Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Today was redemption day for Mondays workout.

1a Axle pendlay rows (t&g and beltless+ strapless)
13 sets of 5
1 set of 15

1b log press (clean once)
72 kg x 6
75 kg x 6
70 kg x 6
70 kg x 6

2 axle strict press (clean once)
56 kg x 8
56 kg x 10

3 log strict press (beltless) DROPSET (only stripped the plates)
40 kg x 14
30 kg x 10

4 band pull aparts

Notes:

• shoulder felt 99% better!
  • It was an exhausting day. It was hot and humid all day. From work I had to drive straight to therapy (1 hour drive, 1 hour therapy), then home (half an hour) and immediately started my workout. Wasn’t exactly full of energy but at least it was still warm outside and sunlight lasted me just long enough to get through everything
  • the rows were supersetted with every pressing set and they totaled to the number above, spread out over the workout. The last set of 15 was performed at the very end of the workout and smoked my forearms pretty good
  • maybe 77 kg would have been possible on the log with more energy, maybe not. I am happy to have ended this on a high note and am pleased with the results of this workout and the amount of work that I got done.
  • viewing the footage I think I lean back a lot more than I used to on my pressing. For some time now I also have the feeling that my posture and shoulder mobility got worse. I may need to dedicate more time to mobility work and upper back work.

Video (in case someone actually watches these :D) : 23 06 Log and Axle - YouTube

Not sure how to feel about this workout. Due to poor planning I didn’t have access to my slingshot and wrist wraps so I had to change things up for this workout.

1 floor press
90 kg x 6
100 kg x 4 - fuck -.-
90 kg x 6
90 kg x 6

2 incline bench press
75 kg x 6
75 kg x 6
75 kg x 6

3 pulls ups (band assisted)
6, 6, 6, 6, 8

4 close grip bench press
80 kg x 6
90 kg x 7
60 kg x 18

5 horizontal, hammer strength-like, row
40 kg per arm x 20
50 kg per arm x 9
Dropset: 50 kg x 6, 40 kg x 6, 30 kg x 6, 20 kg x 10

6 barbell curls
20 kg x 12
Dropset: 25 kg x 12, 20 kg x 20

Notes:

• 2 reps shy of my old floor press PR. Not satisfied and additionally pissed because I didn’t have my slingshot andmy wrist wraps. The set up for my floor press was also very suboptimal. I just set the bar on two dumbbel benches and my girlfriend handed me the weight. On my set with 100 kg I hit the benches on the way up which caused me to lose balance.

1 power cleans
70 kg x 5
70 kg x 5
70 kg x 5

2 deadlifts
125 kg x 6
130 kg x 6
135 kg x 6
120 kg x 5 - ups I should learn how to count
120 kg x 7 - made up for it

3 conditioning challenge with the trap bar loaded to 106 kg.
5 deadlifts - walk 10 meter
4 deadlifts - walk 10 meter
3 deadlifts - walk 10 meter
2 deadlifts - walk 10 meter
1 deadlift - walk 10 meter

4 kneeling ab roll outs
3 x 10

Notes:

• power cleans didn’t feel that powerful so I didn’t increase weight but I increased the volume with the heavier weight.
  • deadlifts actually felt okay finally. I still don’t like how they look and I got a ridiculous pump in my lower back that tells me a) I still pulled too much with my back and b) I am going to have a sore back the next days.
  • because of the prior deadlifts I left my belt on for the trap bar challenge. It wasn’t that hard actually. I would use more weight next time and look for better ground. As you may see in the video the ground wasn’t straight at all. I didn’t even notice until it was time to lift. Felt very weird but my back seemed to be okay with it (probably because the weight was so light). Still a nice conditioning challenge
  • skipped hamstring assistance because of the conditioning. Will make up for it another time.

Video of cleans and deadlifts: 28 06 power cleans and deadlifts - YouTube

Video of conditioning: 28 06 conditioning - YouTube

Lower back is really sore today. I don’t like that feeling. God bless the times where I pulled sumo. I practically didn’t even use my lower back and it never got sore. I could have pulled every other day while I feel with conventional once a week is the absolute max, especially taking strongman training and back squats into account. I don’t even hit deadlifts with the same intensity that I hit squats. But yeah, it is all a learning curve and at least I haven’t gotten injured yet doing conventional deadlifts.

Schedule for training is all over the place so I just hit what I can whenever I can.

