Trying EDT for the Next 3-4 Weeks

For the next 3-4 weeks I have decided to do EDT before going back to one of the NROL routines. This was todays routine. I am doing an upper/lower split. I am not doing the Mon/Tues Thrs/Fri. Instead I am doing a day on/day off.

A1) flat dumbbell press 70 for 35 reps total
A2) Seated cable rows 120 for 35 reps
For 15 min I will do a set of each exercise. Once I hit the 15 min mark, I stop

B1) standing dumbell press 35 for 20 reps (too light) 40 for 15 reps
B2) pull/chins bw for 35 reps
Same as above.

C1) Close grip bench 135 for 25 reps
C2) towell dumbell curls 25 for 25 reps
Did these two exercise for 10 min.

[quote]gmantheman wrote:
For the next 3-4 weeks I have decided to do EDT before going back to one of the NROL routines. This was todays routine. I am doing an upper/lower split. I am not doing the Mon/Tues Thrs/Fri. Instead I am doing a day on/day off.

A1) flat dumbbell press 70 for 35 reps total
A2) Seated cable rows 120 for 35 reps
For 15 min I will do a set of each exercise. Once I hit the 15 min mark, I stop

B1) standing dumbell press 35 for 20 reps (too light) 40 for 15 reps
B2) pull/chins bw for 35 reps
Same as above.

C1) Close grip bench 135 for 25 reps
C2) towell dumbell curls 25 for 25 reps
Did these two exercise for 10 min.[/quote]

For your reps listed, do you mean total reps completed in the 15-minute time frame? For example, you used 135lbs in the close-grip bench for 25 total reps? So you basically did sets of 2-3 reps the entire time?

Your total reps seem low…much lower than normally prescribed for EDT. Normally, you would aim for a minimum of 40 total reps, and in Staley’s latest article, he talked about hitting 50-70 total reps per exercise during each 15-minute time frame. This applies to hypertrophy.

I used EDT when it was first introduced. I picked a weight I could do 10 reps with and then started out doing sets of five. At the end of a 15-minute time frame, I would hit a minimum of 40 reps (usually broken down into 8 sets of 5 or 10-12 sets of 5,4,3,2 or 1).

He recommends setting it up differently if going for maximal strength.

It was total reps. I know I could have done more. I was doing 5 reps for my 10 rep max. Next time I will shoot for 6-8 reps.

[quote]gmantheman wrote:
It was total reps. I know I could have done more. I was doing 5 reps for my 10 rep max. Next time I will shoot for 6-8 reps. [/quote]

You must have taken way too much rest. If doing 5 rep sets with a weight you can handle for 10 reps, you should have been able to do a minimum of 8 sets of each exercise in 15 minutes.

Your rest breaks are supposed to be very short (or none at all in the beginning). As you tire, you lower the reps and try to keep the rest breaks short (10-20 seconds between exercises/sets).

I think I did take too much rest. I will work legs today and shoot for 40-50 reps on each exercise.

The thing about EDT is that it is self-adjusting. Since your goal is to beat your previous best volume then next time you will be forced to take less rest.

Fri 09Mar07

A1)Front squats 125 43 reps total
A2) weighted hypers 35LBS 43 reps total
For 15 Min I went back and forth between these two exercise

B1) dumbbell lunge 40 41 reps total
B2) pull thru 90 41 reps total
same as above

My front and back squats are suffering. I believe it is due to my lowerback. Wed was my first visit with a P.T. I am scheduled to visit a P.T 2x a week for the next 3weeks.

He, the P.T told me not to do hvy deads for the next three weeks. He told me I could do light deads as long as they didn’t hurt, but to be safe, no deads or back squats for the next 3-4 weeks.

Just keep beating your PR, and the reps and rest times will take care of themselves.

Enjoys the simplicity of the program.

I must have underestimated my first upperbody session. Here is today’s workout
Sunday 11Mar07

A1)Flat dumbbell bench 70LBS 66reps total
A2)Cable rows 110 56 reps total
15min

B1)standing dumbbell press 40LBS 52 reps total
B2) pullups bw 49 reps total
15 min

C1)closegrip bench 140 25 reps total
C2)Towel dumbbell curls 25LBS 25 reps total
10 min

How does Charles change EDT for mass? I started using EDT this week and it kicked my ass! My chest and bicep workout was great and I kept my “pump” for 24 hrs. Although, my back and tricep workout I felt avg. pump and didn’t last long. Oh well. No sorenss from either, which was a huge suprise.

How does Charles change EDT for mass? I started using EDT this week and it kicked my ass! My chest and bicep workout was great and I kept my “pump” for 24 hrs. Although, my back and tricep workout I felt avg. pump and didn’t last long. Oh well. No sorenss from either, which was a huge suprise.