Trying the Shut Up Program

I’ve been a High Frequency guy for quite a while. In the interest of changing it up, however, I decided to do a minimum of three weeks of the “Shut Up Program” as a basic introduction into a split program. Here’s a link to the program if you need it:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1460447

This post isn’t to debate the program, that’s not the point.

Anyways, I did the “size” program in terms of reps. As I expected, during the first two weeks, I was horribly sore after ever lifting day. Whatever body part I had done that day was extremely sore for a few days afterwards. I’m now in the middle of day three, and I just noticed something today…I’m not sore…not at all.

My question is if this is likely because my body has gotten used to the same lifts for three weeks in a row or if the lower rep range in weeks three (sets of five) just isn’t getting the job done. By the way, my training age is around a decade (although only a couple years out of a football coach’s program), so we’re not talking about newbie soreness here.

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
I’ve been a High Frequency guy for quite a while. In the interest of changing it up, however, I decided to do a minimum of three weeks of the “Shut Up Program” as a basic introduction into a split program. Here’s a link to the program if you need it:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1460447

This post isn’t to debate the program, that’s not the point.

Anyways, I did the “size” program in terms of reps. As I expected, during the first two weeks, I was horribly sore after ever lifting day. Whatever body part I had done that day was extremely sore for a few days afterwards. I’m now in the middle of day three, and I just noticed something today…I’m not sore…not at all.

My question is if this is likely because my body has gotten used to the same lifts for three weeks in a row or if the lower rep range in weeks three (sets of five) just isn’t getting the job done. By the way, my training age is around a decade (although only a couple years out of a football coach’s program), so we’re not talking about newbie soreness here. [/quote]

Well an author said here once that for hypertrophy you should feel sore “again” after every sixth workout. So if you haven’t reached the sixth workout yet( i think if i read correctly you haven’t) then don’t fret, just change up your grip, hand position, or maybe a rep change is in order. But like it has been said before, soreness is not a good gauge for how effective a workout is, it’s all about progression. After a decade of training, you’d think that would be at the back of your mind by now…

Sure, I understand that being sore isn’t a good gauge of how effective the workout is. I guess I was more just curious as to what the difference was. I was surprised that my body had adapted in under three weeks, so it made me wonder if lower reps just weren’t making me sore.

He doesn’t really give any loading parameters for the program, but maybe you are not working hard enough. Try doing 1 set at your 7RM and then shoot for a 5rm, repeat. That should help you out.