1 slingshot bench press
120 kg x 4 - PR
122,5 kg x 3 - PR but wanted 4
110 kg x 4
110 kg x 4

2a incline bench press
75 kg x 6
75 kg x 5
75 kg x 6

2b band assisted pull ups
did not count sets, used different grips and amount of band tension

3 seated cable rows
4 x 10-12

4a reverse flys
3 dropsets

4b close grip bench press
80 kg x 10
50 kg x 21

5 biceps curl giant drop set
started with 4 2,5 kg plates on each side. did as many as possible and dropped a plate until I couldn’t do any more reps with the empty bar.

Notes:

• the last months have payed off, my triceps strength basically went through the roof. I suppose this will help my goals tremendously. Especially regarding my goals in the log press.
  • slingshot pressing was kind of funny. I didn’t check my log and therefore didn’t know what weight I hit last training cycle. So I actually didn’t know that 120 kg was already a 5 kg improvement. Of course I was a little disappointed that I missed a rep with 122,5 kg, mainly because I hate to miss reps. But it still is a PR.

I am now on vacation in Denmark and will nost likely not get as much training done. Back was still a little bit rough from my latest deadlifting combined with excessive sitting. So I wasn’t feeling squats today. Plus I have my girlfriend with me over the weekend and it made more sense to get the one workout done were I need a reliable training partner.

1 slingshot bench press
125 kg x 2 - PR
120 kg x 2
120 kg x 2

2 bench press
100 kg x 4

3a incline bench press
77,5 kg x 4
70 kg x 8

3b db row
About 5~6 sets of 8 with 36 kg

4 db bench press
40 kg x some, dropped to 34 kg x some

Notes:

• gym closed, so I didn’t get more work on my upper back done.
  • slingshot was decent but the second rep with 125 kg was a really tough grinder and the back off sets were pretty grindy as well.
  • I will keep the slingshot for one more training cycle but it seems like progression mske come to a stop soon.
  • incline bench will go. I hate it, my shoulder is not a fan and I seem conpletely unable to progress. Will maybe substitute it for db low incline
  • I plan on doing some conditioning workouts and maybe one more gym workout (the next gym is 35 min fron where we are staying,so that is unpractical) during the week.

Today the playground was my gym.

1 Conditioning:
Rounds consisted of
10 inverted rows, ca. 30 meter sprint, 10 box jumps.

1 minute rest between rounds.

Completed 8 rounds.

2 band assisted pull ups on a football goal
3 sets

Notes:

• was about to make it 10 rounds but my stomach was rebelling and I was about to throw up.
  • this doesn’t look too bad written out but it kicked my ass. Especially the box jumps right after the sprint

It was heavy, it was hard, it was awesome.

Went to a really awesome gym today!

1 squat
125 kg x 4 - ties PR
130 kg x 4 - PR!
120 kg x 4
120 kg x 4

2 sumo deadlifts (t&g)
130 kg x 4
140 kg x 4
150 kg x 4

3 front squat (beltless)
70 kg x 6
70 kg x 6
70 kg x 6

4 back raises on GHR (with band resistance)
2 x 10

5 ab wheel roll outs
2 x 10

Notes:

• some discomfort/ pain in my hip flexors. That is new
  • very nice session!
  • got videos of the squats. Doesn’t even look bad. Will probably upload them when I am back home. It looks like my weight shifted on my feet. Noticed that too late. Had no knee pain however.
  • Back felt up to 95% again. No pain or discomfort even witht the heavy weights.
  • I may leave my heavier weights for sumo and just work technique for my conv. deadlifts. I can’t afford to constantly risk wrecking my back because it inevetibly hinders my progress.

Another awesome vacation session.

1 push press
85 kg x 4
90 kg xx 4 - PR (+1)
80 kg x 4
80 kg x 4

2 pull ups (band assisted)
6,6,5,4 -embarassing as usual

3 OHP
55 kg x 8
55 kg x 8
55 kg x 9

4 pendlay rows from the floor
55 kg x 10
70 kg x 6

5 pendlay rows from 20 kg bumpers
80 kg x 5
Dropset: 90 kg x 3, 80 kg x 3, 70 kg x 3, 50 kg x 4, 40 kg x 6

6 lat pull down
1 set

7 row machine
1 set

8 conditioning circuit
30 seconds work, 15 seconds rest, 1 minute between rounds
One arm kettlebell clean and press (strict) 20 kg
Pendlay rows 40 kg
Battle ropes (“curls”)

Completed 4 rounds

Notes:

• good training. Happy about the small pr
  • this was the first time I went heavy on rows. Usually I do use a lot less weight. I wonder if I should treat this as a strength movement more often?
  • some elbow pain, but otherwise feeling fresh
  • the little circuit was nice. I was drenched in sweat and got a good amount of blood flow in my upper body but the conditioning aspect came short. This stuff is more efective with lower body movements

Light cardio in the form of swimming today. I am even less efficient at swimming than I am at running.
An old sports teacher once said with the amount of force I am exerting I should basically fly through the water, yet I was always one of the worst in class if we had to do something for speed.

