Trying Something New

BW: 86-89kg
Experience: Former collegiate golfer, 10 years experience
1 year, GPP through basketball and lifting out of a garage.
Now: 16months of training. Before tendonosis, brought my squat from 120-143kg in about 6 months. Brought my FS from 62-125kg, deadlift from 130-160kg, bench from 85-105kg.

Snatch: 66kg (roughly 3 months of TOTAL training with a coach)
Clean & Jerk: 86.5kg
Clean: 91kg

I’ll be training between 4-5 days a week, with Saturday being primarily technique work in the Olympic lifts. Felt like starting a training log.

So, there will be one speed lift, one or two strength lifts, and one short/intense metabolic conditioning style circuit. I’m dealing with a couple injuries: tendonosis in both quads, and am waiting on an MRi for a possibly torn meniscus. So very little squatting, but lots of pulling. Lots of pulling.

Speed lifts will be done for 5-8 sets of 1-3 reps (all forms of Olympic lifts, cleans, snatches, jerks)

Strength lifts will be done on a linear progression with moderate volume (5x5)
Except for rows. Those will be high rep for back hypertrophy.

Wednesday:

Clean Pull from (very) low block:
1x5 62kg
1x4 70kg
1x3 80kg
6x3 85.5kg
(some shaky reps, but everything felt fast and like I could clean each and every rep)

Bench Press (warm-ups supersetted with Band pull aparts)
1x10 20kg
1x5 30kg
1x4 43kg
1x3 52kg
1x2 62kg
5x5 87.5kg
Strong. Easy. 4min rest last two sets.

Band Pull aparts with 1in band. 6x10

Bent-Over Rows
1x10 20kg
3x10 62kg

Weighted Hyperextension
3x10 25kg

Good lift today. Hopefully continues the rest of this week. Tendons felt free of pain, but that’s a new development in the last few weeks. Will continue rehab until pain-free for a couple more weeks. Might start including some low jumps in my metcons.

Also: Tendonosis rehab: foam rolling/stretching for mobility about 20min total
Single-leg eccentric squats to chair. Recovery using both arms and legs.
3x10 on left leg, 2x10 on right.

ITB’s were pretty tight today. Tiny inflammation in my knees but nothing unbearable. Did about 15-20min of foam rolling

I’m in. Will you be filming any of your weightlifting?

Some of it. Stuff done outside of the club. When I’m there I want to focus entirely on listening to my coach and watching my teammates

Friday 2/21/2014

Foam rolling: 8min each leg. 4min on back side of ITB, 4min on front side.

Warm-up: 3x 5 Muscle Snatch+5 Klokov press
20kg
30kg
35kg

Snatch high pull:
1x3 35kg
2x2 43kg
2x2 48kg
1x2 52kg
6x2 56kg

Had planned on doing 8x1 at 66kg, but technique felt off. Took a video and indeed my hips were rising too fast and knees coming too far forward on the second pull. So, stayed at 56 and drilled doubles, plus a few power snatches.

Overhead Press:
1x10 20kg
1x5 25kg
1x4 30kg
1x3 35kg
1x2 43kg
5x5 47.5kg
Supersetted with
Band Pull-Aparts
5x10 1.75in band
5x10 1in band

Easy. 5rm is 56kg last time I checked but I haven’t done this in awhile so trying to take it pretty slow.

Metcon:
Cal Strength Death March: 10 steps each leg (about 20yds total)
Dips: 15-12-9
Just a couple minutes. If I repeat this (probably will) I’ll add weight to the dips. They were too easy

Saturday 2/22/2014
Club team practice

Mobility:
15min foam rolling
10x5 Shoulder dislocations

Warm-up:
Overhead squats
Muscle/Power/Full snatch with PVC pipe

3x5 Muscle Snatch 5 Klokov Press
20kg
20kg
20kg

Snatch High Pull from Knee:
2x4 40kg
2x3 50kg
2x3 55kg
6x2 60kg

I’m pretty sure there were some sets of 3 in there on the 60kg sets. An extra rep or two if coach has a technique fix in the middle of a set.

