T Nation

Trying for a 500 Squat.

Hey guys. I attempted 500 pounds today and squat and almost had it. First I started out my workout with no maxing out in mind.

Second before I had done this I did my regular squat workout that I do thats 5 reps 3 reps 2 reps and finally 1. Then my friend saw me do 405 for the last rep and it was amazingly easy.

Then I attempted the 500. First time didnt go low enough may 3 inches from parallel, but got it up. Second time tried again got to parallel almost had it but was so tired I just fell. So Friday I will attempt it again. How should I prepare? what should I do for squat wise to warm up?

Post a video of your form.

If your going Max.

Warm up with some running, stretch, lift 225x3 305x2 405x2 then go for the big one after 3-5 mins. Some warmup less but i’m all about safety.

Sorry friend I really wish I could post a video but I do not own a video camera or a cellphone. And with cellphones the quality is horrendous. All my friends who spot/watch me say that my form is just fine for that much weight.

i would make smaller jumps in weight than what oldfart said, only because a 95lb jump is to much, at least for me… i would still get a single around 450ish…

[quote]MarineStrong_Zm wrote:
Hey guys. I attempted 500 pounds today and squat and almost had it. First I started out my workout with no maxing out in mind.

Second before I had done this I did my regular squat workout that I do thats 5 reps 3 reps 2 reps and finally 1. Then my friend saw me do 405 for the last rep and it was amazingly easy.

Then I attempted the 500. First time didnt go low enough may 3 inches from parallel, but got it up. Second time tried again got to parallel almost had it but was so tired I just fell. So Friday I will attempt it again. How should I prepare? what should I do for squat wise to warm up?[/quote]

I tend to do: (With my weights)

2x5 - 50kg, 60kg
1x3 - 80kg
1x2 - 100kg
2x1 - 120kg
Max - 140kg
Max?? - 142.5kg

I stretch and warm up with very light weight maybe the bar, then I do a couple reps of jump squats. Put a little weight on the bar or just the bar, perform your squat and explode up in the jumping movement getting off the ground. Do this with light enough weight you don’t hurt yourself, but heavy enough to feel it during the explosive part. you can do it with bodyweight if you wish too. you should feel a small pump with this but do not tire the muscles at all. I remember reading like 3 years ago that this helps with muscle and nerve memory.

It also “primes” (if that’s the word) the fast twitch muscle fibers for activity. Most of the fast twitch fibers don’t assist in a movement that is slow until the body recognizes that it needs them to run/lift/etc. Many fast twitch fibers aren’t contracting until the final reps of your set. Sorry if this sounds bogus or I am completely wrong but I swear i remember reading it somewhere. Correct me somebody if I’m wrong. I’ve found this helps with bench as well. I might search around a bit and post a thread with this to see if somebody els out there knows what i’m talking about. lol i do this with bench too doing the explosive movements on a smith machine so i don’t accidentally knock myself out throwing a bar up in the air with no guidance. lol
hope this helps

-Gerdy

i think that after squatting 405 the man was plenty warmed up. I’m not even at such colossal weights but my two cents tell me that 95lbs is quite a leap. I’d take baby steps so you can nail that sum bitch! Then you get yourself a spiffy 500 Squat club tee. yeah buddy!

Shouldn’t this be in strength sports rather than bodybuilding?

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
i think that after squatting 405 the man was plenty warmed up. I’m not even at such colossal weights but my two cents tell me that 95lbs is quite a leap. I’d take baby steps so you can nail that sum bitch! Then you get yourself a spiffy 500 Squat club tee. yeah buddy! [/quote]

I totally agree.

Joe

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Shouldn’t this be in strength sports rather than bodybuilding?[/quote]

Bodybuilders don’t squat?

cueball

[quote]cueball wrote:
eigieinhamr wrote:
Shouldn’t this be in strength sports rather than bodybuilding?

Bodybuilders don’t squat?

cueball[/quote]

Bodybuilders eat, and there is a nutrition section. This post fits much more in strength sports

you aint a bodybuilder if you ain’t squattin’ nuff said!

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
you aint a bodybuilder if you ain’t squattin’ nuff said! [/quote]

What’s that got to do with what I was saying? If you don’t eat you’re not a bodybuilder, yet we have a nutrition section.

When I squatted 500 my sets went like this

135x10
135x8
225x5
315x1
405x1
455x1
475x1
500x1

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
you aint a bodybuilder if you ain’t squattin’ nuff said!

What’s that got to do with what I was saying? If you don’t eat you’re not a bodybuilder, yet we have a nutrition section.[/quote]

Dont worry man I understand you…i think everybody else is just giving you a hard time :wink: lol

Gerdy

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Shouldn’t this be in strength sports rather than bodybuilding?[/quote]

Dose it really matter either way?