Trying Something New

I’m sick of my training protocol. It’s been boring and my results are beggining to stagnate. So I had this idea. Now I know a lot of people believe less is better and all that bull shit and in some cases it is, DC training is one example, but I think that more can be better too.

So with that being said, I pulled out my trusty encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding by Schwarzenegger, and listed every exercise I could possibley do for each muscle group at home. I have no car and am shit out of money because I’ve been paying for school, so training at home is a must. Thank God for mail order supplements too, and I still mange to get out and buy steaks every once in awhile. Things like this wont stop me!

Anyways, instead of doing the typical 10-12sets of chest or whatever I was doing, I decided to just hit 5 exercises ranging anywhere from 8-2 sets. I actually did 8 on flat bench, 4 on incline, 2 on flys, 2 on incline flys, and 2 on dips.

I did this all within an hour and it was a killer workout. I felt accomplished when I finished. It was rejuvinating, refreshing, and was what I was looking on.

I guess the question is who else has had success with a pretty high volume workout? Now my rep ranges are all over the place but I like that and I went anywhere from 310 for 3 reps on bench all the way to 10 reps of the 75 pound DBS on flys. So I guess I’ll just stick with this and record my progress. I’ll be doing this for every muscle group.

Actually thinking about it I know a lot of guys that have had success with this, Arnold being the biggest success of high volume training. So I guess the point of this post was to just throw out there that sometimes drastic changes are needed to keep you motivated and to stimulate new strength and size gains.

When I do higher volume, it’s easier to stay lean. I also get the most rebound (in weight) the week or two after I switch

I have always trained with very high volume and will continue you to do so. IMO it’s one of the most effective ways to induce hypertrophy.

I’m pretty sure the majority of the big fellas here use the high volume approach.

I actually did the advanced program in Arnold’s encyclopedia for about 2-3 months with pretty good results. Actually the results were great. Although there is no way in hell I could of done chest, back, legs, calves and abs in the same day.

I made some really good progress each workout and put some good size on my chest and arms, although I did end up with some overuse injuries shortly after I stopped.

And for the record, the workouts would usually be 90mins - 2hrs. I had alot of fun with it too, which is important.

Were the sets you did for each exercise done in a ramp up style to a top set or was it multiple work sets at the same weight? If its the latter, how do you plan to progress on the exercises?

[quote]SquatDeep385 wrote:
Were the sets you did for each exercise done in a ramp up style to a top set or was it multiple work sets at the same weight? If its the latter, how do you plan to progress on the exercises?[/quote]

I do both pyramids and straight sets. Progression is all about adding another rep, or extra weight tot he bar. You can do this either using straight sets or pyramids. Both work great in my opinion. Eat big, lift big and results will follow.

Good riddance man. Like everyone knows the iron game is all about listening to your body and if this is what you need right now then fuck yeah, give it 1000%. Lookin forward to your results.

I know my chest responds (hypertrophy not strength) better to this type of workout than any other body part.

Alternating volume (low 12 weeks, high 6 weeks…) can be a very effective way to blow up every time you change your program. I’m not a HIIT guy, but I have fluctuated somewhere from 7 to 20 sets per bodypart in my programs (for back I may do more sets).