This came as a suprise and as a great one I might say.

I have ended my vacation in denmark and am staying with my girlfriend over the weekend who is currently in Flensburg. The night before this workout I got approximately 4 hours of sleep and for some reason I had stomach pain the entire workout.

1 squats
130 kg x 2
135 kg x 2 - PR
140 kg x 2 - fucking double PR! (140 x 2 is a PR and this was the first time squatting 140 without wraps)
130 kg x 2
130 kg x 2
100 kg x 10

2 walking barbell lunges
3 x 10 each leg with 40 kg

Notes:

• awesome to hit these PRs. My squat is the lift progressing the quickest atm when it used to be the lift that progressed the slowest.
  • the 140 double wasn’t even too heavy. That plus hitting this within the described circumstances makes me think I am good for more!
  • the lunges kicked my arse, literally. Never felt a muscle witht this intensity before, at least I can’t remember. It got to the point where it was painful and I started to walk like I had shit my pants.
  • after that we went to a "Jump house"next door. Which is essentially a big house full of cool trampolins. I sweated a lot, so I will count this as cardio.

There’s a good Dan John article on the main site where he basically says the best type of cardio for a person is doing what they’re least efficient at. I’m not going to dilute his words, but it’s a great read.

Video from the 5th of July (Squat and deadlift workout)

Video from the 7th of July (Push Press, rows)

@TX_iron : Hey man, thanks for the suggestion. Will look for this article shortly. I do not like swimming at all but I think it does have benefits. It is unlikely that I am including this often as I don’t really have the time or opportunity to do so when I am not on vacation. I hope your back feels better by now!

1 Like

Mixed feelings about this workout. Was going in with a little bit of a sore back. I think from excessive sitting.

Previous best with the log was 80 kg x 1.

1 log clean and press (clean once)
80 kg x 2 - PR (+1 rep)
82 kg x 2 - PR!
75 kg x 2
75 kg x 2

1b axle pendlay rows (supersetted with everything else)
in total 13 sets of 5 with 56 kg

2 axle OHP
56 kg x 8
56 kg x 8
56 kg x 8

3 curls
30 kg x 15, x 12

Notes:

• really, really bad form on the 82 kg log clean. Don’t even want to post the video. Felt no pain though.
  • a lot of elbow pain today. This was the worst case of elbow pain to date. It was the first time it impeded my workout though. This need to get better. Thought I might try some flossing (unfortunately I have no experience with this) and some elbow sleeves might be helpful but I might not have the money for those. Will see
  • one more workout to go and then I will have a nice deload. I am looking forward to it as a lot of stuff is aching or hurting right now and I also think I kind of earned it with the PRs I hit recently.

No energy throughout the day and one of the very rare occasions where I didn’t want to train. No kidding, I had no desire to go to the gym today and was feeling tired and lethargic.

1 sumo deadlifts
150 kg x 2
155 kg x 2
160 kg x 2 - PR
140 kg x 2
140 kg x 2

2 leg curls
4 x 12

3 pull ups (band assisted)
3 sets

4 paloff-hold
2 sets

5 hip thrusts on the ground
3 x 50 x some reps

6 standing band crunches
2 sets

Notes:

• no psyche up, no special intensity. Just tried to be mechanical and get the job done. still to hit 160 for 2 isn’t bad
  • no back pain
  • looking forward to some rest days and then 4 deload workouts as I am a bit banged up in several areas.
  • got a good deal (at least I think it isn’t bad) on some elbow sleeves. I hope they help. Will test them in my deload week as soon as they arrive.

Bench Deload

1 seated cable row
3 x 20

2 bench press
4 x 5 with 60 kg

Notes:

• very exciting…
  • hip flexor /upper quad area is slightly injured. Hope this is healed up in a week. Squat progress is at it’s best at the moment so it would be really uncool to lay that off. Right now body weight squats hurt and even stairs hurt sometimes. Guess I pulled a muscle.

