to incorporate this to work on explosivness.

I will watch the videos that you suggested soon, thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hamstrings were still sore from my deadlift workout. That’s new… And I guess a good thing?!
Trained with my girlfriend (who did shoulders and abs) and my friend, whom I help prep for his first strongman show). He got two PRs today, one in the axle clean and press and one in the trap bar carry.

1 ssb squats
82 kg x 5
92 kg x 4
107 kg x 6

2 ssb pause squats
82 kg x 5
82 kg x 5
82 kg x 5

3 trap bar carry (one turn, where implement was put down and lifted up again)
126 kg x 40 meter
146 kg x 40 meter
166 kg x 40 meter - PR for this distance because I usually only train 20 meter

4 car push (VW Lupo with training partner)
1 run up hill for 15 meter probably
1 run flat, light up hill near the end for about 40 meter

Notes:

• quads were in freaking pain after the car pushes! Amazing exercise and today was a pretty nice day, so it was a good oppurtinity.
  • pleased with my friends prep so far. I am confident that we can meet his goals. When in training he shows good will power and intensity. It is more the decisions outside of training that he makes, that are making his prep harder or are decreasing his potential results. He misses trainings, makes bad nutrition choices and drinks a lot of alcohol or parties all night before a big training session. Still, he has made huge improvements in the short time of his prep so far!
  • good and fun training session. Love the ssb.

This week is and is going to be extremely stressful because of work and study load. Sleep wipp be kind of rare. Stood up early to get in a session before work today.

1 axle push press
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3
91 kg x 3

2 ng lat pull down
4 x 10

3 strict log press (beltless)
50 kg x 8
50 kg x 8

Notes:

• short breaks made it a challenge. Techniquewas not on point but honestly this just isn’t that heavy of a weight anymore for me.
  • slept wrong the other night and as a result my back is kund of sensitive… How old am I again?! :smiley:

11.03.17, ssb squats and trap bar carry:

15.03.17, axle and log overhead:

Even earlier workout. I think I am close to the limit of where I can push it this week. Workload and studying are brutal. So lots of stress, little sleep and zero free time. Got the workout in this morning but felt and am feeling god awful. Everything felt twice as heavy and painful.

1 power (muscle?) snatch
40 kg x 3
40 kg x 3

2 snatch grip high pull
60 kg x 3
60 kg x 3

3 conv. Deadlift
140 kg x 1
140 kg x 3
140 kg x 3

4 Trap bar deadlift
116 kg x 3
132,5 kg x 3
151 kg x 8

5 low handle trap bar deadlift (t&g)
116 kg x 12

Notes:

• camera died and I lost the recording of my trap bar pulls. Probably for the better. Felt like I pulled with a rounded back and as little leg involvement as possible
  • hard to concentrate on execution in this state of fatigue.
  • now to rest up on Friday and then kick ass on Saturday and Sunday, to make up for this mess!!

Today was a training day that I looked forward to for a while now.

1 close grip bench press
85 kg x 5
97,5 kg x 3
110 kg x 5 -PR (+4 reps)
120 kg x 1 - PR (+10 kg)

2a chest supported t bar row
30 kg x 10
5 x 10 with 40 kg

2b slingshot bench press (regular grip)
130 kg x 1
140 kg x 0

3 swiss bar bench press
50 kg x 15
70 kg x 15
70 kg x 15

4a rear delt flys
3 x 15

4b bicep curls
3 x 10

Notes:

• Turned my 1 rm close grip bench into my 5 rm over the course of 4-5 months (started the program 3 weeks later) and got a fairly comfortable 10 kg increase in my 1 rm (after doing 110 kg for five)
  • pretty proud of this progress. I just put in consistent effort and followed through with the plan. Good lesson for myself if I feel like program-hopping.
  • elbow was mostly good and never in pain
  • awesome to have my girlfriend with me for a session like this. I love to share my passion with her and being able to enjoy a joined training session. Unfortunately she still has to use crutches but her foot was good enough so that she could spot me. She had a really tough session with z presses and did a great job.

