Trying to be the Pauper Strongman

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a T-Nation lurker for a while but even with all this wonderful knowledge at my fingertips I’ve managed to get myself into the situation so many of us find ourselves in. Training has taken a back seat (well, it was left behind really), forty is quickly approaching and I’m staring 250lbs right in the face.

With a young family, I need to do something and the least sensible thing I could think of was signing up for a Strongman comp in mid-October. There is one caveat…

I’ve always been fascinated by the old-time men who worked the fields. They were strong as oxes but ate on a penny. I’ve done pretty well for myself but I come from humble origins. I’d really like to get back in touch with how my grandparent’s and their ancestors lived - so I’ll be eating pretty simply stuff. I’ll probably break 1000 nutrition rules in the process but what the hell…

I’m going with a modified version of Thib’s 915 program (probably bother him for some questions) - hopefully I won’t make a flat out fool of myself on comp day :slight_smile:

I’ll log what I can, hopefully it is interesting and makes for good reading.

1 Like

I am just curious as to what kind of work you do?

Thanks for dropping in @ChickenLittle, I work in IT, it’s office work.

Today’s Training:
Bench Press 5x4@100kg
Military Press 4x8@40kg
Dick’s Press 4x8@25kg/Demon Bar Curl 4x25@15kg
Front Squat 5x2@80kg

The Demon Bar is a 3" square axle bar which weighs in at 15kg. The Dick’s Press/Demon Bar combo was pure hell. Pretty happy that I finished the workout and the amount I can still bench press.

Front Squat and overhead was a bit more of what I was expecting :frowning: I had some issues pressing properly (tight lats?) and the front squat was fairly ugly stuff. I was surprised with how heavy the weight felt.

Today’s feeding:
Breakfast
Bread - ripped straight off the loaf,
wine & olive oil - couple tbsp each,
walnuts - handful
dried figs x2 drizzled in honey

Lunch
Sardines 110g
Wholewheat Crackers
Feta Cheese
Olives x6

Dinner
Lentil soup (1/2 cup lentils, 1/8 cup olive oil, 2xcarrot, 2xpotato, 1/4 leek, 1/2 tin tomato, chicken stock)
2x egg
bread
diluted wine

Yesterday’s feeding:
Breakfast
Bread - ripped straight off the loaf,
wine & olive oil - couple tbsp each,
walnuts - handful,
dried figs x3 drizzled in honey

Lunch
Sardines 110g
Wholewheat Crackers
Feta Cheese
Olives x6

Dinner
Hoki 400g w/olive oil, lemon & dill
Broccolinni in olive oil, honey and walnut
diluted wine

I like where this is going. And there are no nutrition rules, other than “Don’t eat like an freaking idiot”. Your eating looks fine.

@Canada_K Thanks for dropping by. I’m looking forward to competing but I hope this becomes an interesting log in the meantime.

Training
Deadlift 5x4x140kg
2" Deficit Deadlift 4x8x120kg
Bent-over Row 4x8x70kg

This was haaaard! I had programmed 150kg for the deadlift but I felt a bit of give in my back and decided to drop the weight back. I felt better with my form by the time the deficits rolled around but by then I was gassed haha I’m hoping this time next week I will have a bit more staying power.

Eating
Breakfast & Lunch as per yesterday (added a carrot to breakfast, snowpeas with lunch)
Dinner was half a small roast chicken, 3 roast potatoes, boiled snowpeas and broccolli and diluted wine.
Had some nuts and honey while watching Olympics