Staying true to my deload and healing my hip flexor thingy, so no lifting but kind of exciting news.
I found a playce to store and train with my equipment. so I am finally no longer reliant on weather and day light. It is an old cheese factory in my village that has been closed for a long time. I got in contact with someone I know from seeing because he often works as a bouncer at parties and such around here. He and a friend of him whom I also briefly know have rented a big part of the old cheese factory and have worked a lot on it. Right now it mostly is used by them to teach boxing and other combat sports. They have really made a lot out of this place and you can tell that endless hours of work and a lot of heart has gone into building this place up to where it now is. They also have installed a self build gym on the second floor which is pretty nice and which I can use too.
Anyway I made an agreement with them that I can have my own space within the main hall to store and use my strongman equipment! I can also take part in their boxing and self defense classes I feel inclined to do so. The price for this is about what the crappy gym I am still a member of costs me.
I don’t think that I need to tell you guys how happy I am about this! I will move my stuff in Thursday evening and get my own keys then.

Another note on equipment stuff: My lovely girlfriend will organize for me to get a yoke for my birthday! She wants to collect money from my friends and birthday guests and contribute herself.
So mid September I will have a yoke which can be used as a rack and comes with safety catchers so I can finally use my log and axle out of a rack! I pretty much can’t wait for that.

Notes:

• hip flexor is still not right but it is constantly getting less painful. Right now I guess squatting next week would be possible but not wise. Which obviously means I will squat.
  • schedule is really hectic right now. Not solely negative stress but stress nonetheless so even I planned to lift on my deload I am not.
  • under 110 kg as of this morning! That actually means I am 109,9 kg but I take it :smiley:
1 Like

Spending the weekend near Hamburg (one of Germany’s biggest cities) with my girlfriend.
Got to train at a really really awesome gym. Hands down the best I have been to that is not a pure crossfit box.

1 sumo deadlifts
140 kg x 8 - PR
130 kg x 8
130 kg x 8

2 hip thrust on a “glute builder” with holds at the top
40 kg + bands x 10
2 x 50 kg + bands x 10

3 swiss bar bench
Just giving this a shot. Worked up to a medium heavy set of 5, paused.

4 farmer’s walks
Dont know the weight of the handles. Trainer their said 20 kg but wasn’t sure. I guess it is less
2 x 40 kg + handles x 10 meters
1 x 60 kg + handles x 10 meters
1 x 70 kg + handles × 10 meters
1 x 80 kg + handles x fail, couldn’t pick it up

5 prowler push
Prowler + 40 kg for 10m lanes as fast as possible each lane, only stopping to change direction.
X 10 lanes (=100 meters)

6 standing single leg leg curls
3 x 20

7 band assisted pull ups
2 sets

Notes:

• awesome session
  • hip flexor was iffy, but managable
  • would have had the farmer’s but after deaslifts the pick up was ridiculously hard
  • the prowler was awesome! Got my legs burning.

That’s some good news man. It feels good to not have to worry about equipment once and for all. Well wishes for the hip flexor, I’m feeling pretty beat up myself. In time you’ll learn how to adjust variables a bit better to accommodate for feeling like shit. Part of the sport is just finding out how to work out the kinks.

Hey @strongmanvinny2 , thanks for checkin in. The facility I am now in is exactly what was looking for and I am very happy how it worked out. I will upload some pictures shortly. The hip flexor honestly isn’t too bad, I am pretty certain I pulled a muscle but squats this week are still a big question mark. If they aren’t possible I will do some speed pulls instead.
Well you have been pushing risiculously hard lately. Really impressive shit! Any plans on competing anytime soon?

After returning I immediately went training. Energy was understandebly low but body felt pretty decwnt otherwise for just having finished a longer car drive.

1 log press (clean once)
70 kg x 8
75 kg x 8 - PR
65 kg x 8
65 kg x 8

1b pendlay rows (super setted with log)
6 x 65 kg x 5
1 x 60 kg x ?

2 OHP (clean once)
60 kg x 5

3 seated db press
22 kg x 10

4 45° chest supported row
2 x 12 with 1 plate

5 sandbag carry: 56 kg (beltless)
10 lanes a ca. 22 meters as fast as possible.
Managed 4:19 minutes.

Notes:

• love the new place, has the right feeling, I have my own keys, can be as loud as I want or need to and have plenty of space for carries.
  • after how the 70 kg worked out I didn’t think 75 kg would happen but it did without a problem after all.
  • did not warm up for the OHP and just used 60 kg because it alreqdy was on the bar… Stupid idea!
  • after thst there was nothing left in my shoulders.
  • the carry challenge was A LOT harder than I would have expected. Mainly because of the lack of oxygen from carrying the bag pressed against my body. I plan on doing this more regularely with the goal of improving my time.

Forgot one quite cool thing: As of lastThursday I have lost 7 kg from my heaviest weight. Pretty good progress. I am still getting lighter and am maintaining and even building strength!