Video:

2 Likes

1 ssb squats
89,5 kg x5
99,5 kg x 3
112 kg x 5

2a ssb pause squats
92 kg x 3
92 kg x 3
92 kg x 3

2b kneeling ab wheel roll outs
3 x 8

3 carry medley:
83 kg keg for 20 meter, run back, 55 kg sandbag for 20 meter
Completed 4 rounds

4a side planke with superband row
3 x 15 per side

4b ssb reverse lunges
3 x 5 per leg with 42 kg

Notes:

• completed everyrhing within one hour.
  • very ‘athletic’ workout. I will try to make my workout more like this in general. I definitely have more of the “fat and lazy powerlifter” mentality, which doesn’t suit strongman.
  • good sweat, felt awesome and I really feel like I got a lot of shit done.

Trained at a different gym which was greatly equipped. It even had two axles. I used one which weighed 10,5 kg.

1 axle push press
100,5 kg x 2 -PRs from here on. Every set except the one where I failed the 2nd
100,5 kg x 2
100,5 kg x 2
100,5 kg x 2
100,5 kg x 1
100,5 kg x 2

2 cable row
15. 8, 8, 12, 15

3 seated db press
32 kg x 6
26 kg x 10
20 kg x 10

4 lat pull down
3 x 15

5 face pulls
3 x 20

6 other lat pull downs
2 x 15

Notes:

• so a double with 100 kg is a PR. To pull that off 5 times is really cool. Obviously a PR for total volume aswell.
  • a lot of strain on my biceps and foreaems, elbows were not that happy too
  • shoulders and arms were toasted
1 Like

Video of my ssb squats from the 19th:

Video of yesterday’s axle presses:

Didn’t really plan on training today but I had a lot of free time and the weather was gorgeous , so I was itching to get going. I am unbelievably sore from yesterday’s workout btw.

1 arm over arm car pull. (Used my car an the towing rope) - varying levels of hand brake
5 sets
1 sets with “5 reps”

2 car pushes - no hand brake
2 sets up hill, probably between 10-15 meters
1 set for long distance and not up hill.

Notes:

• was eager to try this. Need a longer rope for the pulls though
  • girlfriend was operating the car
  • had a lot of fun
  • couldn’t really walk anymore after the car pushes
  • video to follow
3 Likes

Not that interesting to watch actually, but here is yesterday’s training with my car:

3 Likes

1 power cleans
60 kg x 3
70 kg x 3
80 kg x 3
80 kg x 1
80 kg x 1
80 kg x 1

2 trap bar deadlifts
126 kg x 5
141 kg x 3
161 kg x 6

3 conventional deadlifts (with a band pulling the bar away from me)
80 kg x 5
100 kg x 5
130 kg x 2
130 kg x 2
130 kg x 2
130 kg x 2
130 kg x 2

4 SLDL
100 kg x 7

Notes:

• haven’t done power cleans in ages. I know my form is not great and every comment and critique is definitely welcome!
  • didn’t go to failure with the trap bar pulls today and stayed a little conservative to not mess up my technique.
  • deadlifts with the band are probably a good idea. Need to experiment more but it is a good reminder to pull the bar into you.

Happy about every bit of constructive critique.

Early before work. Deload bench. Just moving around and going through the motions. Body ist pretty beat, even these baby weights felt kind of heavy, respectively.

1a paused close grip bench press
40 kg x 5
60 kg x 5
80 kg x 5

1b chest supportes t bar row
4 x 12 with 20 kg

2 face pulls
3 x 12

3 push ups
Bw x 15

4 hammer curls
17,5 kg x 10

Notes:

• will deload on bench, squat and deadlift. Not through wuth my training cycle on push press, so I have one more serious session towards the weekend.