Clean Pull from Mid-Shin:
3x4 60kg
1x4 70kg
1x4 75kg
5x4 80kg

Again, probably an extra rep or two.

Split Jerk from Blocks:
1x 50kg
1x 55kg
1x 60kg
1x 65kg
1x 70kg
2x 75kg
3x 80kg
1x 85kg
1x 90kgx

Hit myself in the chin on the rep at 90. Bled a little. Gah, this would have been a PR jerk. Honestly felt like I might have had 95 or more.

Cool-Down:
Foam Rolling: 15min on foam roller
with PVC pipe: about 5min
with Softball: about 3min per leg
Rolly stick thingy: 10 rolls per leg/ITB

Inflammation flare up. Going to be making an appt with Kerlan Jobe and trying to get PRP. If that doesn’t work, about all that’s left is the surgical option to remove scar tissue and help repair the tendons.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Inflammation flare up. Going to be making an appt with Kerlan Jobe and trying to get PRP. If that doesn’t work, about all that’s left is the surgical option to remove scar tissue and help repair the tendons.[/quote]

Knees? Elbows? Shoulders?

I didn’t see where you mentioned.

(EDIT: I read a little closer. Sometimes I miss stuff when I read on my PC that I see when I’m on my phone. Both knees? Any issues at your hips?)

At some point I’d like to learn the olympic lifts; I’ve got other near term priorities though. Why did you decide to go down that path?

I’m doing something similar, minus the conditioning of course, so I’ll be watching.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Inflammation flare up. Going to be making an appt with Kerlan Jobe and trying to get PRP. If that doesn’t work, about all that’s left is the surgical option to remove scar tissue and help repair the tendons.[/quote]

Knees? Elbows? Shoulders?

I didn’t see where you mentioned.

(EDIT: I read a little closer. Sometimes I miss stuff when I read on my PC that I see when I’m on my phone. Both knees? Any issues at your hips?)

At some point I’d like to learn the olympic lifts; I’ve got other near term priorities though. Why did you decide to go down that path?[/quote]

Yep, both knees. I’ve been through formal rehab (helped, but the rehab I’ve done on my own has been more beneficial) long term rest, trigger point therapy, ART, form fixes (coaches haven’t found anything wrong) and all kinds of soft tissue manipulation. My hips are more mobile and looser than they’ve ever been, as are my ankles.

What happens, at this point, is I rehab and rest until I’m pain free, am fine for about 4 days (training doesn’t change in that time) and then I get an inflammation flare up. This will die down in about 1-2 weeks, at which point I can start rehab for the tendonosis again. So, shitty cycle that I haven’t been able to break out of in the last 3 months of so. But its progress. I spent 5 months with little to no improvement (May-October) and I HAVE had some pain free squat sessions (no pain before, during, or in the days following). But I’m afraid I’m at my wits end, and my patience is wearing thin.

I decided to learn the Olympic lifts because I enjoy the movements more than in powerlifting. When done well, the powerlifts are impressive. But they don’t necessarily display a great amount of athleticism. When the Olympics lifts are done well, however, they almost look like art.

Soft tissue work with a softball today. 2 sessions, one of about 4min a leg, another that last about 6min per leg.

[quote]ishinator wrote:
I’m doing something similar, minus the conditioning of course, so I’ll be watching. [/quote]

Why no conditioning? I know that if it weren’t for the fact that my sleep has been absolutely abysmal the last 8 weeks or so, this plan would not be terribly difficult to recover from. At least not at the moment. It will probably get tougher once bench gets back to about 95kg for 5x5. Or if I start training some heavy deadlifts (don’t think I’ll be doing that though).

Monday 2/24/2014

Warm-Up

3x 5 Muscle Snatch 5 Klokov Pres
20kg
30kg
35kg

Snatch High Pull from High Block
1x3 35kg
1x3 62kg
1x2 66kg
5x2 70kg

Romanian Deadlift
1x8 62kg
1x5 66kg
1x4 70kg
1x3 85kg
5x5 95kg
PR. Easy

MetCon:
5min AMRAP
5 Pull-Ups
5 OHP at 80lbs

8 rounds 4 Pull-Ups

Twinge in the knee I’m getting an MRi on. First time it has ever actually hurt. usually it just feels kinda funny/

MRI is scheduled for 11am tomorrow. As long as the place doesn’t lag on me like they did with my last scan, I should have the results and an appt for an Orthopaedic consultation by Friday.

Wednesday 2/26/2014

Had MRI yesterday. Hopefully get the results back tomorrow or Friday

No foam rolling yet today.

Warm-Up
2x5 Muscle Snatch 5 Klokov Press
20kg
30kg

Probably gonna start upping warm up weights. Getting pretty routine.

High-Hang Power Clean:
2x3 30kg
1x3 52kg
2x2 66kg
5x2 75kg
1x2 80kg (Missed second rep)

All sets up through 66kg were from the hip.

Bench Press:
1x10 20kg
1x5 30kg
1x4 43kg
1x3 52kg
1x2 62kg
5x5 88.50kg

Superset with 1in Band Pull-Aparts:
10x10

Barbell Row:
1x10 20kg
1x10 43kg
3x10 66kg

Kroc Row:
1x24 60lbs

All dumbbells in my university weight room are in pounds, not kilos.
Last 2 sets of bench sucked. Couldn’t keep my shoulders tucked after rep 3. But I made the weights.
I think I’m gonna drop down to 3x5 for bench after this because my form breaks down in the last two sets.

Power Snatch, finished a little on the toes, and hips rose a little too fast.

Friday 2/28/2014

Mobilty:
Foam rolling for 20min

Warm-Up
2x5 Muscle Snatch 5 Klokov Press 5 Overhead squat
20kg
35kg

Hang Snatch
2x3 35kg
1x3 43kg
2x2 52kg
1x1 55kg
1x1 62kg (PR)
1x1 66kg (PR)
2 misses at 70kg

MetCon:
7min AMRAP
5 Ball Slams 10lbs
5 Box Jumps 30in

11rnds. Had enough time for 12 but I was gassed.

Shoulder Press:
1x10 20kg
1x5 30kg
1x4 35kg
1x3 37.5kg
1x2 43kg
5x5 47.75kg
Superset with Band Pull-Aparts
10x10 1in band

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
4x10 10lbs

So, my training partner worked out yesterday and did shoulder press and the lateral raises so I said we could do the conditioning and he could jet. BUT, this screwed me over because it took me like 20min to recover enough to do my work sets for shoulder press. So my normal 75-90min workout took 2hrs (not counting mobility work).

But, 2 PRs on hang snatch. I’m noticing on hang variations I’m having a problem jumping forward. Not sure why this is, but I noticed that when I pull from the blocks with the same weights I don’t jump forward. Anyways: good session today. The metcon was miserable. I loathe conditioning.

Scratch that. I think I know what it is. When I do lifts from the hang my shoulders tend to get behind the bar too soon, whereas pulling from the blocks I’m keeping my shoulders over the bar longer.

Edit: I also need to stop looking down, even after the lift’s completed. That’s a really bad habit I’ve been working on breaking.

The reason I’m not catching at rock bottom is because truthfully I’m a little scared of squatting down further than necessary because of my tendonosis (which felt almost non-existent today, which is why I decided to do some snatches instead of just snatch pulls). So I know I’m just barely breaking parallel, but that’s as low as I needed to go to catch it.

MRI came back positive for a meniscus tear. I’ll be calling the orthopedist tonight I think.